English Amiga Board Amiga Lore

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 24 May 2015, 12:41   #1
jools_

Testing Orinoco card

I bought a Orinoco Silver PCMCIA card that I want to use with the amiga 1200 to transfer stuff to the PC. I only have 2 MB of chip memory so I figure I have to use amitcp/ip stack, but it's hard to get working.

So I decided to first test the card on some other system, I have an old laptop with a PCMCIA slot that I put Linux Mint on. If I stick in the card it's seen and it can find all the wireless networks, but it can't connect to them. Not of course the WPA2 ones, but not even a WEP network I created, and not even if I put the network to be open.

In Linux it's using a driver called orinoco_cs, with support for a lot of different cards. The output from dmesg is something like "Lucent/Agere firmware doesn't support manual roaming". More info here: https://wireless.wiki.kernel.org/en/...rivers/orinoco

I understand in amiga part, the prism driver is used, but the linux people say only the intersil PCI cards use the prism driver (http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/Jean_...x/Orinoco.html) , whereas I'm quite sure the orinoco silver is a Lucent/Agere card.

So in the end I did not get the card fully working in linux, but maybe I'm just doing useless work. Does someone else have this card working in amiga? You use the prism2v2 driver?
AdSense AdSense  
Old 24 May 2015, 13:05   #2
jPV

You could try with my Network Boot Disk: http://jpv.wmhost.com/NetworkBootDisk/

It doesn't have the latest drivers, but at least WEP or open networks should work.
Old 25 May 2015, 12:27   #3
jools_

Thanks. I will try. It's just a bit complicated to do the file transfer as I don't have any floppy drive on my PCs.
Old 02 June 2015, 19:10   #4
jools_

I still haven't managed to successfully have internet connectivity, but I did manage to associate with the wifi host. Does this mean the card works but the problem is in tcp/ip stack? Here is the shell output:

It also says this in amitcp log window:

[ err ] : S2_CONFIGINTERFACE: Inappropriate state (Attempt to config twice)

I'm using Better WB (the latest version I found), it has a pcmcia card init tool. The I use prism2v2 device and it comes with wirelessmanager I think. I use amitcp3b2 for tcp/ip stack.

i tried with that network bootdisk, but it just says there is no route to host (my gateway) when I ping it. I copied the contents of the adf to my harddisk and booted from it, it configured itself nicely, but I can't read more info from it than that ping doesn't work.

When using BWB and amitcp 3b2 I could get the amiga to show on my router with its correct ip (because I set it to have static ip in the config file) but I could not ping it, nor ping from it. I think it's almost working but not quite: could the card still be broken?

Btw, add _nomap to you wifi SSID to have google not index its location: http://www.ghacks.net/2014/10/29/add...e-and-mozilla/
Old 03 June 2015, 10:08   #5
modrobert
old bearded fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by jools_ View Post
It also says this in amitcp log window:

[ err ] : S2_CONFIGINTERFACE: Inappropriate state (Attempt to config twice)
I get that when using prism2v2 and AmiTCP 3.0b2 as well, silly window opens, works fine anyway.

Do you have a default gateway configured in AmiTCP?

This installation guide is pretty good:
http://www.wiwi.uni-frankfurt.de/~an...itcp/index.htm

I have the same PCMCIA hardware, and helped another EAB user here, perhaps it can help you:

http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=969813&postcount=6

When testing, keep in mind that the first time you run it prism2v2 it can take several minutes on a standard A1200 to generate the WiFi (password) key from clear text, this is only needed once, after that the key will be a hex string and load fast. However, if you keep rebooting the Amiga thinking it failed prism2v2 will never have time to complete the WiFi auth.

Last edited by modrobert; 03 June 2015 at 10:16.
Old 03 June 2015, 12:36   #6
jools_

But I'm not using the clear password: I'm using the hex key directly. Maybe that's why.

My router, I'm running dd-wrt, generates 5 hex-keys based on the password, I'm using the first one as a password: ie I have a file like this in wireless.prefs:

network={
ssid="Amola_nomap"
key_mgmt=NONE
wep_key0=2188708C30
wep_tx_keyidx=0
}

I'm a bit confused by what KEY_MGMT = NONE means. I had to put WEP security on in the router because otherwise the Amiga says something like "dropped connection to Amola_nomap: mismatch privacy level".

The network setup is a bit complicated because I normally use WPA2 and now added a second virtual network interface to my dd-wrt router to use WEP. So it's in a different subnet from my main wlan network, but it should work because I can connect to this WEP with my android phone and then ping my main PC. But it only works if I connect with the hex key: I can't connect even from my android using the clear text password as key.

On the amiga, the setup looks like this:

Should I try to run those likes in CLI line by kline so I get the output? But I still wonder if the card is compatible: isn't the prism2v2 driver just a port from linux wpa_supplicant: and that's the one I could not get working in Linux Mint.

Edit: maybe i need to also reinstall the prism2v2 driver after installing amitcp3b2. I will try that.
Old 03 June 2015, 13:00   #7
modrobert
old bearded fool

Yes, install the prism2v2 driver again.

Skip WEP, and use WPA TKIP/PSK only, avoid any router setting which allows both WPA and WPA2 for example, that failed for me (handshake fail, read my post linked previously for info how to get debug output from the prism2v2 driver).

Try this wireless.prefs (change as needed; ssid, psk pass).

Code:
network={
        ssid="myrouter"
        scan_ssid=1
        psk="foofoo"
}
Then the prism2v2 driver will replace "foofoo" (the WiFi password) with a hex string after the first (slow) run and save it to wireless.prefs.

AFAIK, the only way to utilize the Orinoco Silver (PC24E-H-FC) hardware encryption/decryption to offload the A1200 is to configure the router for WPA with TKIP/PSK, otherwise it will be done by CPU using the driver software (or just fail).

Last edited by modrobert; 03 June 2015 at 13:23. Reason: Addes wireless.prefs.
Old 03 June 2015, 14:53   #8
jools_

Thanks. I will try.

it's a PC24E-H-ET card and not H-FC. Orinoco Silver, Lucent technologies. It says encryption: WEP.
Old 05 June 2015, 13:52   #9
modrobert
old bearded fool

Where does it say WEP?

I bought my card from Sir_Lucas on amibay.com, I think those were flash upgraded with WPA/TKIP firmware (on some ancient PC), so perhaps older firmware is WEP.

BTW: The prism2v2 driver readme/manual includes a lot of useful information.

Last edited by modrobert; 06 June 2015 at 06:35.
Old 10 June 2015, 14:27   #10
jools_

It says WEP on the card itself.

But I wonder if the problem is the hardware on the card, I mean it says:
CTRL-EVENT-CONNECTED - Connection to ca:60:00:92:c0:1f completed (auth) [id=id_str=]

Doesn't that mean the card has done it's part already? And the problem is in tcp/ip stack?

Yes, the error is from amitcp that it says. gateway: network is unreachable.

So it means that the card manages to connect to the AP but it doesn't handle its handshake? But it doesn't work even with no encryption either, so why would WPA make it any batter?

I can try to flash a newer firmware to the card, linux says that:
Firmware determined as Lucent/Agere 8.72 and also
Firmware determined as Lucent/Agere 9.48

using the orinoco_cs driver.

Maybe the firmware needs to be downgraded?
AdSense AdSense