English Amiga Board Amiga Lore

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 06 February 2015, 22:49   #1
Tobibrocki

WinUAE: No Emulation Window on Screen

Hi everyone,

I just registered here, so, hello, I hope my english is somewhat readable. ^^;

Anyway, the main reason I registered here is because I just don't know what to do anymore to fix this problem or what might cause it.

It's best if I start to explain from the beginning, well, recently I felt nostalgic again and bootet up my Amiga 1200 which has a CF Flash card as a Harddrive installed in it, however, I got messages popping up that there were issues in partition sectors, so my guess was that the Flash Card is going bad.
Naturally I want to save as much stuff as I can (I did artwork and a few icons for my Workbench on it etc.) and I wanted to do it the same way I initially setup the CF Card, in WinUAE.

I was using WinUAE 2.5.1 under my previous Windows 7 install to setup the CF Card, I have since switched to a new HDD with a fresh Win7 Install, so my first thoughts were to download the same exact version of WinUAE and bring over the config files for WinUAE from my old Harddrive.
I setup everything, put my CF Card in the slot, selected it as a HDD, clicked on "Start", the options Window disappeared AND..... nothing. A small Amiga Arrow logo icon did appear in the lower right windows bar (the one near the clock) and I checked Task Manager, a process was indeed running, but i couldn't access it, no window appeared, all I could do was terminate the process, the amiga "check" icon still remained though.
I tried it again and again, reinstalled WinUAE 2.5.1, installed a newer version (3.0.0) of it even, rebootet the PC nothing changed, not even booting a simple Amiga 500 without HDD, just the Kickstart ROM got any results.

I'm out of ideas, do you guys have any idea of what might be the issue here?
AdSense AdSense  
Old 07 February 2015, 11:24   #2
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Lets start from basics. Does it work if you don't mount any hardfiles or CF cards?

Next step is logs. Because you can only kill winuae after starting it, you need to start winuae with -log -logflush command line parameters ("winuae.exe -log -logflush"). Start emulation normally, wait at least 10 seconds, kill winuae, attach winuaelog.txt and winuaebootlog.txt.

if winuaelog.txt is not in same directory as winuae.exe, check last line of winuaebootlog.txt for path.
Old 07 February 2015, 12:55   #3
Tobibrocki

No, the same thing happens, it just never shows up with a window, it's safe to say that that isn't the issue I think.

I seem to have an issue making the winuaelog.txt, I tried the commandline aswell as making a shortcut and writing the parameters in the target section. For some reason, when I kill the winuae.exe via the task manager's process tab it just never creates a winuaelog.txt file. I looked in the folders and the one specified by the winuaebootlog.txt, but nothing is there. I have tried it at least six times now with no log being created. Do I have to do something specific in order for the log to be saved, like hit a certain key before killing the program?

I attached the winuaebootlog.txt so you can at least have a look at that.
Attached Files
File Type: txt winuaebootlog.txt (18.3 KB, 57 views)
Old 07 February 2015, 13:58   #4
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

I forgot to mention: tick also "Full logging" in Paths panel before starting emulation.
Old 07 February 2015, 14:02   #5
Tobibrocki

That did the trick, here they are!

I should mention that I still had it set to Directdraw when making the log to test it instead of Direct3D which is how I would normally have it set to, however both settings got me the same results.
Attached Files
File Type: txt winuaebootlog.txt (14.6 KB, 62 views)
File Type: txt winuaelog.txt (3.3 KB, 50 views)

Last edited by Tobibrocki; 07 February 2015 at 14:11.
Old 07 February 2015, 16:15   #6
Tobibrocki

Small "Update" from my side, I downloaded the 64-Bit Experimental Build of WinUAE, strangely enough, that seems to work, emulation shows up no problem, at least for a A500 it does, have yet to test it in A1200 Mode with the CF Card or any HDD Image for that matter.
Problem with the 64-Bit Build is the lack of a JIT for me, so I would still prefer the 32-Bit version to run since that has a JIT, at least temporary I can hopefully use this 64-Bit Version to make a Backup of my CF Card.

It doesn't solve the problem though. =/
And it makes me wonder if my Win7 Install suddently has something against 32-Bit Software. Maybe this "development" might help in getting this issue solved?
Old 07 February 2015, 16:39   #7
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Log says you have strange 5.1 SP3 64-bit which is more like Windows XP 64bit than Windows 7. (Some compatibility mode stuff enabled?)

Try following: Right click on winuae.exe in task manager, select "create dump file". Attach it (if it isn't huge) Use latest 3.1 beta.
Old 07 February 2015, 17:14   #8
Tobibrocki

Ah, yes, I tried that as a last resort, but compatibility mode didn't work either.

I downloaded the latest Beta, loaded one of my config files for my A1200 and was kinda hoping the result would be different but it wasn't.
The Dumpfile is quite large (well over 200MB), I got it reduced in zip to about 45MB, I'm currently trying to upload it to MEGA, it will probably take about an hour or so until it's fully uploaded (maybe more even), I'll post it as soon as it's up.
Old 07 February 2015, 17:50   #9
Tobibrocki

Ok, file is up, hopefully this link will work, please let me know if it's not or if the zip is somehow damaged:
https:///#!71RB2KBB!0korZscB-x89vk8B...9Hvy1pPdEl5Aic
Old 07 February 2015, 17:55   #10
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Argh. Actually EAB doesn't show a proper MEGA link. The txt file should work.
Attached Files
File Type: txt MEGA Crash dump.txt (73 Bytes, 39 views)

Last edited by Retro-Nerd; 07 February 2015 at 18:05.
Old 07 February 2015, 18:06   #11
Tobibrocki

I just tried to download it via the links, seems that it's not working, I'll upload the file to my DeviantART Sta.sh Account, at least there I know it will be downloadable for sure! But it will take some time, Sta.sh isn't known for it's upload/download speeds as it's mainly meant for pictures.

EDIT:
Retro-Nerd's Text file works perfectly, just download, copy the link inside into the browser adressbar and it should work! Thanks Retro-Nerd!
Old 07 February 2015, 19:09   #12
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

It gets stuck in wacom_tablet.dll. Up to date tablet driver?

WinUAE -> WTOpenW (Wintab32.dll) -> Wacom_Tablet.dll.
Old 07 February 2015, 19:56   #13
Tobibrocki

I just updated and restartet the Computer, even with the latest Wacom Drivers the 32-Bit Version doesn't seem to work, when I click Start, the Emulation Window never appears.
I tried turning the Tablet off, waited for a few seconds, then started WinUAE, no change.
Trying to restart the Computer with the tablet turned off is probably also a bit pointless as it more than likely loads the drivers on startup anyway.
And uninstalling the tablet and it's drivers is not what I want to do as it was quite a pain to setup in all the various programs.

I'm really glad the 64-Bit version at least works. Slightly off-topic question, but when is a JIT going to be implemented in the 64-Bit one?
Old 08 February 2015, 12:33   #14
MickJT

I know the answer to that one! Toni isn't really interested in the JIT side of things (he at least doesn't want to write his own JIT implementation). So, either someone else will have to write it, OR it could possibly be ported from the E-UAE PPC JIT project with some tweaking, since that was designed with cross-platform compatibility in mind but only runs on PPC host systems at the moment. Have a read here: http://euaejit.blogspot.com.au/2015/...y-edition.html
Old 08 February 2015, 14:15   #15
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

I don't normally work around driver bugs but next version will not "open" tablet driver if no tablet options are enabled.

Only useful existing 64-bit JIT is in Aranym. It will be merged, someday.. (Actually me and Frode had some plans last summer but then PPC happened.. Perhaps we have better luck next summer...)
AdSense AdSense