English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 21 December 2002, 04:04   #1
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

Article: 50 Most Influential Games

I don't agree with alot of these games. And most are not Amiga games. the whole flavour of the article reeks of PC, but, as any true Amiga fan knows, the Amiga version of any of these games were superior. If an Amiga version existed, of course!

Anyway have a look and share some thoughts.

http://www.pcgameplay.co.uk/best50.htm

Last edited by Fred the Fop; 21 December 2002 at 15:32.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 21 December 2002, 13:02   #2
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

Hmmmm kinda like my suggestion of 'Top 10 Amiga milestone games' for Cody's next list.
Shame he never got round to it.
Old 21 December 2002, 15:19   #3
BippyM
Global Moderator

This list was obviously voted for by mainly PC users, The most influential games were most likely on the older consoles and 8 bit machines, where is lemmings, Sonic etc.. Doom just started the FPS nothing more, and it is only because of modern technology that it has improved and really 3D became a natural progression of 2D?!?

Surely the most influential was Space Invaders as it pretty much started the whole genre!
Old 21 December 2002, 15:24   #4
7-Zark-7
Zone Friend

@Fred. I agree with ya it reeks of PC ignorance alright! Doom the most influential game of all time? Funny how there's numerous F.P.S. entries,(& PC strategy games), & yet I don't think I saw a single 2D shooter, & barely any 2D platform/sprite scrolly type games made classic on the 8bit & 16bit home computing formats.
Possibly because a)The PC was crap at this format & crap in general at the time.
B) Who exactly comprised of this poll? After all, may of the classic development teams responsible for the 8bit/16bit classics are no longer in the industry.

"Where is Peter Molyneaux nowadays?". Erm, forgive me here but isn't Lionhead Studios & "Black & White" indications he hasn't vanished?!

That question could be asked of Chris Roberts,(Wing Commander fame), or Archer Maclean etc.

I'm NOT trying to be anti-pc games here. I don't mind a game of Starcraft for example,(particulary against a mate modem to modem). But I did think the list was as repetitive as it was average. (And as Fred intimates gives the impression that most games that existed prior to the modern PC weren't important/ groundbraking)
Geez, next they'll say Lemmings was a PC product!
Old 21 December 2002, 15:34   #5
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

Bippy and 7 Zark, you guys said it! No shooters??? Where's Mario Bros?? And if they are going to put a PeeCee strategy game, how come Panzer General is not up?? Seems the smutmouth is happy that the masses got their FPS garbage.
Old 21 December 2002, 19:46   #6
Akira

This message is posted before I read the article...

I bet this is a load of PC games like Doom and Quake, and they throw some milestone brands in the middle to look like they know their retro stuff (I smell of Pacman or Defender)

Let's see... will post again after reading it.
Old 21 December 2002, 19:54   #7
oldpx

Quote:
11. Super Mario 64
Nintendo (1996)
LOL! Mario?? Influential?? It's not even the original mario! what a lame list!
Quote:
13. Laser Squad
Julian Gollop (1988)
Does OLD games have to be good? No, this one looks like goldbox rpg games, only uglier.
Quote:
27. ChronoTrigger
Squaresoft (1995)
???
Quote:
42. Lords Of Midnight
Beyond Software (1984)
!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?
Quote:
1. Doom
id Software (1994)
!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!

Old 21 December 2002, 20:02   #8
Akira

Lots of FPS garbage, but not that bad of a list after all. There are plenty of computer games, I agree some console ganmes should be there like Sonic, and yes, where the hell are shooters like Gradius?and Pole Position?? What about Pitfall?

I can even understand the 1st position... The current load of FPS shite is an indicator of how "influential" this Doom thing is.

I need a time machine to go back and burn down ID Software.
Old 21 December 2002, 20:04   #9
Akira

Burz, if you think about the list as "influential", Doom could be blamed for all the shite we see today. Though I do not understand why Wolfenstein 3D is 4 spots below it. They are the SAME shite and Wolfenstein should be to blam, really. The list lacks common sense. They list both Mario 64 and Super mario Bros. Both Dune and command an Conquer. It's a load of rubbish.
Old 21 December 2002, 20:20   #10
oldpx

I'm not against modern and influential games if there are any. Actually there are some, like Daggerfall and Arena before it. (I did not play the prequel.)

I can create a top 50 games list the way I like, Cody can make his own top 20,50,100 and be subjective as he wants to but one takes great responsibility when he decides to create a list named "top 50 most influential games". If such list is to be created, titles that define genres should be chosen, like the first identifiable japanese style roleplaying game, and the first game with platforms, and some titles that enhance the playability of a specific genre.

Old 22 December 2002, 01:12   #11
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

And it does dare to calll itself "The Big 50 Most Influential Games Of All Time", but with Doom at the top, the All Time should be replaced with Modern Gaming. And PC should be somewhere in that title because computer/console games have been around a hell of a lot longer than the PC gaming scene. Sure, Doom and Wolfenstein influenced today's game market...but All Time? Sheesh! PC gamers are so self-referential! To believe that list, one might think shoot-em-ups and platformers barely existed. And Falcon 3.0? FSII was the one that really got the flight sim genre going, so they misfired again. The list seems to waffle between what they think are great games and influential games.

You've seen one list, you've seen them all. Opinions are like assholes...we all have one.
Old 22 December 2002, 01:24   #12
Djay
breakpointUK.com

Send a message via MSN to Djay
hmmm.. so where is Zelda in this list...

i would imagine that voters, voted for stuff like Pong... just to prove to themselves that they are "Old-Skool" "Gameheads", but in reality... they probably never played these classics first time around...

where is Lemmings....?
where is Dizzy....?
where is Pole Position....?

surely they do not need Quake in there list as it was influenced by Doom (itself, the 1st placed game)

tsk... PC owners EH!!!???
Old 22 December 2002, 01:45   #13
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

This list is completely stupid. Laser Squad is referenced as one of the most influential games ever, and X-Com is a little ahead, a game that's already influenced by Laser Squad!

And then the same happens with Command & Conquer/Dune 2/Age of Empires/Starcraft/Warcraft, or Doom/Quake/Wolfenstein/Counter Strike.

Then they throw Dig-Dug. WHAT GAME DIG-DUG INFLUENCED? No doubt it's a great game , I love it to the bits, but the only game I can remember it influenced is Boulderdash, and still it's hard to say that.

Then there's Chrono Trigger, which is influenced by dozens of other older japanese RPGs. It's basically Final Fantasy without "Invisible, Random enemies" and a very good plot. Nothing more.

@Burseg

Laser Squad actually it's a very good turn based strategy game, and unlike most strategy games, you don't need to play it for ages to get the most of it. The game is just about STRATEGY and no "develop weapon/make money/management" stuff. Actually, I can say it's basically UFO without the management stuff, and with more interesting missions. For some reason they showed a pic of the spectrum version, that as you may guess, it's the worst looking version of all. Try the Amiga version, it's a great game.
Old 22 December 2002, 02:49   #14
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

Quote:
Originally posted by Twistin'Ghost
Opinions are like assholes...we all have one.
Clint Eastwood - The Enforcer I think.
Old 22 December 2002, 15:20   #15
KombatSanta
Pipboy approved

Send a message via ICQ to KombatSanta
@Burseg: Lord of midnight is a fantastic game!

Anyway... voting for top 100 games ever is like voting for top 100 songs ever or top 100 fotball players ever.... People only remember what was going on 5 to 10 years ago and therefore forgets about games like Zelda, musical masterpieces like New Order - Blue Monday and players like George Best because they get lost in the ever growing realeses of new games, songs and players (well you don't actually realese a player other than on free transfer, but you know what I mean!).

If only people sat down to do some serious research of what they played throughout their life I bet the list would have been different, but now people see the poll and votes for the first games that is still fresh in their minds.
Old 22 December 2002, 15:49   #16
oldpx

This is not a toplist dudes, this is the most influential games list. Some games here, might be good but does they deserve to be in the list when no one knows about them?

Old 22 December 2002, 16:03   #17
KombatSanta
Pipboy approved

Send a message via ICQ to KombatSanta
Quote:
Originally posted by Burseg
This is not a toplist dudes, this is the most influential games list. Some games here, might be good but does they deserve to be in the list when no one knows about them?
Oh-uhm... ok, but my earlier post applies to that too, with some modification.

And, No, games like Mario 64 shouldn't be on the list as it hasn't influenced other games.
Old 23 December 2002, 05:27   #18
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

New Order - Blue Monday is great indeed.

And Burseg, if you are also taking my "Laser Squad" comment when saying that, I say that I believe Laser Squad was rather sucessfull when it was first released, getting good reviews all around, and being published to many different systems.

But I don't think it should be in the list
Old 23 December 2002, 08:35   #19
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

Burseg's hopes for a Turkish game based on "A Rock Star Swallowed My Hamster"
were dashed when Zeki Muren declined to sign on for the game.
Old 23 December 2002, 12:03   #20
manicx

Mostly are Ok, but I found the comment in Sensible Soccer a bit offensive to the KO2 community. If Kick Off 2 is not to be included in there then I can't be bothered playing any other games in my life.
AdSense AdSense