|17 February 2015, 23:26||#1|
Can someone update me please?
1st post here.
I own a towered A1200 with various added bits, have been away from the Amiga for a while and am trying to catch up. I'm not having much luck.
When I left Amiga Inc were going to make it possible to run Amiga os everywhere thanks to TAO, yes it's -apparently - been that long.
Now I come back and find TAO have been taken over, and then bought themselves back and now do stuff for music.
What I have found out so far really does not make much sense.
Amiga Inc still have a web site but what's on it looks strange (v expensive tablets) and out of date as it's still mentioning TAO.
According to wikipedia (taken with large chunk of salt) Amiga Inc sued hyperion, who then sued Amiga Inc, both of whom had their heads banged together by the US courts so that Hyperian had the rights to AmigaOS4.x and Amiga inc had rights to the Amiga name. Amiga Inc then sold this to of all people Commodore – who came back from wherever – announced a new Amiga thing plus some C64 things, got sued by Hyperion because they (Commodore) wanted to use Aros – which, along with Morphos Hyperion were saying is illegal (without providing any evidence they are - (?)) and have now apparently disappeared again.
Hyperian then made OS 4, 4.1, were going to make 4.2 but have apparently now gone bust (though they say they haven't)
Eyetech who made made some Amiga ones, have gone bust (?) however Amiga kit are selling selling power pc based amiga boards at a lot of money (sigh) and these run os4.1.something, which is apparently different to os4.1 final … ugh.
There have been a few efforts to build an amiga clone around FPGA's but I don't think these have come to much? (Natami for example)
In short I haven’t got a clue who owns what or if – ever – any new hardware will come to light, and given the mess I seem to have read am amazed that there is anything available at all!
So could someone please point me at a simple page, or I suspect small novel that gives the current state of things?
|17 February 2015, 23:38||#2|
Join Date: Sep 2007
I think you've got most of it covered
There is a great website somewhere with the whole sordid history but it's a very long read, unfortunately I don't have the link.
My personal interpretation of events:
1) Amiga Inc are DOA, never did much worth mentioning.
2) Hyperion used the 3.1 source code and ported it to PPC, then added some minor updates. They did a reasonable job I guess but they have been incredibly slow to bring 3.1 into the modern era. It looks like OS 4.1 final edition may well be just that!
3) Eyetech tried to launch a new Amiga, it didn't work out too well...
4) MorphOS is still ticking along but has also had a very slow development life (same as OS 4)
5) AROS is another one to look into (an open-source attempt at OS 3.1)
6) Classic scene is still reasonably healthy, there are actually more Classic users than NG users (which says everything about the state of Amiga NG!)
7) FPGA's are a recent (and exciting) development
8) And there's also been some OS4 computers released over the years by ACube and A-EON
9) Lots of new Classic hardware has been released over the years (processor cards, sound cards etc) and new hardware continues to be released.
Last edited by NovaCoder; 18 February 2015 at 00:44.
|Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)|
|Thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|Update||Jambo||project.Jambo!||1||12 February 2010 14:19|
|WHDload update packs... update!||killergorilla||project.Killergorilla's WHD packs||19||08 March 2006 12:58|
|Update||bippym||project.Amiga Demo DVD||2||14 June 2004 23:45|
|Next update ?||whiteb||project.SPS (was CAPS)||17||05 December 2003 23:38|