English Amiga Board Amiga Lore

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene > Member Introductions

Old 01 July 2016, 12:42   #21
haps
Rumpig

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyWilkins View Post
Greetings from the most southern state of Australia to the sunshine state!
No sunshine up here. This still be the 'Joh' state.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 01 July 2016, 12:46   #22
TroyWilkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by haps View Post
No sunshine up here. This still be the 'Joh' state.
Hahaha, and it's been wet all up and down the east coast recently - thankfully we didn't get flooded out here, but east, west and south of me got flooded - and north of me is bass straight so where I am almost became a much smaller island for a short while.

Good to see there are still a few Aussies who know how good the Amigas were and are!
Old 02 July 2016, 09:49   #23
TroyWilkins

I'm considering once it's up and running, getting a 1Mb RAM expansion to bring it up to the maximum 2Mb Chip RAM, A vampire 2, and a 4Gb CF card with the adapter.

Should I also be considering a Kickstart 3.1 and perhaps a ROM switcher, along with a PCMCIA network adapter so I can access the internet on it, or is that not worth the bother and extra expense?

How about KS 3.1, or will the Kickstart 2.05 it has now be good enough if I don't want to use it on the internet?

It'll mainly be used for games and the occasional productivity title such as deluxe music, deluxe paint and personal paint.

Thanks in advance!
Old 04 July 2016, 15:42   #24
klokwirk
klokwirk

We aren't all on the East coast. Hello from sunny Perth, West Australia. If you'de like to reminisce I invite you to check out the 'Commodore Cave' here.... [ Show youtube player ]
watch to the end for the best one.
cheers
g
Old 04 July 2016, 17:46   #25
Daedalus

@TroyWilkins
Glad you're getting it sorted I reckon a 3.1 ROM is a good idea, there are very few reasons not to (mostly old games compatibility), and I think the Vampire needs 3.1 anyway. Productivity software like you mentioned should run fine under 3.1, and it gives you the option of running 3.5 or 3.9 should you wish.
Old 05 July 2016, 07:17   #26
TroyWilkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by klokwirk View Post
We aren't all on the East coast. Hello from sunny Perth, West Australia. If you'de like to reminisce I invite you to check out the 'Commodore Cave' here.... [ Show youtube player ]
watch to the end for the best one.
cheers
g
Ahhh, cool, I saw your video about getting the NOS A1200 the other day, but hadn't seen this one. I have to admit to being slightly envious of your Commodore Cave, so many memories there, I had the same Star Printer at one stage, and have owned a 500/600/1200/2000/CD32 and 4000/040 in the past, along with a vic 20. I wish I ad the room to start up a collection like that - that was one of the reasons I decided on an A600, it can live in the cabinet under the TV in the lounge room, and simply be taken out when myself or one of the other members of the family want to use it. I'm sure the kids will enjoy it when I've got it all set up, I can see them getting hours of enjoyment out of deluxe paint and deluxe music, and maybe even AMOS Pro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
@TroyWilkins
Glad you're getting it sorted I reckon a 3.1 ROM is a good idea, there are very few reasons not to (mostly old games compatibility), and I think the Vampire needs 3.1 anyway. Productivity software like you mentioned should run fine under 3.1, and it gives you the option of running 3.5 or 3.9 should you wish.
Good points, thank you. I think most games that wouldn't work with the 3.1 Kickstart probably wouldn't work with the 2.05 Kickstart anyway, and Maybe something like relokick may work for some of those old games if they don't work with WHDload - or I could just get an A500 and make some rom for it too, hahaha.

I'm really looking forward to getting this back and re-discovering the joys of using an Amiga again.

I'm thinking my first purchases should be a 1Mb expansion, a 9pin "atari" style joystick and a IDE to CF adapter with CF card to store workbench and WHDload games on. Then probably a 3.1 ROM and put in my order for a Vampire while I still can!
AdSense AdSense