English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 18 May 2015, 15:31   #21
Jope
-

Send a message via Skype™ to Jope
Hah, lies. I have two USB drives that do DD. ;-)
AdSense AdSense  
Old 18 May 2015, 15:33   #22
Jope
-

Send a message via Skype™ to Jope
If you guys really want to buy used 3.5" and 5.25" DD floppy disks, I have loads. Send me a PM with how many you need and I'll think of a price.
Old 19 May 2015, 01:10   #23
BarryB
Amigaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jope View Post
Hah, lies. I have two USB drives that do DD. ;-)
Yep, I have a DELL USB Floppy that can format 720k DD disks, still no good for Amiga disks though
Old 21 May 2015, 08:19   #24
appiah4

What's so hot about DD anyway? The A500 drive for example can't even tell the difference between an HD and DD disk, even if the HD hole is not covered, and formats it to 880K quite fine - never had an issue..

Is there something I should be aware of?
Old 21 May 2015, 09:21   #25
Vot

Where do you buy your floppy disks from?

Quote:
Originally Posted by appiah4 View Post
What's so hot about DD anyway? The A500 drive for example can't even tell the difference between an HD and DD disk, even if the HD hole is not covered, and formats it to 880K quite fine - never had an issue..

Is there something I should be aware of?

I believe that the hd disks require a different magnetic flux strength to write the bits, writing them with a DD drive may not be very reliable.

http://www.retrotechnology.com/herbs_stuff/guzis.html

"The thinner coating and the smaller particle size [of 3.5" DSHD diskettes] make for better-defined domain "edges" and generally better [resolved] higher-density recording. Unfortunately, [these factors] also make for a lower recovered data [read] signal, and that, coupled with the lower write current [when writing at] 2D, is what makes for Trouble, particularly on older drives."
Old 21 May 2015, 09:46   #26
appiah4

Very interesting.. I never had an issue, but it's interesting nonetheless. Regardless, it's only reasonable that the magnetic disk itself should be different (it DOES have higher capacity..) but I never personally encountered a problem.

It's absolutely impossible to get a hold of HD floppies where I live, let alone DD floppies - I take what I can.
Old 21 May 2015, 11:56   #27
Vot

Quote:
Very interesting.. I never had an issue, but it's interesting nonetheless. Regardless, it's only reasonable that the magnetic disk itself should be different (it DOES have higher capacity..) but I never personally encountered a problem.

It's absolutely impossible to get a hold of HD floppies where I live, let alone DD floppies - I take what I can.

I used hd floppies for a while, anecdotally they seemed to suffer read errors earlier than their dd brethren. As long as you have a backup of the discs its not a problem.. But then again.. With the new firmware for the gotek.. Who needs floppies anymore
Old 21 May 2015, 12:00   #28
appiah4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vot View Post
I used hd floppies for a while, anecdotally they seemed to suffer read errors earlier than their dd brethren. As long as you have a backup of the discs its not a problem.. But then again.. With the new firmware for the gotek.. Who needs floppies anymore
Crazy people like me who still have their warranty stickers on
Old 21 May 2015, 12:01   #29
Vot

Quote:
Crazy people like me who still have their warranty stickers on

You mean you still have the case still on your amiga, and not crap hanging out of it everywhere like mine?

Weirdo
Old 22 May 2015, 11:39   #30
TenLeftFingers

Floppy disk

I've just ordered these from Ebay. I can get better value locally for more normal looking disks but these are my memories of the Amiga days. The Uridium 2 demo that came with Amiga Format was on something similar and both the transparent floppy and the game blew my mind at the time.
Old 22 May 2015, 16:53   #31
edd_jedi

Cool, I do kind of miss having a big disk box full of colourful disks
Old 27 May 2015, 11:42   #32
Knoeki
Princess Knoeki

Send a message via Skype™ to Knoeki
I got this along with the A4000 I picked up, so... I don't think I'll ever need to buy 3.5" disks again:

Old 27 May 2015, 19:08   #33
TenLeftFingers

Wow, that's incredible! Well, just take care that they don't ruin your floppy drive - especcially if you're putting in a new one. Maybe the ones that came with my 1200 were just exceptionnaly bad but I nearly lost my floppy drive so now only brand new disks go in and if I need a particular piece of software I'll write the adf to floppy.
Old 27 May 2015, 21:53   #34
Knoeki
Princess Knoeki

Send a message via Skype™ to Knoeki
Well, I'm pretty sure that the floppy drives in both my A600 and A4000 are a bit dodgy, so I will probably have to replace them, provided that I can find some (either internal or external) that aren't too expensive ^^;
Old 27 May 2015, 21:57   #35
TenLeftFingers

I'd recommend you do that. I'm not an expert, but since they bad disks were dirtying my floppy drive I assume it was harming my new disks also.
Old 27 May 2015, 22:07   #36
appiah4

Well, I just received a batch of 80 floppies in the mail today. Used, in various conditions but mostly pretty good. Too bad most of them are HD but they will do. Now I just need a cheap USB floppy drive to test them all on before using on my A500
AdSense AdSense