English Amiga Board Amiga Lore

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 18 February 2015, 19:49   #1
Nightshader

Supported PPC and RTG hardware

Nooby question:

Are there other PPC accelerators than Cyberstorm working with 4.1? Would A1200 with BlizzardPPC work? (Allows more RAM)
Are other GFX cards working except Picasso? I think the memory is very limited in Picasso4 and so are resolutions/color depths.
I canīt try because I have other issues at the moment.
And If these options are not working ATM, are there plans for the future?

Last edited by Toni Wilen; 18 February 2015 at 19:55. Reason: Moved, nothing to do with betas.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 18 February 2015, 20:15   #2
Snake79

Confirmed, A1200 with BlizzardPPC is working (allowing 256MB RAM) but it's rather slow (only IDE is supported) comparing to A4000 CyberstormPPC (SCSI) config...
For now, supported GFX are AGA and Picasso (4MB max).
The future depends on the Toni (and community support)...
Old 20 February 2015, 11:39   #3
Nightshader

Hi, I got everything working now and both Blizzard and Cyberstorm work now. (Iīd never dreamt of having BOTH cards actually.. even though itīs emulation.hahaha!)

Since I also have virtual memory working now, what bothers me most is the lack of proper resolutions.

Whatīs the problem with uaegfx? I know uae addons donīt work with ppc emulation, but where lies the problem? Is it WinUAEīs limitations or OS4īs? or both?
Old 04 March 2015, 15:24   #4
antiriad76

I will re-post some of Tony's responses in regards to UAEGFX from another thread:

Quote:
Only fully implemented (and license compatible) hardware SVGA chip emulation that exists is Cirrus Logic chip range and all CL compatible cards are already emulated, unfortunately Amiga Z2/Z3 CL based boards have max 4M hardware VRAM limit.

I don't write boring PC hardware emulations. Someone elses problem as usual. Perhaps QEMU or DosBox or something else does it someday.

I also don't write non-m68k drivers. Same "solution": Find someone who writes uaegfx wrapper for OS4.
So the answer is that a UAEGFX Wrapper is needed for OS 4.X

Quote:
Uaegfx can be easily modified to also support alternative "hardware API", because it is mostly hardware emulation only, just poke parameters to some reserved memory, write command id to some address, just like real blitter-like hardware works.

Filesystem and others can't support this method because they don't emulate hardware, they are practically the driver, they also need to see m68k state and control it (which allows them to run in another host thread).
AdSense AdSense