English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 09 June 2015, 00:22   #41
jayminer

Okay, did an extremely quick and dirty test, and it started on my A600 and played just fine, yay!

Extremely quick and dirty in the sense that I just rem:ed out all the lines that contained anything with extension in it - not really caring to try and see what the other stuff on the same line did And ofcourse this means there is no sound like you mentioned earlier in the thread.

Anyway, here's my quick version with both the modified source and a compiled exe: http://www.driar.se/puzcatmod.lha
AdSense AdSense  
Old 09 June 2015, 00:25   #42
Mrs Beanbag
Glastonbridge Software

well it did work from editor anyway, only the compiled version failed. so it is my extension that is causing the crash? or did you remove banks as well?
Old 09 June 2015, 00:30   #43
jayminer

I saved all the banks to disk and then removed all of them and then modified the program to load them from disk instead of having them compiled into the program, then I saved the source making sure the banks was not loaded into memory.

The AMOS intpreter seems to be doing everything right when it comes to keeping the banks aligned, but when compiling it doesn't seem like the compiler is. perhaps the main program could in some way be padded with a byte to get the alignment right and it would work with the banks compiled in?
Old 09 June 2015, 00:35   #44
Mrs Beanbag
Glastonbridge Software

i did try removing a character from one of the strings in the data statements but that didn't help. not sure what else to try to achieve alignment, it's all a bit weird to be honest.

but given that the new aim of this project is to give people something to modify i don't have anything against saving the banks out separately.

btw how fast does it run?
Old 09 June 2015, 00:39   #45
jayminer

It ran full speed with no hiccups at all, I only completed the first level since I really should be getting to sleep and not spending my time sending games via serial cable to my a600 and then playing them at this time of night But I'm gonna do another playthrough of it on the real thing soon, think I might modify it to allow for the second button to jump instead of up though since I like to play my games with a gamepad
Old 09 June 2015, 11:16   #46
Mrs Beanbag
Glastonbridge Software

thanks for doing that, that's brilliant!

did you try it with my protracker extension as well? only i thought the sound effects functions might interest you, since there are currently no sound effects in your game and my fx engine allows sound effects to automatically mute music channels temporarily.

although for anybody interested, PuzCat doesn't use those functions, but rather it uses AMAL to do the sound effects. I wrote the fx engine after PuzCat using a similar idea, after it seemed to work so well.
Old 09 June 2015, 11:31   #47
jayminer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Beanbag View Post
thanks for doing that, that's brilliant!

did you try it with my protracker extension as well? only i thought the sound effects functions might interest you, since there are currently no sound effects in your game and my fx engine allows sound effects to automatically mute music channels temporarily.

although for anybody interested, PuzCat doesn't use those functions, but rather it uses AMAL to do the sound effects. I wrote the fx engine after PuzCat using a similar idea, after it seemed to work so well.
I have not tried with your extension, where can I find it?

About soundeffects in my game, I use AMCAF for mod-playback (since AMOS built-in player is a bit crap) and it also allows for sound-effects by muting channels temporarily, but if I recall correctly the sfx must be included as samples in the currently playing module. Not sure about this though, was many years ago since I last played around with it.

I actually had a jump-sound at one point but since you jump so much I just thought it became interesting, but I guess I should atleast add some "death"-sound.

I can't really recall if I use any other AMCAF stuff in my game, if not I might swap it out for your extension instead if it's smaller and has better sfx support!
Old 09 June 2015, 12:13   #48
Mrs Beanbag
Glastonbridge Software

it is linked above in this thread.

i did read up on AMCAF, you can play samples out of the mod but you should also be able to use the normal AMOS functions for playing sounds as well, if the channel is muted in the music.

edit: oh AMCAF has also "Pt Raw Play" which corresponds to "Sam Raw" from the AMOS music extension.
Old 09 June 2015, 14:11   #49
jayminer

Oh I totally missed that you posted that, will try it out with music tonight!
Old 09 June 2015, 20:15   #50
jayminer

Okay, spent some time with this just now and here is a version that should run on 68000-machines, and which supports the 2nd fire-button for jumping. I actually added (hacked, it's ugly ) in the option of changing between Up or 2nd Fire-button in the options. I also made the options menu accessible with the 'play'-button on a CD32-pad to make the game more CD32-compatible.

Since I'm lazy, I used AMCAF Xfire-command to read the extra buttons so to compile the game you now need AMCAF aswell as Mrs Beanbags PT extension, and the game also needs lowlevel.library for the "Play"-button on a CD32-pad to work.

Anyway, here's this version: http://www.driar.se/PuzCat_modified.lha
Old 09 June 2015, 21:20   #51
Mrs Beanbag
Glastonbridge Software

Good work!
Old 09 June 2015, 21:57   #52
Lonewolf10
AMOS Extensions Developer

Quote:
well it did work from editor anyway, only the compiled version failed. so it is my extension that is causing the crash? or did you remove banks as well?
I was going to play Puzcat today, but got distracted by sleeping in 'til midday (late night last night, or should I say this morning ), watching DVD's and my current Wings3D mini-project...

Anyway, if you still have your extension source (or extension file) I would like to look at it. I might be able to tell you what is at fault with your extension. I have studied others that had source released and I have written my own (unreleased as it was test version only) not to mention a tool that examines AMOS Pro extensions - on Aminet here, with top entry being my Extension Examiner

Edit: Just had a quick play (emulated A600 with 68040 CPU). Great fun, found the secret room on start menu (as mentioned here before), aswell as the secret room on level 2.

Last edited by Lonewolf10; 09 June 2015 at 22:24.
Old 09 June 2015, 22:49   #53
Mrs Beanbag
Glastonbridge Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolf10 View Post
Anyway, if you still have your extension source (or extension file) I would like to look at it. I might be able to tell you what is at fault with your extension.
it seems not to be the extension that causes it to crash. or, at least, it will work with the extension as long as the banks are loaded in at runtime instead of saved with the program. but i can give you the source code if you like.
Old 09 June 2015, 23:02   #54
Lonewolf10

Quote:
it seems not to be the extension that causes it to crash. or, at least, it will work with the extension as long as the banks are loaded in at runtime instead of saved with the program. but i can give you the source code if you like.
Yes, I'd still like to take a look at the source code (including extension) please.
Old 09 June 2015, 23:20   #55
Mrs Beanbag
Glastonbridge Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolf10 View Post
Yes, I'd still like to take a look at the source code (including extension) please.
ok here it is:
http://www.glastonbridge.co.uk/mrbea...ProTracker2x.s

it uses a couple of macros i added to |amos_includes.s as well:
http://www.glastonbridge.co.uk/mrbea...mos_includes.s

I'm glad you are enjoying the game, there are secrets on every level iirc (some in plain sight, but you have to work out how to reach them)
Old 11 June 2015, 19:37   #56
Lonewolf10

Thanks.

Nice use of the 'lib' macro
I can't see anything in the extension that would cause any obvious issues in the compiled version...

I was able to use the sources to compile the extension. I can only assume it works (sound card is broken on my laptop) as I left the AMOS code as is and was able to run the game from the Editor.
The compiled version crashes with the 8000 0003 error.

I tried a cheeky hack and removed all banks. Reloaded them all in and it still failed when compiled.
Another attempt was to edit the Sprites (after exporting) and I added 2 new 'sprites' (unused in the game), making 18 sprites in total. Compiled version still failed

I'll try jayminer's version tomorrow
Old 12 June 2015, 14:21   #57
Mrs Beanbag
Glastonbridge Software

thanks for taking a look.

i also tried exporting as ascii and re-importing it, to no avail. i'm convinced at this point it is a bug in the compiler.
Old 12 June 2015, 16:06   #58
jayminer

I'm also pretty sure it's an AMOS compiler bug, I have encountered this many times in the past and it's always worked to compile the program without any banks included in the binary, and then loading them from disk.

The compiler seems to not make sure the banks are at even memory-adresses.
Old 18 June 2015, 22:04   #59
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Mrs. Beanbag, please could you include .lha archive for direct download to my Amiga? I always have had problems with .zip. Thank you.
Old 18 June 2015, 22:49   #60
Mrs Beanbag
Glastonbridge Software

Predseda you could try jayminer's version, linked above
AdSense AdSense