English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 27 January 2015, 11:04   #1
earok

Need advice re: Official, boxed conversion to CD32

Hi all,

You read it here first!

I've been contacted by the IP holder of a classic Amiga game, I'm not at liberty to say which company or game yet, but it is:

- Very well received with a score of around 8 on Lemon Amiga and the majority of magazine scores above 90%
- Works on the CD32 fine without cracks or HD loaders
- Doesn't require mouse, keyboard and doesn't save to disk

They're interested in doing a small run of an official conversion to CD32, boxed with a printed CDs and physical manuals. The game itself will probably be the same but we may perhaps add a CDXL video or two.

What they're not sure of yet is how many they'd be able to sell, given the small number of CD32 users - anyone have any clue how many? They were thinking in the region of 250 but I thought that might be a bit too optimistic (though maybe there's a few collectors that would buy it even if they're not actively using their CD32).

Last edited by earok; 27 January 2015 at 11:10.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 27 January 2015, 11:08   #2
OlafSch

Quote:
Originally Posted by earok View Post
Hi all,

You read it here first!

I've been contacted by the IP holder of a classic Amiga game, I'm not at liberty to say which company or game yet, but it is:

- Very well received with a score of around 8 on Lemon Amiga and the majority of magazine scores above 90%
- Works on the CD32 fine without cracks or HD loaders
- Doesn't require mouse, keyboard and doesn't save to disk

They're interested in doing a small run of an official conversion to CD32, boxed with a printed CDs and physical manuals. The game itself will probably be the same but we may perhaps add a CDXL video or two.

What they're not sure of yet is how many they'd be able to sell, given the small number of CD32 users - anyone have any clue how many? They were thinking in the region of 250 but I thought that might be a bit too optimistic (though maybe there's a few collectors that would buy it even if they're not actively using their CD32).
is CD32-Emu not integrated in WinUAE?
Old 27 January 2015, 11:18   #3
earok

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlafSch View Post
is CD32-Emu not integrated in WinUAE?
WinUAE certainly works great for emulating CD32 games, including from the original discs. In any case I'm not sure if there'd be anyone who would buy a "new" CD32 game just to play it in an emulator as opposed to the original console, but if there is I'd love to find out.
Old 27 January 2015, 11:55   #4
mjnurney

interesting ...but you'll get more interest if we knew the game name :-)
Old 27 January 2015, 12:12   #5
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Unless you add new content I imagine your sales will be poor.

Amiga gamers will have already played the game and if the game had a high score you can bet it will be on one of the "free" unofficial CD32 compilations floating around

To get sales, for a previously published game, it is my opinion that you would need to add content. New levels and maybe CDDA music (perhaps done by the original musician).

Not sure CDXL videos would grab anyone's imagination?

If they wanted to know about sales before committing time and funds do a Kickstarter (or equivalent)

Last edited by alexh; 27 January 2015 at 12:20.
Old 27 January 2015, 12:48   #6
OlafSch

Quote:
Originally Posted by earok View Post
WinUAE certainly works great for emulating CD32 games, including from the original discs. In any case I'm not sure if there'd be anyone who would buy a "new" CD32 game just to play it in an emulator as opposed to the original console, but if there is I'd love to find out.
as alexh said if it is not adding anything new you can only attract collectors and CD32 owners (what is limiting the base). Also if it is available for WHDLoad putting it on CD does not really add comfort. If possible it should be a somehow "enhanced version" with new content not available before. That would certainly create more interest.
Old 27 January 2015, 13:47   #7
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL Send a message via Skype™ to FOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlafSch View Post
as alexh said if it is not adding anything new you can only attract collectors and CD32 owners (what is limiting the base). Also if it is available for WHDLoad putting it on CD does not really add comfort. If possible it should be a somehow "enhanced version" with new content not available before. That would certainly create more interest.
Not entirely true, what about A1200 users with CD-ROM that can run CD32 Games, .
Old 27 January 2015, 13:58   #8
DDNI
Targ Explorer

Send a message via ICQ to DDNI Send a message via MSN to DDNI
This interests me. I think that the Kickstarter option is the way forward.
Old 27 January 2015, 14:08   #9
Amigajay
醉拳

Interested of course, but again as has been said, depends on the game in question! And the ability to save (if needed) quality of port (don't want flashing screens along the way!)
Old 27 January 2015, 14:35   #10
Gzegzolka

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
Unless you add new content I imagine your sales will be poor.

Amiga gamers will have already played the game and if the game had a high score you can bet it will be on one of the "free" unofficial CD32 compilations floating around

To get sales, for a previously published game, it is my opinion that you would need to add content. New levels and maybe CDDA music (perhaps done by the original musician).

Not sure CDXL videos would grab anyone's imagination?

If they wanted to know about sales before committing time and funds do a Kickstarter (or equivalent)
Well, sorry but Alexh is much right in this topic, most cd32 games are like "copy all data from floppy on cd" and maybe add pad support/cd audio tracks or not (with "not" was the most popular option in 94's). That's not enough for someone who already have floppy version with same content (and whd version nowdays).
If game would be heavy fixed to use cd32 hardware that would be other story, even if there isn't much people who own real cd32 - You can use winuae and disk image (is it possible to boot real cd in emulated cd32?).
I might be little freak, cause I love to play amiga games with pad support and cd tracks - I would be even interested in paying for new/remastered game.

If I have to describe perfect cd32 game:
- more content - like more levels made only for cd version (Oscar wasn't perfect but have it, Brian the lion/Zool2 do it even better)
- both sound effects and cd music, maybe more voice acting (that's what akiko could do - Bubba'n'Stix do that)
- pad support - it's more comfortable (I was never good in Fight'n'Spirit but with pad I find to more enjoy it)
- additional intro/outro/cut-scenes between levels - there's lot of space on cd to fill with something (I only hope it won't be home-made quality 3d animations - on other hand Immposible Mission, Super Stardust is best example of high quality)
- extra stuff, like game manual in menu, passoword system, test menu for music, in-game gallery with design concept-art, promotional-art, early development shoots and information about game or "how to play" (for example Chaos Engine, Ulitimate Body Blows)
Old 27 January 2015, 14:45   #11
edd_jedi

You need to be realistic guys, nobody is going to create extra levels or re-write the music to sell <250 copies. Your only hope of new content is to find something previously unreleased, I guess it wouldn't hurt to ask this company if they had an old unreleased CD-32 game kicking around.

Personally I don't have a CD-32 (I do have an A4000 with CD-ROM though) but I would buy anything 'new' released just to support the cause, as long as it was a good game!
Old 27 January 2015, 14:57   #12
Gzegzolka

Something inside of me told me that it won't be another shmup-for-dreamcast quality level, but I'm interested.
Old 27 January 2015, 18:11   #13
Nobby_UK

315 registered CD32s according to http://amigamap.com/

There maybe double/treble that about
but who would spend hard earned ?

I have a CD32 and would not.
Old 27 January 2015, 18:26   #14
Amigajay
醉拳

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobby_UK View Post
315 registered CD32s according to http://amigamap.com/

There maybe double/treble that about
but who would spend hard earned ?

I have a CD32 and would not.
Internet registered maps have no relation to how many people may buy a game.

Again if the price and game are right then it may well sell enough.

Just look at that Amiga book on Kickstarter, 100,000 pre-orders, Amiga fans are thirsty for some Amiga love! People come out of the woodwork when its something interesting.

If it was say Putty Squad professionally boxed and manual for 25 then it would be yes, so we need more details first!
Old 27 January 2015, 20:49   #15
Matt_H

I, for one, greatly appreciate physical copies of games. However, as others have pointed out, this sounds like a shovelware port of the floppy version, and the CD32 already has a lot of those. But depending on the game, I *could* be interested. If some CDXL and CDDA were added, then I would *probably* be interested.
Old 27 January 2015, 22:27   #16
BigFan

So this is a game previously released for A500 ?
Or A1200 yet?
Got good reviews and has been played by almost everyone who felt attracted ?

Now the 2 discs content will be burned on cd, printed and sold for what price? 49,- Dollars because it is now "Limited Special Edition"?

Vague informations, no sorry, i can do that myself. Canon is doing a fine job in cd-printing.

Sounds like todays business is always to cash twice.
Old 27 January 2015, 23:33   #17
Adrian Browne
Jackie Chan

Depends what game it is. Also a little something extra. New contenr.
Perhaps adding content and doing an ios/android port could recoup costs.
Old 28 January 2015, 15:56   #18
Reido

Interested sure, pending more info. I do like a good physical!
Old 28 January 2015, 23:28   #19
Adrian Browne
Jackie Chan

So, what game is it?
AdSense AdSense