English Amiga Board Amiga Lore

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 06 April 2015, 05:57   #1
rsn8887

Integer pre-scale to reduce blurry pixels?

I got a new flatscreen monitor. I thought I would finally try to let WinUAE scale to the full screen without extra borders and forego the obsession with "perfect pixels" to get a nice big picture instead.

Now I realize I never understood the filters panel. To reduce blurring and minimize pixel wobbling, I would like to do an integer pre-scale 2x, e.g. a simple pixel doubling. Then I would like WinUAE to apply bilinear filtering from there to scale the 2x pre-scaled bitmap up or down to the "odd" full screen pixel resolution of my display, which is a non-integer multiple of the Amiga resolution.

I think in Mame this feature is called pre-scaling, and it is quite useful. In other emulators it is sometimes called software scaling "simple 2x" which can be enabled in addition to the hardware (bilinear) scaling.

I am pretty sure this can be accomplished with the filters panel, but I am lost at the moment.

EDIT: using latest beta in Windows 7 now. It works like a charm at the moment apart from this little hickup.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 06 April 2015, 11:26   #2
thomas

Move the slider below Point/Bilinear to the far right.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	extra_settings.PNG
Views:	142
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	43892  
Old 10 April 2015, 02:30   #3
LocalH
Amiga user since 1990

That's not what OP is asking for, though. They're asking for a pre-scale to the largest integer scale that will fit, for a subsequent bilinear scale (which will resuly in much sharper pixel edges by and large, without the uneven scaling you get with a pure point scale to arbitrary resolution).

Not sure what the settings are for that, or if it's even possible (I like the scanlines and double+fields settings to simulate a 15KHz signal in OCS modes). It's basically what happens when you use double line mode along with superhires resolution, but with more flexibility (as it would work for any source and target resolution equally well).
Old 10 April 2015, 09:57   #4
21stcentury

Try this. Excellents results for me !
Old 10 April 2015, 18:11   #5
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Only existing "pre-scale" option is superhires in horizontal direction (which will also increase CPU usage a lot because it is UAE emulation core level option) but vertical does not have "4x" option.
AdSense AdSense