English Amiga Board Amiga Lore

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene > Member Introductions

Old 29 March 2015, 04:40   #1
StantheAmigaMan

New to forum, not to Amiga

Good evening all! I apologize if this has been answered somewhere but I can't find it. So here goes:

I'm re-acquiring an Amiga 1200 setup and maxing it out. I've already gotten 2 CF cards for it (by accident, so I got a dual-IDE cable to enable use of both) but my main reason for getting a real Amiga again is to run classic software on it. Now, having said that, once I get the CF cards formatted and one bootable, would I be able to simply copy the files directly from the DF0: drive onto the CF and run them from there? Or would I be stuck with running emulated files? If it's the latter, I don't see the point in getting a real machine again. Call me a purist.

I haven't even gotten my 1200 back yet, but the system I will eventually build is:
A1200 w/3.1 ROMs, , 68030/40, 128MB RAM, 2 4GB CF cards (WB 3.1, spare)
Internal flicker fixer
A1010 external drive
Running on an AOC Monitor via DVI cable

AdSense AdSense  
Old 29 March 2015, 08:33   #2
Jope
-

Send a message via Skype™ to Jope
Welcome back!

If you're running the files on the A1200, then it's real hw running them, not an emulator.. Please explain what you meant by emulated files. :-)

If you have two CF cards, it'd probably be a good idea to keep one formatted with FAT32, and then reading it with a CF -> PCMCIA adapter.. This makes transfering large amounts of data to the Amiga a lot nicer than when using floppies.

That's a pretty nice all around config there.. A high-end 030 is quite ok for a lot of the things you'd want to do with an Amiga.
Old 29 March 2015, 16:08   #3
StantheAmigaMan

I should've been more specific. Everything I've read about the CF cards have included WHDLoad. Why is that on real hardware? Maybe I'm not understanding. What I mean by emulated files is what we run on UAE... RP9 files. I'd much rathr makes Scribble directory, for example, copy everything to that one, and run it, instead of findng a rom for it, copying that over, an using WHDLoad. Am I making sense?

Old 29 March 2015, 20:48   #4
Jope
-

Send a message via Skype™ to Jope
WHDLoad is on the real hardware because most games don't run off the HD and they don't like fast CPUs either.

The WHDLoad slave patches these games on the fly to load off the HD and also fixes the fast CPU bugs.

So if games are your thing, then either you're going to have to get an unexpanded A500 and an unexpanded A1200 with a pile of floppy disks, or a moderately expanded A1200 and run the games with WHDLoad.

But it's not emulation, it's running on the real HW, it's merely a patch framework.
Old 29 March 2015, 21:12   #5
StantheAmigaMan

THAT makes sense. I've been away from real Amigas for so long that I'd forgotten some of the titles don't like newer CPUs as most were written for the 68000.

AdSense AdSense