English Amiga Board Amiga Lore

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 21 April 2015, 20:28   #1
demether

good NEW joypad for amiga games ?

Hi,

I'm currently searching for a new joypad (with 2 button support) for my amiga.

I don't want to buy an old used one : these days are crazy with retrogaming, anyone finding a crappy, dirty controller want to sell it for gold price because retrogaming is now fashionable

So I guess best choice would be these chinese megadrive joypad clones, since they seems to be the only one DB9 compatible controllers available today ?

Any help to choose a decent pad controller will be greatly appreciated

PS : I heard about modifying USB controllers to work on amiga. I'm not against this idea, if you can help with some tutorials or pinout schematics.

thank you a lot !
AdSense AdSense  
Old 21 April 2015, 20:46   #2
strim
NetBSD developer

You can actually use most USB gamepads with Amiga, through Ryś USB interface. I've bought one. It's pretty much awesome.

http://retro.7-bit.pl/?lang=en&go=pr...&name=rys_mkii
Old 21 April 2015, 22:06   #3
demether

Thanks!

sounds cool, but it depands the price and the availability too !
Old 22 April 2015, 01:28   #4
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

You don't like the chinese Mega-Drive pads? I have a couple of them that are pretty good.

You can use one to build your own arcade stick if you prefer
Old 22 April 2015, 09:44   #5
demether

I'm not against the idea of buying chinese megadrive pads, especially since today they are almost the only ones you can find new in stores. But there is a lot of diferent brands, models, etc...and I don't know what model I should buy !

that's why I posted here, to obtain feedback/reviews on decent joypads to use on my amiga, no matter the brand. The only important thing is that I would like to buy a new one, not an used one.

thank you !
Old 22 April 2015, 09:57   #6
robinsonb5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shatterhand View Post
You don't like the chinese Mega-Drive pads? I have a couple of them that are pretty good.
I have a couple too - they don't compare with the original six-button pad they're designed to look like, but they're not terrible, and still streaks ahead of the official CD32 pad.
Old 22 April 2015, 10:55   #7
jPV

Vesalia has some joypad which is designed for CD32:
http://www.vesalia.de/e_boomerangb432p.htm

No idea if it's good or not... I bought some other brand (mm.. Tecno Plus, I think) from them few years ago and I guess that's been OK to play (I don't play with pads, but some of my friends do).
Old 22 April 2015, 16:55   #8
demether

thank you

I finally found a joypad :

It's slightly bigger than a snes pad, the diagonals are easy to find, and even complex games like turrican3 (wich is one of the games pushing the 2 buttons limit to maximum, in my opinion) become a joy to play.

The only issue is the buttons wich I would have prefered a bit more firm. Maybe I'll try to find some rubber switch for replacement.

Another idea would be wiring the UP direction to one of the triggers, or even the A button to simulate a jump button too !

But overall it's a great joypad from Quickjoy, build quality is good too.
Old 22 April 2015, 18:05   #9
Lemming880

Quote:
Originally Posted by jPV View Post
Vesalia has some joypad which is designed for CD32:
http://www.vesalia.de/e_boomerangb432p.htm

No idea if it's good or not... I bought some other brand (mm.. Tecno Plus, I think) from them few years ago and I guess that's been OK to play (I don't play with pads, but some of my friends do).
I have that boomerang pad but it's bad. You have to press the dpad very hard so playing a platform game is a workout and you often die because it doesn't register a press. So I'm also looking for a better pad.
Old 22 April 2015, 18:58   #10
demether

Even if a joypad choice is a matter of personal choice/feeling, you can try to find the Propad I found. The slighty bigger Dpad (compared to snes) is precise and diagonals are easy also. A demanding game like Turrican3 (for instance) is very playable with it.

The only issue is the buttons, I prefer them more firm and "clicky". Overall they still be accurate and you don't need to push them strong to activate them.
Old 24 April 2015, 23:15   #11
Lemming880

Thanks for the info. I already found a used mega drive pad for cheap. Works alot better. The dpad is quite sensitive though so in platform games where up is jump I often jump when not intended. Hopefully I get used to it or I'll keep looking for another pad lol.
AdSense AdSense