English Amiga Board Amiga Lore

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

View Poll Results: What is the Amigas BEST 3D FPS Game?
Alien Breed 3D 28 21.37%
Alien Breed 3D II - The Killing Grounds 17 12.98%
Breathless 15 11.45%
Fears 4 3.05%
Genetic Species 23 17.56%
Gloom Deluxe 21 16.03%
Gloom Special Edition 97 1 0.76%
Nemac IV 5 3.82%
Citadel 2 1.53%
Death Mask 4 3.05%
Testament 1 0.76%
Behind the Iron Gate 0 0%
Other - Please Specify 10 7.63%
Voters: 131. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11 December 2002, 19:01   #21
Kodoichi
Banned

Location: I'm the smiling face on your TV, I exploit you still you love me
Trick Or Treat

the PD game.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 11 December 2002, 19:09   #22
Drake1009

Vote for fears?
I didn't even vote since I can't run any of them on my Amiga.
Old 11 December 2002, 19:13   #23
BippyM
Global Moderator

CItadel is also an FPS game (From what i saw!) anyway I voted Breathless, it was the first good looking FPS I played on Amiga that was playable on a bog standard 1200.
Old 11 December 2002, 19:41   #24
Drake1009

Well then I went ahead and voted for fears only fearing that Steve might actually get medival on someone's ass in here. Not that likely though, but still.
Old 11 December 2002, 20:04   #25
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

I have only played 2 FPSs on Amiga: Death Mask, which sucks bad, and Behind the Iron Gate, which is rather enjoyable for a while.

Oh, and Robocop 3 too, if you consider it a FPS...

So, my vote goes for Robocop 3. And its not a virtua cop clone
Old 11 December 2002, 20:35   #26
Steve
FreelanceAndroidDeveloper

Eek Noooooooooooooooooo

How can someone like this terrible game!!
Even worse how come someone admit to it!!
I truly dread the day I'm bored enough to try that again!

Quote:
Originally posted by Drake1009
Well then I went ahead and voted for fears only fearing that Steve might actually get medival on someone's ass in here. Not that likely though, but still.

You never know. I like getting all medievil.
I like asses as well. No hang on. Forget that last bit.
So what do you like about Fears?

Last edited by Steve; 11 December 2002 at 20:44.
Old 11 December 2002, 20:35   #27
Mr Creosote
Evil Mastermind

Quote:
Originally posted by Ian

I find it funny that anyone likes any Doom clone. (PERIOD) They all suck. The only good Doom clone is one that doesn't work.
You summed it up perfectly I can't think of a less interesting genre :P
Old 11 December 2002, 21:14   #28
Drake1009

Well what I liked about Fears the most would be the fact that it annoyed you that one had already voted for it.

Well that and the fact that most Amiga doom clones I've seen sucked so I might as well vote for one which truly sucked instead of one which moderately sucked.

Might as well do it right, right?
Old 12 December 2002, 11:36   #29
manicx

Quote:
Originally posted by fiath
Why is that? Because you can't move up/down? (Doom style only only one y-coord) ?

If so, then there is another, in Trapped you can move up/down AFAIR...
I forgot this one. Thanks...
Old 12 December 2002, 13:39   #30
blackcornflake

For me, Gloom, or Gloom Deluxe in this case, is the best. It adds improved graphics to an already great original version. It matters not if the graphics (in either version) may not match those of fps games with far higher system requirements, or that it lacks 'proper' 3D. The thing is just really fun to play.

All due to the straightforward gameplay, wherein you charge around wasting anything that moves. No ammo supply to worry about, no faffing with weapons or objects and nothing even resembling a boring labyrinth to traipse round. Secret goodies, disgusting sound effects, bad guys that occasionally make you jump, good difficulty curve, consistent (i.e. fair) play and a sense of humour. All excellent things, which none of the other games in the poll can match fully. Especially Fears.

Haven't played Special Edition 97.
Old 12 December 2002, 14:33   #31
Guede

I had to vote other because all the games listed came out after I had stopped using computers. The only FPS games that I had played on my old Amiga were Hostages and Robocop 3. Between these two my vote would have to go with Hostages. I had a ball playing that game and I still have a bash at it every now and then with UAE.
Old 12 December 2002, 18:40   #32
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

I did

Quote:
Originally posted by Steve
Testament - DOH!!
Quake - PC Port (Not proper Amiga FPS game)
Doom - PC Port (Not proper Amiga FPS game)
Heretic - PC Port (Not proper Amiga FPS game)
Hexen - PC Port (Not proper Amiga FPS game)
Death Mask - Not a proper FPS. Besides it's shit. If you had to include this you'd have to include stuff like Alcatraz which has a similar level to Death Mask. I considered it for about half a second. Does anyone else think Death Mask should of been in the poll?

Right someone own up. Who voted for Fears?
For the technology of the time, Fears was in a different league to AB3D, sure it got surpassed, but AB3D and Fears were the first couple to be released.

For the time, it was ok.
Old 12 December 2002, 18:45   #33
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Some confusion here

On what constitutes a FPS.

Just because Robocop 3 uses plain polygons instead of vectored bitmaps doesn't detract from the fact that its a FPS.

FPS means FIRST PERSON SHOOTER, i.e. the perspective you see is what you would see if you were in that environment.

The graphical representation is utterly irrelevant, and from a gaming viewpoint, the Robocop 3 engine has more varied scope than the Doom engine could possibly hope to have.

FPS is defined by how you are represented in the game, christ, even 3D Pacman on the BBC Model B could be considered FPS.
Old 12 December 2002, 19:46   #34
kriz

Have to go for Genetic Species, as this game got a lot of original game play. You can "take over" enemies, actually becoming them (dont remember what they called it, but its really cool, nice effect too).

The gfx and gameplay is also very good, absolutely one of my favourite fps for the ami
Old 12 December 2002, 20:06   #35
Steve

Question Re: I did

Quote:
Originally posted by Galahad/FLT
For the technology of the time, Fears was in a different league to AB3D, sure it got surpassed, but AB3D and Fears were the first couple to be released.

For the time, it was ok.
Sorry Galahad but I don't agree at all. It's pants now and it was pants when it was first released. Fears was released in late 1995 and Gloom had already come out. I'd already played Gloom a lot by the time I played Fears so I compared the two and liked Gloom much better than Fears. I'm not comparing the games graphically. I'm saying Fears was insuperior gameplay wise. Gloom had already been released before this came out and it's miles ahead of Fears in terms of both graphics and playability. I just don't think Fears is fun to play. It's just very boring. A lot of my Amiga friends who played it back in 1995 also couldn't stand the game. What do you mean by in a different league to AB3D? In what way?
Old 12 December 2002, 20:17   #36
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Different league....

as in better!

This is all about opinions. You don`t like Fears, I do, I don`t like AB3D or AB3D II, you obviously do.

Just because you shout that you don`t like something only makes it true for you.

I like Fears, you don't. Case closed.
Old 12 December 2002, 20:32   #37
Djay
breakpointUK.com

Send a message via MSN to Djay
i never got into Amiga doom clones.. having played Doom via a network nothing on the Amiga worked as well... i did however get a hold of all the doom clones... manily to prove that the Amiga could do it my mates.... the only game i played in the genre was Deathmask as it worked quite well... but hey i might have another look now!!!!
Old 12 December 2002, 20:35   #38
Steve

Big grin Re: Some confusion here

Quote:
On what constitutes a FPS.

Just because Robocop 3 uses plain polygons instead of vectored bitmaps doesn't detract from the fact that its a FPS.
That's not the reason I don't class it as a FPS. The reason Robocop 3 isn't classed as an Amiga FPS game is because it doesn't contain the FPS ingrediants like collecting new weapons, collecting keys to open doors and solving puzzles etc. If you compare it to Doom and something like Virtua Cop it has much more in common with Virtua Cop and the House of the Dead trilogy where it's an out an out shoot-fest not a shoot/explore game which is what makes an FPS. Well that's how I see it anyway. Don't get me wrong I think Robocop 3 is a great game. It's just not what I'd call a First Person Shooter. I think Gloom is generally regarded on the Amiga as the first FPS game.

Quote:

FPS means FIRST PERSON SHOOTER, i.e. the perspective you see is what you would see if you were in that environment.
Yup. I know this already.

Quote:

The graphical representation is utterly irrelevant, and from a gaming viewpoint, the Robocop 3 engine has more varied scope than the Doom engine could possibly hope to have.

FPS is defined by how you are represented in the game, christ, even 3D Pacman on the BBC Model B could be considered FPS.
I don't know about that. Don't forget the "Shooter" part of FPS. Just because a game is from a First person View does that make it an FPS game? I don't think so. Is Eye of the Beholder or Dungeon Master an FPS game? I don't think so. Anyway I don't want to get too bogged down in a FPS argument as it's a bit geeky for my liking.

Last edited by Steve; 13 December 2002 at 20:00.
Old 12 December 2002, 20:42   #39
Steve

Re: Different league....

Quote:
as in better!

This is all about opinions. You don`t like Fears, I do, I don`t like AB3D or AB3D II, you obviously do.

Just because you shout that you don`t like something only makes it true for you.

I like Fears, you don't. Case closed.
Amiga Format gave Fears 92% so it can't be all that bad. I don't hate it with a passion. I've not played past the first level. I just got bored. I'll stick with Genetic Species thank you very much. What makes that such a great game is as kriz says it introduced something which was unique to a FPS game. The ability to jump into the enemies bodies and use their weapons. It makes the game so much fun to play. On top of that are the fantastic graphics and sound and of course probably the best intro I've ever seen in an Amiga game. A movie quality space battle with breathtaking rendered graphics. It's simply awesome.

Last edited by Steve; 13 December 2002 at 00:04.
Old 12 December 2002, 20:48   #40
Syko
Now got GSX750F :))

Resolution 101 - FPS, 3D, riding around in an armoured/armed skimmer. Lots of fun, but still voted for Gloom Deluxe. The only Amiga game my PC owning mate ever got into...
AdSense AdSense