Adding tygre's AmiModRadio.

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=79117

https://bitbucket.org/tygre/amimodradio/overview

http://sourceforge.net/projects/amimodradio/

GPL license!
AdSense AdSense  
Old 22 July 2015, 18:58   #282
Leandro Jardim

OK, I understand nobody want to release their source code to GPL/BSD/zLib/MIT licenses, etc. Yes, really I understand. But when I look for sample source code or tutorials on Aminet or even the entire Internet, for people like me which would like to learn AmigaOS programming I found nothing (I am not speaking about AMOS, Blitz, OBERON or AmigaE, etc...). I could only find the ACM and some bits and pieces from James Jacobs (thanks, really!). So, AmigaOS programmers dont want to release their source code, even when they have retired the AmigaOS programming scene, and also nobody want to teach anyone how to program in AmigaOS, even giving simple examples is cumbersome for them.

I think this is the thing wXR is referring to and fighting with us, many programmers retired the scene, they abandoned AmigaOS and their own software, the programs they did are nearly lost forever, because their source code are almost unusable in Windows, MacOS or Linux, that is, outside of AmigaOS these programs will become another product, another program and another market (and if the name of the package or something is the same it doesnt matter, its another market, its a "parallel world"). The remaining programmers love their hard work, and so dont want to give their source code for competitors or they want to have the full merit for their work. This would be all right, that is, if everyone helped the scene to grow by helping other people to learn AmigaOS C and ASM programming, and this way to release their own software.

But the reality, is that the AmigaOS scene dont think like the Linux or the Windows scene, because the AmigaOS scene want to grow itself, to be bigger and powerful like Microsoft Windows, but in the same way, we dont want *internal* competition, we dont want to share our knowledge with everyone, we want success, merit, fortune, but we want to difficult the same progress for others too...

The point of this very thread is not about cheap software, or free (like its spoken in english); its the opposite, its really about the back of the Amiga market, with new software, new competition, and new money (or seen in another way, its like about society and freedom, and not about a free lunch).

Last edited by Leandro Jardim; 22 July 2015 at 20:11.
Old 23 July 2015, 00:50   #283
Vot

http://www.computerhistory.org/_stat...y-source-code/
Old 23 July 2015, 00:50   #284
kamelito
Zone Friend

Even EA does it : Dpaint !!!

http://www.computerhistory.org/_stat...y-source-code/
Old 23 July 2015, 00:52   #285
Vot

Please open source all the things

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamelito View Post

Come on kamelito, your a bit late to the party... This is old news.. I posted about it about a whole 3 seconds before you.
Old 23 July 2015, 01:10   #286
kolla

Oboy - do they still have source code for 5.2? I am willing to pay quite a lot for liberating the sources for DPaint 5.2!! Maybe it can be a future Power2People funding project?
Old 23 July 2015, 01:29   #287
copse

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolla View Post
Oboy - do they still have source code for 5.2? I am willing to pay quite a lot for liberating the sources for DPaint 5.2!! Maybe it can be a future Power2People funding project?
I don't see why you would need to pay for it. The source code at the link above, is non-commercially licensed. If you talked to the right person, you might be able to get a later version under the same license.

You could start with the computer history museum people, and ask who they recommend contacting about it. If that fails, try and contact Dan Silva. Pay with your time, and do some leg work perhaps. Or offer someone else money to spend time chasing this up.

I contacted 3 people about releasing their source code for non-Amiga projects the other week, and all 3 said they'd do it. Of course, they've got to find the time, and clean up the source code, so it might never happen. But people are willing. I can't push them because I have no right to demand they spend tonnes of time getting their source code ready.

Good luck!
Old 23 July 2015, 01:32   #288
kolla

Yes, you are right. Just saying I would be willing to pay quite a bit

I left a comment on the site, with a question regarding newer sources, let's see what happens.

Last edited by kolla; 23 July 2015 at 01:50.
Old 23 July 2015, 02:54   #289
bdalzell

I moved to Open Source Linux from Amiga OS after my Amigas died and the Amithlon stopped working due to loosing the GForce graphics card) mostly because Linux reminds me more of Amiga OS than any other modern OS. So I have a lot of experience with open source software in the passing 10 years.

Open source soft ware means the source code is available in human readable form, but open source does not mean you cannot charge for it or that it is not protected by copyright and you still can sue people who rip off the code and use it in their own product and demand royalties from them.

In fact most open source soft ware is copy righted - if for no other reason than to keep someone else from filling copyright.

In another enterprise venue, patents are "open source" in that the device must be described in such a manner that others can build one and also confirm that it works. However patent law requires that anyone incorporating the patented device or technique into their product must pay a royalty or not use the technique.

Of course there is the problem of enforcement ;-)

A number of companies that have "enterprise major" pieces of software such as Apache(used by most servers) still have the software presented as open source so that clients can modify things to suite special circumstances.

The concept of Open Source is "free" as in "freedom" (to understand) not "free" as in "free beer".

Given how successful hackers are at copying and breaking software install protection, software authors gain little from not providing the source code at some point in the later in the release cycle of their product.

Last edited by bdalzell; 23 July 2015 at 02:59. Reason: Clarify some points

Old 23 July 2015, 08:10   #290
kamelito
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vot View Post
Come on kamelito, your a bit late to the party... This is old news.. I posted about it about a whole 3 seconds before you.
You make me 😂
Old 23 July 2015, 23:06   #291
copse

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdalzell View Post
Given how successful hackers are at copying and breaking software install protection, software authors gain little from not providing the source code at some point in the later in the release cycle of their product.
I snipped the rest of your standard free software movement sermon. Good for you and your personal beliefs and the way you live them.

Unfortunately, the bit I did quote doesn't really work. They gain immensely from NOT providing the source code. Modern re-releases of older games, sometimes even wrapped in emulators. Chinese clones of Android apps that can be reverse engineered. Etc. To release the source code undermines future earnings, and devalues assets.

Of course, this is mostly related to games, which is what I am assuming you mean since you refer to "software install protection".
Old 27 July 2015, 20:25   #292
Akira

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=79222
Angband Amiga by alkis
Old 22 August 2015, 21:25   #293
wXR

"Timur Lenk" and "Fistpig", Amiga 4KB intros by Spaceballs and Ephidrena

https://github.com/kusma/Spb-Eph-Amiga-4k

Intentionally unclear license, apparently. But perhaps a good learning tool.
Old 10 September 2015, 09:36   #294
wXR

This might be helpful at some point:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compar...tware_licenses
Old 10 September 2015, 20:59   #295
bubbob42

Please open source all the things

we open sourced the clock changer & CPU governor of the ACA1221 card: http://wiki.icomp.de/w/images/1/1c/A...1-aug-2015.lha

Folder "developer/examples"

Also, the Roadshow SDK by Olaf Barthel contains helpful source code for the utilities included with Roadshow TCP Stack.
Old 10 September 2015, 21:36   #296
Michael
A1260T/PPC/BV/SCSI/NET

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolla View Post
Where is 5.2 ?! .... 5.0 is the last, and sadly buggy release
Old 18 September 2015, 20:34   #297
Ratte

My best project:

http://www.a1k.org/forum/showthread.php?p=417467

There are several hundred pieces out there.
(still missing an entry in the big book of amiga hardware)
Old 19 September 2015, 12:23   #298
wXR

Ratte, cheers! Especially for coming through with the source even after our little misunderstanding (sorry again about that). What license are you stating for the source, if any?
Old 19 September 2015, 21:47   #299
Ratte

Quote:
Originally Posted by wXR View Post
What license are you stating for the source, if any?
The monitor switch and software is free, except for comercial use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratte @a1k.org - bing translated
I hereby authorize the right to post these instructions also on your forum, uploading images and files (book CD) and if necessary to use the soldering workshop as a project of the AmigaFuture explicitly.
The same applies to the control software, which can be used as ASM workshop if necessary.

EXPLOITATION OF THE DESIGN AND THE SOFTWARE IS WITHOUT MY CONSENT EXPRESSLY PROHIBITED!
Old 19 September 2015, 23:07   #300
wXR

Eagleplayer is GPL-licensed, I just realized.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/eagleplayer/
AdSense AdSense