English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 05 May 2015, 02:41   #21
ransom1122

I think Lionheart is winning and with its dramatic musical score on level 1 I think it's a great game.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 05 May 2015, 08:21   #22
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Mr.Nutz, Brian The Lion, Lionheart and Stardust.

I still think Mr.Nutz is the most impressive of all of those, since it does have a lot of parallax, lots of colors, full speed AND a lot of stuff moving on screen at the same time. Lionheart does some amazing stuff too, but there are never more than 1 or 2 enemies on screen at time because of this.
Brian The Lion does have some amazing effects emulating the SNES Mode 7 which are quite impressive. Shame the game is kinda so-so.

Stardust is a lot of smart coding and pre-rendered stuff, I don't say its pushing the Amiga at all, but it's really breathtaking to see it in action.

I also want to note Kid Chaos for its insane parallax.
Old 05 May 2015, 08:49   #23
B14ck W01f
m68k all the way

Mean Arenas, Apidya, Turrican II, Yo! Joe! (in that order)

Who is going to disagree with me?
Old 05 May 2015, 11:13   #24
vulture

@Galahad

since you're a coder and an expert on these stuff, why do you rate Brian higher than, say, elfmania or kid chaos? What is the trick that catches your eye and puts it at the top? Thx!

Also, I agree with Unreal for the excellent sprite scaling, space harrier is not far behind in that respect though. And, of course, Lotus 3 for its driving engine and the already mentioned Universe for the amount of colours without ham. Ambermoon and Jurassic Park for their 3d engines as well. Beast master is an impressive game gfx-wise too. Not to forget Mega-Typhoon, for the speed and amount of objects on screen. Of course, the colours are not many, but on some instances they're hovering between 20-30, which is not bad at all.

Last edited by vulture; 05 May 2015 at 11:46.
Old 05 May 2015, 12:42   #25
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by vulture View Post
@Galahad

since you're a coder and an expert on these stuff, why do you rate Brian higher than, say, elfmania or kid chaos? What is the trick that catches your eye and puts it at the top? Thx!

Also, I agree with Unreal for the excellent sprite scaling, space harrier is not far behind in that respect though. And, of course, Lotus 3 for its driving engine and the already mentioned Universe for the amount of colours without ham. Ambermoon and Jurassic Park for their 3d engines as well. Beast master is an impressive game gfx-wise too. Not to forget Mega-Typhoon, for the speed and amount of objects on screen. Of course, the colours are not many, but on some instances they're hovering between 20-30, which is not bad at all.
Snes mode 7 effects on an A500 that are technically and factually better than what the Snes can do.

Later effects with the rotating tunnel effects for entire levels.

Realtime scaling and rotating nearly full screen.

Mosaic effects.

Dont get me wrong, the likes of Jim Power and Lionheart are great technically, Brian the Lion just does it better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian Browne View Post
Brian the lion? It does not look so great. Ive heard there is some copper trick thingie going on but does that make it visually appealing. there's an awful lot of shades of brown...
As i said in the other post above this one, it does quite a bit more than 'some copper trick thingie'

Problem is some of the cooler stuff is later in the game.

Last edited by TCD; 05 May 2015 at 14:06. Reason: Back-to-back posts merged.
Old 05 May 2015, 12:59   #26
twiggy

Ruff N Tumble, Agony, Lionheart and Hunter are the first that come to mind.
Old 05 May 2015, 13:06   #27
vulture

Thx for the answer Galahad, I'll have to check them out.

Also, I recall ppl saying that ruff n tumble is 25 fps because miggy couldn't get it done otherwise with so much stuff going on, but I've played second samurai lately, which I believe it to be a steady 50 fps (by the looks of it), and at times almost as much is going on, only with parallax, copper skies and background animation - I'll have to check if it's ntsc compatible, benefiting from the extra speed.

And let's not forget Blastar's horizontal sections, the unreleased Rage v1 and Rage v2 and of course, Starush - many colours, many parallax levels, many objects on screen, music + fx, a real technical gem! Goes even faster on NTSC too!

Last edited by vulture; 07 May 2015 at 09:05.
Old 05 May 2015, 16:03   #28
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Ok, I just checked out Blastar, I didn't remember those horizontal levels, the parallax there is insane too.

Was this kinda of parallax hard to do on Amiga? I know it's just slicing the screen and making each slice scroll at a different speed. One layer is never on top of the other, and this should be a lot easier to do. Yet it's an effect I rarely saw on amiga games (That's how Kid Chaos does it too);

EDIT: Shame the collision detection on this seems to be way off. Enemy bullets seem to hit you from a box around your ship, that's really very bad design.
Old 05 May 2015, 16:22   #29
john1979

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shatterhand View Post
Was this kinda of parallax hard to do on Amiga? I know it's just slicing the screen and making each slice scroll at a different speed. One layer is never on top of the other, and this should be a lot easier to do. Yet it's an effect I rarely saw on amiga games (That's how Kid Chaos does it too);
Not particularly hard but it was hard to do really nice full screen parallax, and it limited colours available so more copper tricks were often used to make up.

It's not so impressive on the SNES or Megadrive because their graphics chips were built with making this as easy as possible. And they have about 5 years of technology advances on top of the humble Amiga.
Old 05 May 2015, 19:59   #30
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

I have seen it in a lot of NES games too ,but they don't it full screen. Yet it's a nice effect to have.

NES have only one layer of background, but some games do "proper" parallax using sprite multiplexing as a second layer. Then there were games doing "sliced" parallax with sprite parallax as another layer for some real good effect
Old 05 May 2015, 20:05   #31
NorthWay

How about "Galactic"(? The one by Stavros Fasoulas)
Old 05 May 2015, 20:28   #32
nobody

Lionheart without a doubt is pushing A500 to the limits and showing the maximum potential of the hardware. Hundreds of colors, incredible artwork quality and that dramatic music.
Old 05 May 2015, 22:51   #33
Gzegzolka

To pick just one game and left rest unmentioned that would be great crime I can not give name of just one game, there's lot of cool amiga games:
Jaguar, Black Viper, Lotus 3 - fast and smooth race games
Disposable Hero, Agony -shumps
Ruff'n'Tumble, Yo Joe, Lionheart, Brian the Lion, Kid Chaos, Mr Nutz, Turrican 3 -great platform games
and some experimental games like Citadel, sure amiga hardware wasn't made for 3d games but this one play well (as long as screen is small).
Old 06 May 2015, 17:27   #34
Michael
A1260T/PPC/BV/SCSI/NET

A few more...
ProjectX & SWIV (many objects)
Hugo (full screen animation)
DesertStrike (half bright mode for shadows)
PopulousII & Settlers (advanced strategy in minimum resources)
Old 06 May 2015, 18:52   #35
hansel75
Walk Off? Boolander!

I know it's not the most technically advanced A500 game out there since more recent A500 games surpassed it, but surely Shadow of the Beast must get a mention in this thread.

As when it came out nothing else compared to it, especially the multi layer parallax scrolling routines and the use of extra colours at the time.

And as much as Beast 1 gets criticized for it's gameplay, i actually thought it was a decent game as well!

Last edited by hansel75; 06 May 2015 at 19:01.
Old 07 May 2015, 01:13   #36
DisposableHero

Lotud 3 fast and smooth? Not on real hardware it isn't. Lotus 2 is, with equally impressive graphics on most levels. Most of my choices have already been mentioned, but Datastorm is an early one which is impressive for the amount of stuff on the screen. F1GP was pretty impressive technically too.
Old 07 May 2015, 02:19   #37
Galder
Amiga is my Goddess

Hugo ;D
Old 07 May 2015, 09:26   #38
vulture

@DisposableHero

I haven't tried lotus 3 on an A500 but I've completed it on my A1200 and saw no slow downs. I've also Zeusdaz's longplay on an actual A500 and I can't notice any problems:
[ Show youtube player ]

Are you sure L3 had such problems?

Last edited by vulture; 07 May 2015 at 09:57.
Old 07 May 2015, 10:26   #39
Coagulus
Gets there in the end...

I remember at the time being disappointed with the frame rate of lotus III at the time compared to the second one also. Maybe we noticed more then...
Old 07 May 2015, 10:27   #40
s2325
Zone Friend

I think Top Gear 2 had low frame rate compared to Lotus games.
AdSense AdSense