English Amiga Board Amiga Lore

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 31 May 2015, 12:16   #1
thellier

Disabling go.microsoft.com/DirectX ?

Hello
I am using WinUAE on various PC
On my main laptop PC all works fine :-) VERY GREAT
But on some other old PCs I have all the time InternetExplorer that open to access to go.microsoft.com....
Is it a way to never have this "go.microsoft.com" access ???
I mean a simple text-alert that say "You should go to microsoft product xx" would be enough
There are lots of reasons that explain why I dont want to update those old machines (no full internet access and/or simple user privileges and/or PC too old a all...)

I have readed that simply enabling Misc/Graphics Api/Direct Draw avoid this but this is NOT the case

Note: once the "go.microsoft.com" access closed all those old PCs works with WinUAE

Alain Thellier
AdSense AdSense  
Old 31 May 2015, 12:27   #2
s2325
Zone Friend

You may just rename Internet Explorer executable file to something else.
Old 31 May 2015, 12:52   #3
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

It does not open it if DirectDraw is enabled and you don't use anything that requires D3D, like hardware RTG.

I am not going to change it because too many users think assume "I have Windows 7 or newer = I have DirectX.". No, you don't.

EDIT: Test latest 3.1 beta, I think there was some change related to this.

Last edited by Toni Wilen; 31 May 2015 at 13:25.
Old 01 June 2015, 03:54   #4
Ami_GFX

I'm another one that would like the nag to update DirectX be given the option to disable. For whatever reason, I can't get things to look like they do on a real Amiga if I do the DirectX update but I can with the DirectX as is. I've managed to get RTG modes to work but not native Amiga modes with DirectX updated and ended up rolling back DirectX to its previous state and putting up with the nag to update. This is with emulated PPC and PIV. I am working with direct copies of the systems I use in my real Amigas and the only big change from the real A4000D system to the emulated one is to change the RTG card from Cybervision 64 to Picasso IV. I can feed the VGA from the Thinkpad i5 notebook I'm using for Winuae to the same monitor I'm using with my A4000 and do side by side comparisions and Winuae with DirectX in the default Windows configuration works better for me and the output is slightly different from the real thing but not by much but I can't get nearly that close if I update DirectX
Old 01 June 2015, 07:28   #5
PeterK

Edit your Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts file.
First, you may have to change the attributes to make the hosts file writable. If your firewall or virus-scanner protects this file, disable them.

Then add the following line:
Code:
127.0.0.1 go.microsoft.com
That should redirect these calls to the localhost loopback device (>NIL

But all calls to go.microsoft.com will be blocked this way. !!

Last edited by PeterK; 01 June 2015 at 07:35.
Old 01 June 2015, 08:12   #6
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ami_GFX View Post
I'm another one that would like the nag to update DirectX be given the option to disable. For whatever reason, I can't get things to look like they do on a real Amiga if I do the DirectX update but I can with the DirectX as is. I've managed to get RTG modes to work but not native Amiga modes with DirectX updated and ended up rolling back DirectX to its previous state and putting up with the nag to update. This is with emulated PPC and PIV. I am working with direct copies of the systems I use in my real Amigas and the only big change from the real A4000D system to the emulated one is to change the RTG card from Cybervision 64 to Picasso IV. I can feed the VGA from the Thinkpad i5 notebook I'm using for Winuae to the same monitor I'm using with my A4000 and do side by side comparisions and Winuae with DirectX in the default Windows configuration works better for me and the output is slightly different from the real thing but not by much but I can't get nearly that close if I update DirectX
What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterK View Post
Edit your Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts file.
First, you may have to change the attributes to make the hosts file writable. If your firewall or virus-scanner protects this file, disable them.

Then add the following line:
Code:
127.0.0.1 go.microsoft.com
That should redirect these calls to the localhost loopback device (>NIL

But all calls to go.microsoft.com will be blocked this way. !!
Are you serious? go.microsoft.com is microsoft redirector and huge amount of pages use it..
Old 01 June 2015, 08:31   #7
PeterK

Who needs Microsoft ??

Check the start page of your Internet Explorer under Extras->Internet Options and set it to an empty blank page if this is still something like go.microsoft.com\blabla or similar shit.
Old 01 June 2015, 08:36   #8
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

I don't think you understood. go.* links are used in many web pages. Are you really suggesting to break them all? (Nothing to do with IE)

(I am still waiting for actual report, including config and logs when the message appears with DirectDraw pre-selected. If you really want some working solution.)

EDIT: Ok, brower window can go but I'll blame you if someone again asks that "why it does it complain about missing DX because I have Windows 7+ and it has DirectX built-in because I was told so even when games come with DX redistributable and won't work without installing it..."

Last edited by Toni Wilen; 01 June 2015 at 20:43.
Old 02 June 2015, 06:31   #9
Ami_GFX

I'm feeling I mistated something. I'm not getting IE opening to go.microsoft.com but I am getting a slight difference in the display of native Amiga modes when I update DirectX. My subjective judgement is that I prefer the quality of the default DirectX but the difference is very slight and I don't think it's really worth bothering over. The easiest thing I could propose is that an option be made to disable the nag screen. I just tested the Winuae 3.0 and 3.1 Beta 22 with both the default DirectX and the updates applied. There doesn't seem to be any diffrence in the display quality of native Amiga modes if the configuration is the same between 3.0 and 3.1B22 and only slight differences between the default and updated DirectX.
Old 02 June 2015, 15:53   #10
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Real question still remains: No one still hasn't explained when the warning dialog appears with DirectDraw already selected in Misc panel.

Dialog removal won't make any sense because it forces DirectDraw which is exactly same as manually setting mode to DirectDraw (misc panel).

-

"Quality" is meaningless, for me best quality = 100% sharp pixel perfect output, your opinion may be totally different: screenshots needed!

DirectDraw "quality" is driver dependant but most commonly it has exact same output as Direct3D with bilinear option enabled.

Direct3D: "quality" is your choice (bilinear on/off), all kinds of shader filters etc.
Old 03 June 2015, 16:16   #11
thellier

Hello
Sorry for late answer but I was wanting to tests on my 4 PCs at different places...
So I tested winuae_3100b22
I am using WinUAE ppc OS41FE config
Misc/Graphics Api/Direct Draw is setted
The Amiga boot on 68k ok then run ppc then OS41 bootscreen then go-microsoft
So It appear when ppc emulation start to use RTG

OK I know you will say "but RTG on ppc emulation need recent directx for xxx reasons"
perhaps but in fact WinUAE/OS41FE works on those PCs
So what really cause problems on a small/old/lowmem/slow PC is wanting to open InternetExplorer concurrently with WinUAE

Alain Thellier

Edit for resuming: Not having the good directx dont disturb me for my OS41FE usage. The only thing that hang drastically WinUAE is this Go.Microsoft stuff

Last edited by thellier; 03 June 2015 at 16:23.
AdSense AdSense