English Amiga Board Amiga Lore

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 30 August 2015, 20:29   #381

Originally Posted by Megol View Post
(don't we all have a third hand? ;P)
If you really know your sci-fi, the third hand is known as the "Gripping hand"

AdSense AdSense  
Old 30 August 2015, 23:17   #382

It seems fishy is phsically not well but im not going to have a guilt trip- Ive said he can connact me and its not personal, I still feel the same and wont discuss it any further.
Fish all the best.
Old 21 September 2015, 18:08   #383
Originally Posted by beezle View Post
Not sure who mentioned it, but a newline in a string in blitz, if I recall correctly is much the same as in c (ie. "/n")
Nope. Print writes the string without advancing to the next line, while NPrint adds a line break.
Old 21 September 2015, 18:25   #384
Originally Posted by ReadOnlyCat View Post
Ah! I had forgotten Skid Marks was written using Blitz, thanks for pointing it out. It's an example of a fantastic game made with the language indeed but even a few example do not make a trend.
I persist in thinking that you have to be a good programmer in the first place to make anything good in Blitz, because as a novice you will not have enough background to understand where and why it is innefficient nor work around it without compromising your program's structure.
You're closing in on the problem here. The lower you put the cost of entry. the more shit you will have to sort through. A language or environment that caters to unexperienced programmers will inevitably lose reputation because so many amateurish works owe their existence to it. Experienced programmer will not want to use the beginner-friendly language, and in every group of 100 beginners, there may be only one who has what it takes to become a good programmer.
Blitz had Paul Burkey, who made Foundation in Blitz. He went on to program in C afterward, for several reasons. Others went on to nothing. But if the barriers of entry are low enough, you will see floods of shit. Megalomaniacs who dream of conquering the world and boast about their upcoming mega game will seldom choose to do so using assembly language, because their ego can't take it.

And in the end, it takes a good programmer to make a good program in any language. If you want to make a good game, you must also be a good game designer. But I still entertain the thought that there are some programmers who aren't very good but still good enough not to embarass themselves or give up if encouraged by a more helpful language than the ones used by the programmer Úlite.

Originally Posted by ReadOnlyCat
my point is that newcomers should avoid Blitz if they want to acquire good coding habits and grow as coders. As you said it, the language as a proven track record of allowing great programs to be conceived but that does not mean it is suited to the EAB roaming bunnies who want to learn what code is all about and try to make their own games.

I think Blitz has all you need to acquire good coding habits. It's structured, it has useful datatypes, it's extensible and it also has the limits that force you to choose between pure academic elegance and raw power. In this way, it's very unlike AMOS.
AdSense AdSense