English Amiga Board Amiga Lore

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 15 May 2015, 16:56   #1
klesterjr
Zone Friend

Running WinUAE on a Tablet PC

I'm curious if anyone has used WinUAE on a Windows 8.1 tablet.

Is there a setting (or combination of settings) that would allow the touch screen interface to work as a mouse? The standard mouse drivers don't work correctly here.

Also -- is it necessary to install DirectX9 since Windows 8.1 comes with a newer version?

I'd like to be able to run WinUAE on my tablet without connecting an external keyboard & mouse if at all possible.

Thanks.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 15 May 2015, 17:10   #2
thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by klesterjr View Post
Is there a setting (or combination of settings) that would allow the touch screen interface to work as a mouse? The standard mouse drivers don't work correctly here.
I think the first thing to try is to enable "install virtual mouse driver" on the game ports page.

Quote:
Also -- is it necessary to install DirectX9 since Windows 8.1 comes with a newer version?
8.1 might be newer but is incomplete. Yes, it is necessary if you want to use Direct3D support in WinUAE.
Old 15 May 2015, 17:31   #3
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Tablet mouse (=absolete movement coordinates) can only work with "virtual mouse driver". It can't be compatible with programs that take over the system, it is impossible without game-specific patches.

Check also latest 3.1 betas if you have small tablet, "full screen gui" option can make it more usable and it is also possible to re-enter GUI without keyboard.

(But you still need keyboard, unless you only want to play "joystick/mouse-button"-only games or watch demos..)
Old 15 May 2015, 18:52   #4
Akira

Cool! I will check the beta. The "I am stuck in full screen so I have to force restart the tablet" was driving me a bit nuts, but nothing to really complain about, it's amazing how WinUAE runs in my little tablet. Love it!

I will try the virtual mouse driver, thanks for the tip!

Wish WinVICE would also allow tablet use.
Old 17 May 2015, 04:22   #5
Akira

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
is also possible to re-enter GUI without keyboard.
I haven't managed to make that work, how are you able to re enter the gui? I am stuck in full screen.

Also couldn't use the mouse in a game as expected, would be awesome to support "trackpad mode" or something (using the screen like a trackpad, uae on Canoo uses this method and works well) but buttons would still be cumbersome.
Old 23 May 2015, 13:54   #6
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

310b20 should have fixed it.

Absolute mouse devices can never work correctly. It may work well enough with some games but it works very badly if mapping is not 1:1 (or near 1:1), for example if mouse is restricted to part of screen only.
Old 10 June 2015, 03:32   #7
Akira

Toni, the new GUI invoking works great!
It's amazing how well WinUAE runs on my little Atom based tablet.
Perhaps you could at some point include the option for on-screen overlay controls? Both for joystick commands and a little "trackpad"-like display to operate the mouse.
Old 11 June 2015, 23:36   #8
ccapublic

Sure this would be great. Even just having the whole screen act as a trackpad would make me more than happy (I don't care if the Amiga mouse is not placed where I touch the screen. The relative movement of my finger on the screen moving thé aamiga mouse would be just fine). Add something like long press = right click and that's it. I think I remember Tony is not willing (yet ?) to spend much time on making winuae Tablet friendly, but those atom Tablets are becoming so affordable and common that hopefully This Will change in thé future
Old 12 June 2015, 16:01   #9
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Because in my opinion using emulators with touch screen is painfully stupid, I need good examples how to do it to have even tiny chance of it happening.

(example = images/screenshots/drawings, obviously I am not going to run any emulators!)
Old 12 June 2015, 20:28   #10
ccapublic

It obviously looks like some winuae users, hopefully not all stupid, would love to run It on their tablet *too*. And having to connect ā mouse or keyboard to ā tablet kinda makes it even more stupid.

That being said, we have nothing to demand.

Thanks for the compliment about this request, but more important, thanks for Winuae. It really is amazing.
Old 12 June 2015, 20:30   #11
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

I meant: because it is stupid for me, I have no idea how it should work and I am wrong person to try something because result would be even more stupid.

I want examples how it should work and be less stupid
Old 12 June 2015, 20:59   #12
Akira

I can make a mockup for you if you are interested, Toni, no problem!
I'll do it next week when I am a bit free

I think the trackpad idea as ccapublic explained is perfect, is the way I described above how it worked on the Caanoo (you can see a video of it in action on the Caanoo on this video I made: [ Show youtube player ] ).

Joystick overlay will not be as good as plugging a keyboard or wireless controller in, but it will suffice in the case you don't have one handy. Personally I find it also super hard to use but it's better than nothing.

But with proper mouse support, not only you can use lots of apps, but also play lots of fantastic games without the need of anything else (all I want is to play Neuronics on the road )

Last edited by Akira; 12 June 2015 at 21:05.
Old 12 June 2015, 22:23   #13
ccapublic

Plenty of screenshots by just googling "on-screen trackpad" or "on-screen joystick".

There are even apps that overlay a trackpad or joystick on existing apps or.games. note they only work in windowed or full-screen windowed mode. So they may work in some cases with winuae but for sure not in d3d mode, maybe not even in ddraw mode - not an expert here).

Will give them a try when (if) I find a moment

For example

Virtual joystick : http://palmtime.net/virtualgamepad/
Virtual trackpad : http://www.lovesummertrue.com/touchmousepointer/en-us/
Old 12 June 2015, 23:59   #14
Akira

I tried those type of apps that overlay stuff on the screen and they are incredibly crap.
Old 13 June 2015, 08:04   #15
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL Send a message via Skype™ to FOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
I tried those type of apps that overlay stuff on the screen and they are incredibly crap.
I dont know, splashtop works pretty well now when streaming winuae to my ipad on the go.
Old 13 June 2015, 12:31   #16
Bastich

I must give this a try
Old 27 October 2015, 14:42   #17
ccapublic

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone found a good solution since last post to enable use of touch screen as a mouse and\or joystick with winuae. External sw that would render a trackpad and joystick on top of full screen ?

Or maybe a way of convincing Toni to keep introducing such support step by step ? The very first step was really important (open the GUI from touch screen). Second great step would be to have the whole touch screen act as a trackpad. The relative movement of finger on the screen would make the mouse pointer move in the same direction (whatever the scale factor), single tap would simulate left click, double tap left double click, long tap right click... no overlay image at all as a first step. Another step would be for example to split the borders of touch screen into 8 zones for joystick emulation : neutral = don't touch screen, top left zone = joystick topleft, bottom right zone = joystick bottom right and so on.

Of course the ultimate implementation would be to have a little black rectangle with 30 percent opacity overlayed on bottom left of screen. Relative movements of fingers on it would move the mouse pointer in the same direction. Then 8 black arrows in the shape of a 8 branch star (imagine a + and a x on top of each other) with 30percent opacity on bottom right of the screen. Placing a finger on any of the 8 arrows (north, northwest, west...) would simulate the joystick in the corresponding direction.

I know Toni this is not of interest to you, but winuae runs so great on such tablets that I would be like a child if I could bring an Amiga everywhere with me with no need of a physical mouse or joystick... Wondering how we could have you consider this.

Thanks for reading me !
Old 28 October 2015, 11:54   #18
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Very detailed step by step suggestions will work.

But it must be something that is already proven to work. Not some "perhaps it works because it appears to work on <some totally different use case>".

Actual development on cheap windows tablets is practically impossible.
Old 28 October 2015, 16:39   #19
Akira

The way suggested for the mouse works perfectly. I have used it on touchscreen VNC servers on iPad and Android.
Basically your whole screen (or a portion of it you define) is a "trackpad", like your laptop's trackpad, so mouse pointer motion acts the same way as it does on one of those. You drag your finger and the mouse moves that amount. You tap on the screen for an LMB click, you tap with two fingers for RMB click.

You can see how it works in this video: [ Show youtube player ]
UAE4ALL on GP2X and Caanoo works this way although not as well, it's a poor implementation.

Adding some little semi transparent overlays for things wouldn't be bad too. The method to bring up the menu now sometimes is a bit finicky because I am not sure if I am enough on the edge of the screen or not. If we have a little button, like on the top right corner or something, we can see and press and hold to bring up the menu, it probably would be better.

Joystick on a tablet is always a pain in the ass and I am not sure if I would bother with it at all at first.
Old 28 October 2015, 19:31   #20
ccapublic

Thanks Toni for keeping the door open to an implementation. Thanks Akira too for your reply : we're totally aligned

Unfortunately Toni I don't know how to be more precise than already written (or more precise than Akira). I strongly believe that the trackpad idea is great because also a relative input device, and IMHO not difficult to implement.

So either we could imagine starting with full screen as trackpad and different tap schemes for clicks, DoubleClick.. (see my previous post)

Or we could imagine drawing a semi opaque trackpad onscreen. That would be my preferred approach :

- Lets say it would occupy 33% of screen width and height, and be positioned at bottom left part of screen, lets say 5% of screen width and and depth from screen border

- the trackpad itself would be composed of 3 areas :
. A big rectangle on top, 100% of trackpad area width, 75% of trackpad area height : the trackpad motion surface were any finger slide would convert to mouse slide in the same direction
. Two smaller rectangle at bottom (the left and right mouse button). Each would occupy 50% of trackpad area width and 25% of trackpad area height. Touching them will act as clicking the corresponding button
. A nice to have : a way of moving the trackpad area on screen (no need to resize it imho). For example long putting 2fingers on the trackpad area would then make it follow your fingers if you move them on the screen.

I see no way this would not work in most use cases as this is no more than the description of the real physical trackpad of any laptop...

Joystick could come in a second time if mouse feature is fine, appreciated....

This is the best I can say... If it happens, well, that would be great

Thanks again to you guys for having take time to read, consider and reply to my post !
AdSense AdSense