English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 18 December 2002, 23:51   #1
dreamkatcha
My elbow tastes of icky

BeUAE

I hate Windows almost as much as Pyromania so I'm always interested in trying new operating systems. I came across BeOS Max Edition the other day which is basically the Personal Edition (5.0) but with new integrated hardware support and a few extra freeware and shareware progs built-in.

I'm planning to give it a go and I was just wondering if anyone had any experience with the BeOS version of UAE. It seems to me to be a long way behind the Windows version... not surprisingly seeing as though Be has now sold up and discontinued BeOS. Even so quite a number of people are working on resurrecting it so BeUAE may not be completely abandoned.

What's your opinion of BeOS in general? To me it seems a lot closer to the beloved Amiga OS than anything else around at the moment.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 19 December 2002, 00:34   #2
Jambo
Yarr!

Location: n. A place where something is or could be located; a site.
For god's sake no, don't use BeOS!

Download a copy of linux and experience UAE the proper way!
Old 19 December 2002, 01:39   #3
oldpx

BeUAE is very poor compared to winuae (

Old 19 December 2002, 05:42   #4
th4t1guy

However, QNX is better than both linux and BeOS, AND you can use AmigaOS XL
Old 19 December 2002, 13:12   #5
mtb

After having toggled windows from my pc, i've reinstalled it mainly to use winuae, that is a bit more advanced than uae - now i have both os, but to emulate an Amiga i use windows.

With uae and ext3 ( i think this is the cuase ) also there are loads of slow down every time the hd works, making some games not well playable. But it is not a uae problem.
Old 19 December 2002, 13:57   #6
manicx

QNX with AmigaOS XL is the best option you can get. BeOS sucks at least not as much as Linux.
Old 19 December 2002, 16:22   #7
KombatSanta
Pipboy approved

Send a message via ICQ to KombatSanta
Hey now! Nothing beats Linux People that don't like LINUX have usually only tried a couple of distb like Red Hat or Mandrake.

I've never had any problems with LINUX regarding stability or security...

So why do you guys think LINUX sucks? Please be more specific!
Old 19 December 2002, 17:22   #8
manicx

It may be of-topic but here's the answer.

Security and Stability is always an issue, and Linux is better than most OSs in these fields. However, it is not user friendly. I have been using Unix and Linux for many years and I can say that very few people can actualy make this the default OS in their home computer. Very little software to entertain yourself, difficult in use, poor multilanguage support etc etc. Linux is good for particular uses. Having a server running on Linux is the best thing to do, but hosting Linux in my home PC is something I will never do...
Old 19 December 2002, 22:55   #9
dreamkatcha
My elbow tastes of icky

Thanks for the replies. So what's wrong with BeOS then? (hardware compatability problems aside since this newly updated version supposedly fixes this).

I should probably have posted some links for you to have a look at.

You can find BeOS Max here: http://crux.sourceforge.net

...and OpenBeOS is here: http://www.openbeos.org/
Old 19 December 2002, 23:29   #10
Akira

Quote:
Originally posted by KombatSanta
So why do you guys think LINUX sucks? Please be more specific!
The whole system structure is a bloody mess. Then again the same can be said for most unixish flavours.

I hate the GNU.

And I can't run any of the apps I work with.

Therefore my best choice for a current OS is: Mac OS X. All the shiznit that makes the X systems stable (BSD base), with all the apps and support I need at work. it has quite a bit of bloat though and I don't like that. But you can get rid of it. The bloody huge size of the icons is bound to eat unnecessary processor power too, I wonder if I can size them down.

I still would preffer Amiga OS, if it ran all the apps I use! it's my fave OS ever.
Old 20 December 2002, 11:40   #11
mtb

I think Linux a good os, and i'm using Debian 3.0 ( not Mandrake, not Red Hat ).

I agree with Akira for the Amiga OS
Old 20 December 2002, 15:44   #12
Akira

We're straying waay off-topic anyway
Old 20 December 2002, 17:42   #13
KombatSanta
Pipboy approved

Quote:
Originally posted by Akira
We're straying waay off-topic anyway
Well I think that's my fault actually... just curious why you don't find LINUX to be THE OS to use.

I can agree that it can be very "messy" for starters, but when you get the hang of it it's really easy to do what you want to, it's just a matter of getting used to a new enviroment as in any new OS you try.

As for the part that there isn't enough good user friendly applications... well I can agree that there isn't so many games for it, but there is alot of good apps for it.

Anyway, the bottom line is: Use the OS that serves your needs best. I use both Win Xp and Linux for my PC and that way I cover alot of ground. (And yes Akira you're right. Amiga OS is far the best I've ever seen)
Old 20 December 2002, 19:17   #14
Akira

Quote:
Originally posted by KombatSanta
I can agree that it can be very "messy" for starters, but when you get the hang of it it's really easy to do what you want to,
Indeed. I had no problems at all getting used to it. Why? Thanks to my experience with the Amiga OS... The commandline is very, very very similar, so I had no probs!
Quote:
As for the part that there isn't enough good user friendly applications... well I can agree that there isn't so many games for it, but there is alot of good apps for it.
I didn't say there are not enough userfriendly apps for it, I said it doesn't have ANY of the apps I use for work. I don't game with my computer (that's what consoles are for), so I don't care about that. Only tool I quite enjoyed in Linux is Gimp, but it still is not up to scratch with commercial efforts like Photoshop. but, hey, it's fucking free! Staroffice was cool too, I only had that office suite installed in my computer. I now installed OpenOffice in win98, and it works a treat. No need for M$ shite.
Still, all of my apps are commercial and not available for Linux. Therefore it's useless to me.
Quote:
Anyway, the bottom line is: Use the OS that serves your needs best.
Yup, agreed completely
Old 20 December 2002, 21:21   #15
dreamkatcha
My elbow tastes of icky

I've tried to escape the evil clutches of old Bill by jumping ship on a few occasions, but I always end up right back at square one. I spent weeks downloading Mandrake 8.2 with my 56k modem only to discover that it wouldn't work with my computer. I decided to throw in the towel, but then when Mandrake 9 was released I thought I'd give it another shot - I downloaded it from work this time so it took about 30 mins to get 3 CDs, but it still wouldn't talk to my computer. It would install so far and then freeze or it would install correctly but then 2 minutes after using it my cursor would freeze and not knowing what the keyboard shortcuts are I was lost. I concluded that if the Linux developers can't get something as simple as a mouse to work there's little hope for more complicated hardware.

I think Linux will be a great competitor to Microsoft in the future, but at the moment it's too flakey to be of much use to the average Windows refugee.
Old 21 December 2002, 19:42   #16
Akira

My fave Linux distro is SuSE. Good balance.

Still, let me and my Mac OS X alone. We want to make out
Old 22 December 2002, 14:58   #17
KombatSanta
Pipboy approved

@echostryker: well, if you only used mandrake I can understand that you're disapointed, take Akiras and Puzzles advice and install some other dist (not red hat 8.0 though ).

@Akira: Ah. yes I see your point! And I agree... apart from the Mac OS thingy, but that's alright... that doesn't make you a bad person... a bit odd and "wanky" perhaps, but not bad
Old 22 December 2002, 15:45   #18
Unknown_K

Send a message via ICQ to Unknown_K
OSX sucks because of the heavy use of eye candy on an slow g4 chip(s) on a half assed motherboard design. All those benchmarks they quote are crap.. the fastest dual G4 is alot slower then the top of the line p4/athlon doing just about anything. To be honest I like classic macos 7.6x to 9.1 in some respects (like not having a registry and being able to move directories to different drives and still being able to run the app and not having to reinstall the os 2 times a year) Though memory management sucked, stability could be better, and multitasking wasnt too hot.

Linux sucks because there are too many distro's that try very hard to be WINDOWS with all its bloatware. I ran an older version of mandrake that did auto updates from the web. I did a clean install, ran update, rebooted, and then had a non functional computer (nice self destruct feature!). There are very few everydy apps for linux, and just about no games. So unless you run a very busy server why bother? I dont want to have to modify an app to get it to work with my version of linux. The directory structure is a mess. Most of the programs look like some kid almost out of college slapped it together for a school project and left it 80% finished. Redhat and mandrake own the linux distribution mass market and both are buggy as hell.

BEOS never got going as far as I am concerned.

QNX never looked like it was anything other then an embedded OS (which is what people use it for).

One of these days M$ will make a completely new version of an OS that isnt compatible with windows at all (might even be a distant relative of unix) but will have a native version of office, media player, directx support, explorer and will sell like hotcakes.
Old 22 December 2002, 19:20   #19
CPC464

Send a message via ICQ to CPC464 Send a message via AIM to CPC464
Well given the choice I would choose Linux.
AdSense AdSense