English Amiga Board Amiga Lore

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

View Poll Results: What is the Best Amiga Beat-Em-Up?
Body Blows/Galactic/Ultimate 7 4.52%
Budokan: The Martial Spirit 0 0%
Capital Punishment 8 5.16%
Chambers of Shaolin 4 2.58%
Elfmania 5 3.23%
Fightin' Spirit 17 10.97%
International Karate + 47 30.32%
Master Axe 0 0%
Mortal Kombat 5 3.23%
Mortal Kombat II 18 11.61%
Primal Rage 0 0%
Rise of the Robots 5 3.23%
Shadow Fighter 20 12.90%
Street Fighter 2 6 3.87%
Super Street Fighter II 0 0%
Super Street Fighter II Turbo 1 0.65%
Panza's Kick Boxing 12 7.74%
Brutal Paws of Fury 0 0%
Voters: 155. You may not vote on this poll

Old 19 March 2009, 13:24   #101
StarEye
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensibleFan View Post
Monkey Island is one of the best non-pure hack n slash game in my opinion
Since when did you even do one hack or slash in Monkey Island? I know you're joking, but you don't think this is a bit extreme?
AdSense AdSense  
Old 19 March 2009, 13:33   #102
Sensi
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarEye View Post
Since when did you even do one hack or slash in Monkey Island? I know you're joking, but you don't think this is a bit extreme?
It is. But its just question of point of view.: You take hack n slash category equally high up in the genre hierarchy with beat em up. If some game allows you to destroy your opponent with bare hands or with swords, axes etc. and most of the time you use swords, its hack n slash for you. For someone else its beat em up with added cutting weapons. What now?
Old 19 March 2009, 13:52   #103
Shoonay
Global Caturator

Quote:
[...] its hack n slash for you. For someone else its beat em up with added cutting weapons. What now?
We give him a taste of his own medicine, and hack n slash him into thinking it's not. That simple.
Old 19 March 2009, 13:54   #104
PWLM
He found it at the zoo..

Send a message via Skype™ to PWLM
Too serious, does it bear this much scrutiny? Just vote for the game you like from the list and be done with it. These games I would view as fighters, but it's just opinion regardless of what I or anyone else thinks. Good to see some serious comments from you, Sensi
Old 19 March 2009, 14:12   #105
StarEye
Zone Friend

Quote:
It is. But its just question of point of view.: You take hack n slash category equally high up in the genre hierarchy with beat em up. If some game allows you to destroy your opponent with bare hands or with swords, axes etc. and most of the time you use swords, its hack n slash for you. For someone else its beat em up with added cutting weapons. What now?
Uhm, your way of viewing a genre hierarchy is way off. Your way of thinking completely eradicates the use of Hack'n'slash ever. What's the point of having a genre when you don't use it? Why do we even have something calle hack'n'slash, if every hack'n'slash is a beat'em up. Why not just call them beat'em up? For a genre to exist with any purpose, it must differ enough from other genres that it deserves to be seperated from the others. Else, we might just stick to one genre and that's it.
Old 19 March 2009, 14:19   #106
TCD
Global Moderator

Quote:
Uhm, your way of viewing a genre hierarchy is way off.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
In this instance, hack and slash refers a to sub-genre of beat 'em up where player characters use edged weapons as the primary form of combat (weapons in regular beat 'em ups are usually blunt weapons that are found during gameplay). Generally these games have a fantasy or medieval setting.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...Hack_and_slash

Okay, I think there's no 'ultimate truth', but this thread is really about fighting games and just the name indicates something different. Maybe we just follow PWLMs advice now...
Old 19 March 2009, 14:22   #107
Sensi
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWLM View Post
Good to see some serious comments from you, Sensi
Im always serious.

Quote:
Uhm, your way of viewing a genre hierarchy is way off. Your way of thinking completely eradicates the use of Hack'n'slash ever. What's the point of having a genre when you don't use it? Why do we even have something calle hack'n'slash, if every hack'n'slash is a beat'em up. Why not just call them beat'em up? For a genre to exist with any purpose, it must differ enough from other genres that it deserves to be seperated from the others. Else, we might just stick to one genre and that's it.
Yes, beat em up.
Old 19 March 2009, 15:30   #108
StarEye
Zone Friend

Hack'n'slash is Hack'n'slash, Beat'em up is Beat'em up. How hard is that? They're related, but they're still two seperate genres. I would call hack'n'slash in a genre of its own. It's no more a subgenre than beat'em up is. What I find strange is how you can call fighting games and beat'em ups two different genres, but hack'n'slash is not? There are even less differences between a fighting game and a beat'em up most of the time, than between a hack'n'slash and a beat'em up.

So, I don't agree with Wikipedias ranging of the genres, if hack'n'slash is a subgenre for beat'em ups, so is fighting games. In my opinion, they're all subgenres of close combat games - unfortunately.
Old 19 March 2009, 15:58   #109
PowerPie5000
Miggy Ate My Hamster!

For the amiga its gotta be Shadow Fighter and IK+

All the Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat games were horrible on the amiga so i got the console versions of those instead
Old 19 March 2009, 16:03   #110
s2325
Zone Friend

They weren't horrible if you didn't know other versions. Fist Fighter & Dangerous Streets were.
Old 19 March 2009, 16:44   #111
Sensi
Unregistered User

Quote:
Hack'n'slash is Hack'n'slash, Beat'em up is Beat'em up. How hard is that? They're related, but they're still two seperate genres. I would call hack'n'slash in a genre of its own. It's no more a subgenre than beat'em up is. What I find strange is how you can call fighting games and beat'em ups two different genres, but hack'n'slash is not? There are even less differences between a fighting game and a beat'em up most of the time, than between a hack'n'slash and a beat'em up.

So, I don't agree with Wikipedias ranging of the genres, if hack'n'slash is a subgenre for beat'em ups, so is fighting games. In my opinion, they're all subgenres of close combat games - unfortunately.
I use "beat 'em up" term for all fighting games but beat 'em up term has been used for years (and its used on HOL too). So all these games are beat 'em up (=fighting). Scrolling, non-scrolling, hack'n'slash, one on one etc. are subgenres. You are right, they are "fighting games." But for some reason they are called beat 'em up.
The discussion was more about if using sticks, swords etc. in fighting (tsc beat 'em up)games make these games so different to other fighting (tsc beat 'em up) games that they deserve their own category.
TCD, Humbie, me, AntEater said no. Not no to your opinion that Moonstone is fighting (tsc beat 'em up) game that belongs to one of many subgenres of fighting (tsc beat 'em up) games.
Old 19 March 2009, 18:30   #112
StarEye
Zone Friend

Tbh, HOL already uses so many different sub-genres for adventure games, so they should have space for the hack'n'slash genre as well. If I want to play a beat'em up, I certainly don't pick up Moonstone.

Anyway, meanwhile we'll just agree to disagree.
Old 20 March 2009, 03:28   #113
Adropac2
Zone Friend

I will never understand this

IK+ is a hoot until you realise you absolutely cannot block - putting your arm up in defence only to get smashed in the face is in no way an effective block

Can someone here please tell me how exactly it is possible to perform this defensive move with success or does in fact any actually know?

What point is there to having block in this game if all it does is get you knocked out

Exploding fist had awesome blocking
Old 20 March 2009, 05:11   #114
Calgor
(Amigas && Amigos)++

So why is Full Contact not in the list? None of the arguments presented exclude it (or do games have to be 2 player simulatneous?). Still, it's not as bad as missing the game "Flight Simulator II" in the poll of "Your Fave flight sim..." where calls to add it were also ignored.
I think some amiga "n00bs" forget the old games sometimes.

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=723
Old 20 March 2009, 07:37   #115
Sensi
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgor View Post
So why is Full Contact not in the list? None of the arguments presented exclude it (or do games have to be 2 player simulatneous?). Still, it's not as bad as missing the game "Flight Simulator II" in the poll of "Your Fave flight sim..." where calls to add it were also ignored.
I think some amiga "n00bs" forget the old games sometimes.

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=723
Aah, Freds first poll

Because the polls were limited up to 15 options in the past?
Old 20 March 2009, 13:46   #116
PWLM
He found it at the zoo..

Send a message via Skype™ to PWLM
Why not put these games ina genre called 'sparring games' or something similar, which would separate them from beat-'em-ups altogether. Mainly the differences are (a) 1-on-1 combat, no multiple targets at once, and (b) larger choice of moves/blocks. Any thoughts?
Old 20 March 2009, 14:49   #117
john4p

Well, that genre already exists - it's called fighting game...

Quote:
Originally Posted by john4p View Post
Old 20 March 2009, 14:56   #118
TCD
Global Moderator

Maybe some mod could split the posts concerning beat 'em ups/hack and slash/fighting genres/categories and make a new thread in the HOL subforum. I really would like to know what Cody thinks about it
Old 20 March 2009, 14:58   #119
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

Maybe people could whinge a bit more about game genre classifications?

CHEER UP YOU MISERABLE LOT IT'S FRIDAY TIME!
Old 20 March 2009, 15:04   #120
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by killergorilla View Post
Maybe people could whinge a bit more about game genre classifications?

CHEER UP YOU MISERABLE LOT IT'S FRIDAY TIME!
That's true. Time to do more work on KGLoad. HURRY!!
AdSense AdSense