English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 09 February 2015, 02:01   #41
Akira

Great to have more new, properly made games on Amiga! Big ups!
AdSense AdSense  
Old 10 February 2015, 03:35   #42
hukka
Wolf-bear thing

Send a message via Skype™ to hukka
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gzegzolka View Post
I try LHA version under winuae , when I run exec I see demo and when I run SolomonsKey2 game load but screen goes dark when I select level and goes back to level select menu I'm sure I'm doing something wrong. Like I should put folder with game in different place or edit some files. I would love to play it and I would love to have whdload version of this game (because whd is easy to use).
Try running it from CLI, does that work? My guess is it somehow cannot locate the "data/Worlds" file.

The game doesn't play nice with Workbench on some setups, I'm not exactly sure why. On my friend's machine the game will show garbage and freeze at startup, but it works fine on my A1200.

Would anyone with some WHDLoad dev experience be willing to give me some help in converting the game to it? I can't seem to find info on what exactly is required to make a WHDLoad game at the source level (i.e. use the WHDLoad routines directly in your game's codebase) as opposed to writing a patch to modify an executable.

Oh, and another thing! Has anyone played around with the level editor? Found any problems with it? I'd be happy to replace some of my not-too-great Castle levels with user-contributed levels.

Last edited by hukka; 10 February 2015 at 03:42.
Old 10 February 2015, 05:12   #43
turrican3
Moon 1969 = amiga 1985

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
Great to have more new, properly made games on Amiga! Big ups!
+1
Old 10 February 2015, 06:06   #44
Codetapper
2 contact me: email only!

hukka: I quickly tried the generic WHDLoad slave and WinUAE completely crashes, it gets a HALT message down the bottom, all of memory is trashed with a repeated pattern of 8 bytes. There's something weird in the code for sure.

As you can probably guess, I much prefer to patch non-system friendly stuff - it's far less frustrating!
Old 10 February 2015, 23:15   #45
Gzegzolka

Hukka, I hope it will help in solving my problem. I use classicWB under winuae 2.8.1 . After messing with CPU (turning on/off FPU, JIT, 24bit and "more compatibile" buttons) and Chipset (blitter) settings I came to different bugs. Sometimes game starts and after short black screen shows guru error, or reset wb, or actually show intro text but after few screens of text winuae crash. I would say it must me something related to winuae configuration, like on one config it will run, but small change and it will return only errors.
Old 11 February 2015, 02:07   #46
hukka
Wolf-bear thing

Floppy disk

Changed the way files are loaded and fixed a bug in the sample loading routine. At least it works for me now. Please test! This version will quit back to WB by pressing Esc on the title screen.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...monsKey2HD.lha

(This version is for playing from hard drive in Kickstart 2+ only and is not meant to replace the floppy version.)
Old 11 February 2015, 05:40   #47
Gzegzolka

It works fine Now I see intro and levels load normal. Thanks, game itself is very interesting.
Old 11 February 2015, 06:11   #48
hukka
Wolf-bear thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gzegzolka View Post
It works fine Now I see intro and levels load normal. Thanks, game itself is very interesting.
Awesome
Old 11 February 2015, 22:33   #49
tolkien
AmigaMan

It works good now in my a1200 060. Only a yellow recovery alert on exit. Have to try It again tomorrow!

Last edited by tolkien; 11 February 2015 at 22:53.
Old 12 February 2015, 06:51   #50
hukka
Wolf-bear thing

Even more fixing, this should fix the remaining problems with launching/quitting the game from Workbench.

(Fixed stack corruption with the level editor that caused instability with quitting; reworked sample loader routine to actually load the files properly and not cause memory corruption.)

Download
Old 14 February 2015, 01:24   #51
john1979

Hopelessly stuck on level 4-4. Anyone beaten this level?

There were some real nasties 3-5 onwards too. But trial and error got me through.
Old 14 February 2015, 05:18   #52
Cobe

Is there a chance to give us an quit option to select from game or assign Esc to some button(perhaps Play) on CD32 joypad so we could also without keyboard be able to save savegame file to NVRAM after quiting the game?
Guess the multitasking version isn't an option?
HD1.1 works with cd32 settings in winuae. Whole game copied to ram: first.
savegame file is always 100 bytes?

thanks

Or maybe it's easier to you just to Button2, thats Blue on CD32 pad.

Last edited by Cobe; 14 February 2015 at 05:46.
Old 14 February 2015, 05:59   #53
Nekoniaow
Banned

Just downloaded the game and played it for a few minutes and it's really nicely done and fun to play! I played it on an emulated A500 and was happy to see it running very smoothly despite the fact that you tested it on a much more powerful machine.

Sure it's not action packed but that's clearly the style of this era. I haven't played the original so I can't really judge the quality of the conversion but it definitely gives this 80s NES vibe!

Returning to my web browser after playing it for a few minutes I found myself analyzing everything on the screen as if it was a block of ice I had to push or melt away.

It is a really nice effort, I hope you will continue!

(And why not go for an official license next time? If they accept, the rights owner will likely not ask for an enormous price (if they ask anything) given the target market and you might be able to make it. I would pay 5$ without hesitation for a nicely converted official game.)
Old 15 February 2015, 05:40   #54
hukka
Wolf-bear thing

Floppy disk

Quote:
Originally Posted by john1979 View Post
Hopelessly stuck on level 4-4. Anyone beaten this level?
Hint: arrange two ice cubes vertically under the single wall tile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobe View Post
Is there a chance to give us an quit option to select from game or assign Esc to some button(perhaps Play) on CD32 joypad so we could also without keyboard be able to save savegame file to NVRAM after quiting the game?
savegame file is always 100 bytes?
Sure, I'll add a quit option to the title menu. And yes, the save file is a fixed size. EDIT: here's a new executableĘto try: it should quit the game by pressing Fire2 in the title menu.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nekoniaow View Post
Just downloaded the game and played it for a few minutes and it's really nicely done and fun to play! I played it on an emulated A500 and was happy to see it running very smoothly despite the fact that you tested it on a much more powerful machine.
Thanks! I did of course also test the game on a real A500 Next time I'll probably make something original instead of a conversion - this game was a conversion because a) I already knew the original, having played it through and having already done a lot of reverse engineering of the game in order to write a level editor for it, b) when I started I didn't have much experience at all, so a simplistic game like this seemed like a good choice for learning purposes.

Last edited by hukka; 15 February 2015 at 06:27. Reason: Posted executable
Old 16 February 2015, 21:25   #55
emuola
Registered Whdload user

Any news on the whdload version? That would be the ultimate awesomeness hukka
Old 16 February 2015, 21:40   #56
hukka
Wolf-bear thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by emuola View Post
Any news on the whdload version? That would be the ultimate awesomeness hukka
Now that the latest version of the game works fine from HD as is (hopefully!), I have trouble motivating myself into learning how to produce a WHDLoad version, unfortunately. If anyone else feels it's worth the trouble, I'll be happy to give access to the sources etc.
Old 16 February 2015, 22:37   #57
Cobe

Quote:
Originally Posted by hukka View Post
Sure, I'll add a quit option to the title menu. And yes, the save file is a fixed size. EDIT: here's a new executableĘto try: it should quit the game by pressing Fire2 in the title menu.
Wow Hukka, thanks a lot for such a fast response. I checked quickly, that's it, I guess will have it soon on cd32.co.uk
Old 17 February 2015, 21:57   #58
john1979

Quote:
Originally Posted by hukka View Post
Hint: arrange two ice cubes vertically under the single wall tile.
Thanks cracked it! Although now I find there are much harder levels later on. Like 4-6 for example

This is the most use my Amiga 600 has got in ages. Love puzzle games like this.
Old 17 February 2015, 23:36   #59
tolkien
AmigaMan

I am playing it in my a1200 and winuae. Really enjoyable game!
Old 17 February 2015, 23:41   #60
Akira

I gave this a try yesterday, such a fun game! Love the presentation!
PLease, please make more games ,we need more people like you
AdSense AdSense