English Amiga Board Amiga Lore

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 15 March 2015, 17:22   #1
macce2
Retro maniac

CD32 emulator settings etc.

Maybe some of you have tried (and used) the CD32 emulator software that came with some cd file system package, was it Cache CDFS ?!
I have made some floppy for that and succesfully played quite a many CD32 games. However, there are some games that don't seem to work.
I think the CD32 emulator installation had some kind of problems; that is, I think the boot floppy disk I made years ago and have used isn't the exactly as it should. So some files may be missing, or there may be some files on the diks that i have added but arent used. (?!)
So by first, I would be very happy if someone thinks he has a properly installed boot floppy disk, he would upload it to the Zone!

Secondly, does there exist some kind of guide/database for correct settings with different CD32 games ?

Oh, I forgot to mention that I'm using A4000D with internal IDE CD rom drive, connected to the internal IDE bus.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 15 March 2015, 22:27   #2
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL Send a message via Skype™ to FOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by macce2 View Post
Maybe some of you have tried (and used) the CD32 emulator software that came with some cd file system package, was it Cache CDFS ?!
I have made some floppy for that and succesfully played quite a many CD32 games. However, there are some games that don't seem to work.
I think the CD32 emulator installation had some kind of problems; that is, I think the boot floppy disk I made years ago and have used isn't the exactly as it should. So some files may be missing, or there may be some files on the diks that i have added but arent used. (?!)
So by first, I would be very happy if someone thinks he has a properly installed boot floppy disk, he would upload it to the Zone!

Secondly, does there exist some kind of guide/database for correct settings with different CD32 games ?

Oh, I forgot to mention that I'm using A4000D with internal IDE CD rom drive, connected to the internal IDE bus.
I used the CD32 Emulator that came with the squirrel drive (it also allows you to use Fast RAM, which makes stuff very smooth) and used OS3.9 cache cdfs. Every single CD32 game I have thrown at it works perfectly.
Only draw back is, it will not play CDTV games.

Squirrel disk is here

Last edited by FOL; 15 March 2015 at 22:35.
Old 16 March 2015, 11:45   #3
OldB0y

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOL View Post
I used the CD32 Emulator that came with the squirrel drive (it also allows you to use Fast RAM, which makes stuff very smooth) and used OS3.9 cache cdfs. Every single CD32 game I have thrown at it works perfectly.
Only draw back is, it will not play CDTV games.

Squirrel disk is here
I too use the Squirrel interface and its CD32 emulator. Many games DO work, however there are those that won't - namely anything that requires the CD32's Akiko chip. For example, the Lotus Trilogy doesn't work (uses Akiko chip for some kind of software protection).
Old 16 March 2015, 19:23   #4
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldB0y View Post
I too use the Squirrel interface and its CD32 emulator. Many games DO work, however there are those that won't - namely anything that requires the CD32's Akiko chip. For example, the Lotus Trilogy doesn't work (uses Akiko chip for some kind of software protection).
Hmmm, I have had Lotus Trilogy working. When I next use my A1200 I will go them.
Old 17 March 2015, 19:00   #5
macce2
Retro maniac

Many Thanks!
Well, does it require any specific hardware to use your Squirrel interface..?! :-o
Old 17 March 2015, 20:12   #6
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Lotus Trilogy and few other games use hardware hitting loader (RNC).
Old 18 March 2015, 13:05   #7
OldB0y

Quote:
Many Thanks!
Well, does it require any specific hardware to use your Squirrel interface..?! :-o
Yes, Squirrel SCSI or Surf Squirrel - neither of which will work in an A4000, as they are PCMCIA devices and therefore A600/A1200 only.

There are CD32 'Emulators' available for CD-ROMs connected using the IDE interface in an A1200/A4000. I seem to recall one was supplied with the IDEfix97 (and probably 99) package, but I haven't used IDEfix in years I'm afraid - since having the Squirrel SCSI.
Old 18 March 2015, 18:19   #8
macce2
Retro maniac

I think the emulator I'm using was supplied with the IDEfix package. I recall the installation had some kind of problem. It did copy most of the files required to a floppy disk, but it is possible something went wrong / was missing (?!). I think I din't investigate the problem more precisely, because the CD32 Emulator boot floppy disk I made seemed to work.
I hope someone would help solving this. Of course, I could try to install it again. What is the most recent version of IDEfix package ? :-o .-o
Old 18 March 2015, 19:22   #9
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldB0y View Post
Yes, Squirrel SCSI or Surf Squirrel - neither of which will work in an A4000, as they are PCMCIA devices and therefore A600/A1200 only.

There are CD32 'Emulators' available for CD-ROMs connected using the IDE interface in an A1200/A4000. I seem to recall one was supplied with the IDEfix97 (and probably 99) package, but I haven't used IDEfix in years I'm afraid - since having the Squirrel SCSI.
You can still use the Squirrel cd32 emulator. I explained a thread somewhere how I did it. So you only took the bits you needed for make it work with an A1200 and CDROM drive. Same should work for A4000.
Old 20 March 2015, 19:44   #10
macce2
Retro maniac

@FOL

I tried the squirrel install disk, but when I tried to make a boot floppy disk, after installing some files succesfully the installation hang up. It was when selecting the device. In my case, scsi.device.
Maybe you can give me more directions, and/or the link to the thread you mentioned ?! :-)
Or maybe someone with working boot floppy would upload it the Zone!
Old 20 March 2015, 20:01   #11
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Quote:
@FOL

I tried the squirrel install disk, but when I tried to make a boot floppy disk, after installing some files succesfully the installation hang up. It was when selecting the device. In my case, scsi.device.
Maybe you can give me more directions, and/or the link to the thread you mentioned ?! :-)
Or maybe someone with working boot floppy would upload it the Zone!

What drives do you have.

I set mine up in WinUAE. Then altered the CD0 in dosdrivers to point to atapi.device (from IDEfix package). I also did alot of tweaking to the startup, so if a disc is present it would boot it.

Try here.
http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=974229&postcount=2
Old 20 March 2015, 20:27   #12
macce2
Retro maniac

Thank you.
I have one hard drive about 16 Gb and a CD-RW drive connected to the internal IDE bus.
I'm using OS 3.9 with Bb's 1&2 installed. The ROM update is flashed to the eFlash card.
Oh, and an 68040 @ 25 Mhz.

Then, how about the different settings for individual games..? Does the CD32 emulator that came with the Squirrel disk manage them somehow automatically..?!
It can sometimes be very frustrating, when you're using CD32 Emulator (IDEfix package) and trying different settings and rebooting the machine again and again to find the correct settings.. :-o

Last edited by macce2; 20 March 2015 at 20:49.
Old 21 March 2015, 18:58   #13
macce2
Retro maniac

Now I got the Squirrel CD32/CDTV/CD Boot disk installation working.
But there are graphics bugs at least in two games, Chaos Engine and Speedball 2. And once I got Speedball 2 working, there was no audio tracks. (messed around with different CD filesystems, CacheCDFS and the one that came with the Squirrel install disk )
FOL, did you get audio tracks working too ?
Did I understand right that you first made a CD boot floppy disk with the Squirrel installer, then made that boot floppy to use CacheCDFS instead ?
I think it would be great idea to list all the files required to make a CD32 Boot floppy make work perfectly.
Where i can get the latest version of the file atapi.device ?
Strange, for my os 3.9 installation seems to have no such a file, but the CD32 Emulator floppy disk I made earlier (CacheCDFS) does..
Should I change the default exec device scsi.device for atapi.device ? OS , too ? ... :-o
I
Old 22 March 2015, 13:48   #14
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Quote:
Now I got the Squirrel CD32/CDTV/CD Boot disk installation working.
But there are graphics bugs at least in two games, Chaos Engine and Speedball 2. And once I got Speedball 2 working, there was no audio tracks. (messed around with different CD filesystems, CacheCDFS and the one that came with the Squirrel install disk )
FOL, did you get audio tracks working too ?
Did I understand right that you first made a CD boot floppy disk with the Squirrel installer, then made that boot floppy to use CacheCDFS instead ?
I think it would be great idea to list all the files required to make a CD32 Boot floppy make work perfectly.
Where i can get the latest version of the file atapi.device ?
Strange, for my os 3.9 installation seems to have no such a file, but the CD32 Emulator floppy disk I made earlier (CacheCDFS) does..
Should I change the default exec device scsi.device for atapi.device ? OS , too ? ... :-o
I

No, I HDD installed the squirrel CD32 Emulator, then altered it to make it check for disk on boot, instead of holding mouse button down to start it.

Chaos engine works perfect for me.
Im using the IDEFix ATAPI device and OS3.9 BB2 CacheCDFS.
Old 22 March 2015, 18:31   #15
macce2
Retro maniac

Ok now I got the audio tracks working, but there are graphics bugs in Speedball2 playing screen menu bar.
In Chaos Engine, there was some kind of graphics bugs (colourful pixel mosaic) in the main playing screen menu bar and/ or some characters (Navvie, Mercenary) too, before when I was experimenting with my old CD32 Emulator boot floppy disks (the one that came with the Idefix package). with both emulators, there was some kind of graphics pixel trash on the Instructions menu texture when I first selected Instructions in the main menu when just having loaded the game, but sometimes after I had played once to Game Over and returned to the titles and selected the Instructions, it worked sometimes fine. Could this be a cpu issue ? Did I understand right I need the 68040.library, too ? which version of that library I need ?! Can I trust to the most recent version of it (is it available in Aminet)?! :- O How about the atapi.device, then ? Is it ok to use the version that came with the IDEfix 97 package ? Or is there a more recent version of it ? How about the SetPatch version ..?
:-o :-o

Last edited by macce2; 22 March 2015 at 19:23.
Old 22 March 2015, 21:14   #16
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Quote:
Ok now I got the audio tracks working, but there are graphics bugs in Speedball2 playing screen menu bar.
In Chaos Engine, there was some kind of graphics bugs (colourful pixel mosaic) in the main playing screen menu bar and/ or some characters (Navvie, Mercenary) too, before when I was experimenting with my old CD32 Emulator boot floppy disks (the one that came with the Idefix package). with both emulators, there was some kind of graphics pixel trash on the Instructions menu texture when I first selected Instructions in the main menu when just having loaded the game, but sometimes after I had played once to Game Over and returned to the titles and selected the Instructions, it worked sometimes fine. Could this be a cpu issue ? Did I understand right I need the 68040.library, too ? which version of that library I need ?! Can I trust to the most recent version of it (is it available in Aminet)?! :- O How about the atapi.device, then ? Is it ok to use the version that came with the IDEfix 97 package ? Or is there a more recent version of it ? How about the SetPatch version ..?
You could be having an issue due to your accelerator, try early startup menu and disable cpu caches and see what happens, obviously this will make your system slower. It could be the speed and cpu causing issue.
Ive only ever used 020 and 030.
Old 23 March 2015, 14:59   #17
OldB0y

Quote:
I had similar issues with my Blizzard 1260. The issues were largely resolved by changing the 060 libraries I was using to the MUlib ones. The only CD32 game that works I currently get graphical glitches with is Superstardust.
Old 23 March 2015, 19:48   #18
macce2
Retro maniac

I'm using just Commodore's 68040@25 MHz, no accelerator. I have 16 Mb Fast Memory on motherboard slots and some Zorro2 Ram.
Does CD32 Emulator use 68040.library (or 68060.library) ?
Btw, If I remember right, Boing Bag 2 didn't update CacheCDFS at all. It did some update on scsi.device, which is ignored if using IDEfix.
@FOL, which version of IDEfix software you have installed?
And how do I know, which one is better for my system, scsi.device or atapi.device ..?! :-o
Old 23 March 2015, 23:21   #19
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Quote:
I'm using just Commodore's 68040@25 MHz, no accelerator. I have 16 Mb Fast Memory on motherboard slots and some Zorro2 Ram.
Btw, If I remember right, Boing Bag 2 didn't update CacheCDFS at all. It did some update on scsi.device, which is ignored if using IDEfix.
And how do I know, which one is better for my system, scsi.device or atapi.device ..?! :-o
Im using the last version, which is on aminet and it shouldn't matter, if your using either scsi or atapi. Atapi is just used to activate the second channel if your using IDEFix splitter.

As you have an 040 accelerator, you need to use the 040 library.
Old 24 March 2015, 15:01   #20
OldB0y

Quote:
Okay, the CD32 has a 68020 CPU, and all games for it would be written with this in mind. Using an Amiga with an 030/040/060 to emulate a CD32 may introduce issues if their instruction sets are not 100% compatible with the instruction set of the 68020. This is certainly the case with the 040 and 060.

This is why the 68040.library and 68060.library exist (there are official and unofficial versions available) - to translate unsupported 68000/68020 instructions for the 040/060

Even with these libraries you may still get some graphical glitching (like I do with Super Stardust) as they are not going to solve 100% of issues etc.

As an aside, from what I remember when I was using my Blizzard 1230, it had much fewer - if any - issues with supported CD32 games, and I can't remember ever having to use a '68030.library'. I may be wrong about this, but I think the reason is that the 68030 is pretty much an 020 that can run at higher clock speeds.
AdSense AdSense