English Amiga Board Amiga Lore


Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

 
 
Thread Tools
Old 04 March 2015, 19:49   #21
adrdesign
Registered User

adrdesign's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Spain
Age: 38
Posts: 267
I wonder how he managed to flash/program the PIC... maybe a with hammer and a chisel?
adrdesign is offline  
AdSense AdSense  
Old 04 March 2015, 19:58   #22
Mounty
Hardware Design Engineer

Mounty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: www.KMTech.co.uk
Posts: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzsteve View Post
@Mounty, some A1200 (1D4 for example) have a header the Mouse port plugs into, would you be able to make one which connects to the header and secures to the port so it's all internal?
Sounds like that would have very limited appeal. Not sure I would be able to recoup the development/prototyping costs.

Another problem would be connecting the USB or PS/2 mouse to the Amiga if all you can access from the outside is the 9-pin mouse port.

Last edited by Mounty; 04 March 2015 at 20:04. Reason: Adding info.
Mounty is offline  
Old 04 March 2015, 20:16   #23
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!
fitzsteve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Kent, UK
Age: 37
Posts: 6,340
Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
Yeah probably more of a mod someone can do by just buying the PCB

I think it would be pretty cool just having a USB port for the mouse instead of the device connected and then the mouse.
fitzsteve is offline  
Old 04 March 2015, 20:16   #24
Zippy Zapp
Registered User

Zippy Zapp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: CA/USA
Posts: 295
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzsteve View Post
@Mounty, some A1200 (1D4 for example) have a header the Mouse port plugs into, would you be able to make one which connects to the header and secures to the port so it's all internal?
Doing it this way wouldn't you loose the port for joystick?
Zippy Zapp is offline  
Old 04 March 2015, 20:21   #25
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!
fitzsteve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Kent, UK
Age: 37
Posts: 6,340
Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy Zapp View Post
Doing it this way wouldn't you loose the port for joystick?
No, it's only the mouse port that is connected by the cable, see here:

http://www.bigbookofamigahardware.co..._darkgreen.jpg
fitzsteve is offline  
Old 04 March 2015, 20:22   #26
Mrs Beanbag
Glastonbridge Software
Mrs Beanbag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Edinburgh/Scotland
Posts: 2,202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mounty View Post
Sounds like that would have very limited appeal. Not sure I would be able to recoup the development/prototyping costs.

Another problem would be connecting the USB or PS/2 mouse to the Amiga if all you can access from the outside is the 9-pin mouse port.
I'm not sure we understand each other...

look at how the mouse port connects on this picture:
http://www.bigbookofamigahardware.co...0mb_rev1d4.jpg

Of course it could be made internal without using the header directly, it would just be a little neater is all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy Zapp View Post
Doing it this way wouldn't you loose the port for joystick?
Well, USB mouse port could be routed to the little expansion panel next to the joystick ports. Maybe some sort of switcher unit could be put in between, allowing use of both (maybe just some OR gates).
Mrs Beanbag is offline  
Old 04 March 2015, 20:23   #27
Mounty
Hardware Design Engineer

Mounty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: www.KMTech.co.uk
Posts: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzsteve View Post
Yeah probably more of a mod someone can do by just buying the PCB

I think it would be pretty cool just having a USB port for the mouse instead of the device connected and then the mouse.
Yes you're right. It might be worth doing if you could disable/remove the db9 mouse port and fit a USB receptacle instead.

I'm sure the pros and cons have been discussed many times before on this forum.
Mounty is offline  
Old 04 March 2015, 20:42   #28
Zippy Zapp
Registered User

Zippy Zapp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: CA/USA
Posts: 295
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzsteve View Post
No, it's only the mouse port that is connected by the cable, see here:

http://www.bigbookofamigahardware.co..._darkgreen.jpg
I understand that. I remember playing some multi-player games way back when that used two joysticks. That's what I meant, unless you had some sort of switch or expansion port like mentioned by Mrs Beanbag, you would loose that capability to plug in a joystick on port 1, no?
Zippy Zapp is offline  
Old 04 March 2015, 21:08   #29
Mrs Beanbag
Glastonbridge Software
Mrs Beanbag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Edinburgh/Scotland
Posts: 2,202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy Zapp View Post
I understand that. I remember playing some multi-player games way back when that used two joysticks. That's what I meant, unless you had some sort of switch or expansion port like mentioned by Mrs Beanbag, you would loose that capability to plug in a joystick on port 1, no?
unless the adapter could handle a USB joystick as well.

imagine that.
Mrs Beanbag is offline  
Old 04 March 2015, 21:44   #30
Zippy Zapp
Registered User

Zippy Zapp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: CA/USA
Posts: 295
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Beanbag View Post
unless the adapter could handle a USB joystick as well.

imagine that.
That would, of course, be cool.
Zippy Zapp is offline  
Old 04 March 2015, 22:16   #31
Steve T
Registered User

Steve T's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: UK
Age: 37
Posts: 349
"USB joystick as well" yeah, but neither of these are USB devices at all, they are PS/2 to Amiga adapters but with a USB port built in, for obvious and sensible reasons.

That said, I don't mean that as a put down, Mounty's boards are very, *very* well executed, as I've enthused about in the past, I've used mine for 2 years now with no problems.
Steve T is offline  
Old 04 March 2015, 22:17   #32
Mrs Beanbag
Glastonbridge Software
Mrs Beanbag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Edinburgh/Scotland
Posts: 2,202
hmm i wonder now if something could be rigged up to connect to both joystick ports and the parallel port, that could handle joysticks (up to 4), mice and USB sticks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve T View Post
"USB joystick as well" yeah, but neither of these are USB devices at all, they are PS/2 to Amiga adapters but with a USB port built in, for obvious and sensible reasons.
yeah i realise that, just getting over-excited.
Mrs Beanbag is offline  
Old 04 March 2015, 22:33   #33
Steve T
Registered User

Steve T's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: UK
Age: 37
Posts: 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Beanbag View Post
yeah i realise that, just getting over-excited.
hehe.

Maybe your device would fit over the parallel, joystick and mouse ports externally, simultaneously, running intelligently and independently of the OS, feeding signals to the correct ports based on what is connected
Steve T is offline  
Old 05 March 2015, 11:56   #34
Mounty
Hardware Design Engineer

Mounty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: www.KMTech.co.uk
Posts: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve T View Post
"USB joystick as well" yeah, but neither of these are USB devices at all, they are PS/2 to Amiga adapters but with a USB port built in, for obvious and sensible reasons.

That said, I don't mean that as a put down, Mounty's boards are very, *very* well executed, as I've enthused about in the past, I've used mine for 2 years now with no problems.
Cheers Steve. There's nothing I would like better than creating an adapter that would work with a modern, non-PS/2 protocol mouse. Maybe something for the future...
Mounty is offline  
AdSense AdSense  
 


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 00:34.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Page generated in 0.17856 seconds with 11 queries