English Amiga Board Amiga Lore

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 13 January 2015, 12:57   #1
steviebwoy

CD32 Newbie Questions

Hi all,

Total CD32 newbie here, in fact Iíve not actually even bought one yet! I used to have an A1200 back in the day (I think itís still in my fatherís attic actually), but Iím intrigued by the prospect of having a CD32 under my TV to be able to dip in and out of my youth.

The trouble is, Iíve really no idea how to get to what Iím after Ė essentially I want to be able to play old Amiga games quickly from either bootleg CDs or USB images. Is this possible to do with a CD32?

One of the main games Iíd be playing is Sensible World of Soccer, which I believe has been converted into a CD-R compilation by the Unofficial CD32 Ports guys. The trouble is, how would I save my career etc?

Presumably I can plug a keyboard and mouse into the CD32 somehow as well, so that I can play things like Settlers, Lemmings etc.?

Any help or guidance would be gratefully received, and sorry for all the newbie questions!

Cheers
steve
AdSense AdSense  
Old 13 January 2015, 14:15   #2
Adrian Browne
Jackie Chan

Yes a keyboard and mouse can be plugged. If memory serves, the cd32 has some internal storage space for save games.
The third post in this thread links to a method for making your own cd32 cd's.
http://www.amiga.org/forums/showthread.php?t=52840

Apparently there is a special version of whdload for cd 32's, as the cd32 is limited to 2 megabyte of ram. There may be some homebrew memory add-ons for all I know, though. I believe a cf/hardrive can be used on a cd32. Its an sdcard modified to act as an amiga hardrive; whdload and thousands of amiga games are already preset on there. You just click to play. You can buy them on e-bay.

Btw, the cd32 pads are rubbish, the d-pad will break with little usage. I suggest you get a competition pro or some other joypad. Amigakit sells some, I believe.

Last edited by Adrian Browne; 13 January 2015 at 14:26.
Old 13 January 2015, 16:07   #3
steviebwoy

Thanks Adrian, I've had a quick look at a CF Hard Drive but they only seem to be available for A1200s. Is this the case? Are you able to link me up?

I'm still a bit concerned about saved game storage as I've heard that there's a tiny amount of space available on the CD32. Not sure whether it's possible to save to the CF or not. Hmm..
Old 13 January 2015, 19:14   #4
Amigajay
醉拳

Yes the only way to add hdd or cf ide, is either the SX1 expansion which go for £150-£200 on ebay or its more expensive brother the SX32 which go upwards of £400.
There is hope though, if you check the hardware section, a homemade CD32 expansion module is in dev, no release date yet though and price is around £120.
Old 13 January 2015, 19:21   #5
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian Browne View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by steviebwoy View Post
One of the main games Iíd be playing is Sensible World of Soccer, which I believe has been converted into a CD-R compilation by the Unofficial CD32 Ports guys. The trouble is, how would I save my career etc?
If memory serves, the cd32 has some internal storage space for save games.
I am 99.99% certain that the WHDload slave of SWOS (done by Galahad) will not save to the CD32 nvram.

So you will not be able to save your career.
Old 13 January 2015, 19:24   #6
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amigajay View Post
the only way to add hdd or cf ide, is either the SX1 or SX32
SX32-PRO (which is also an 030 accelerator.)
SX32
SX32 MK-II
SX-1
Promodule

Last edited by alexh; 13 January 2015 at 19:29.
Old 13 January 2015, 19:26   #7
gazj82

There is also a floppy drive expansion, which means you can then save games, but Amiga floppies seem to be extremely unreliable now at least in my experience.

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 13 January 2015, 19:27   #8
Adrian Browne
Jackie Chan

Yup, I'm no expert. What amigajay says is correct. Ive heard the cd32 expansion thingies are damn pricey. I guess burning your own cdr's might be a better option.

I had a cd32 years ago when it first came out. Nice console but most, if not all the games can be played on an a1200. A cd32 is an a1200 at heart. Have you considered an amiga 1200? There is a lot of hardware add-ons still being made for this machine to this day. Check amigakit.co.uk.

Still if you can get a Cd32 cheap...
Old 14 January 2015, 03:26   #9
earok

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
I am 99.99% certain that the WHDload slave of SWOS (done by Galahad) will not save to the CD32 nvram.

So you will not be able to save your career.
We actually investigated if we could get it to save to NVRAM (several of our releases now support this even when the original game did not) but a SWOS career save, if I recall correctly was usually above 40kb in size, way too large to fit in the 1kb NVRam even when compressed. Floppy disk drive add-on might be the only possibility.

We're actually using an old JST HD loader by JOTD, the WHDLoad version won't fit in the CD32's limited RAM.
Old 14 January 2015, 13:26   #10
Reido

I got a CD32 not too long ago having never had one before. Most (all?) the games are available in iso format to burn to CD without much hassle and there's good people behind the scenes doing stuff (like Earok, and the Gloom Total Conversion guys), and as mentioned before there's the potential for new hardware. I get a kick out of playing some of the games, espcially the ones with CD32 specific features (CD music etc), and in tandem with my A1200 I feel I have the perfect set up for me anyway. If I didn't have the A1200 I'd feel I was missing out, but to each their own, there's enough CD32 games to keep a lot of people happy!
Old 14 January 2015, 13:36   #11
steviebwoy

Yeah, I'd be happy to run off ISOs if I was able to save my game (SWOS etc). That's a real sticking point for me and I can't really justify spending upwards of £150 just to be able to save a game..

I'm pretty sure I've still got my A1200 at my father's house, but I was really trying to get a machine that would be compact and have an "instant action" feel to it, which I don't think I'd get from having my A1200 set up in my lounge.
Old 14 January 2015, 22:58   #12
Reido

Dig out the A1200 and pimp that sucka!

Don't know if you're aware or not but unofficial updates for SWOS 96/97 come out every year or so, most recently the 2013/14 season!
http://synchronatedswos.blogspot.co....ersion-of.html

Last edited by Reido; 15 January 2015 at 11:00. Reason: SWOS
Old 14 January 2015, 23:40   #13
Adrian Browne
Jackie Chan

It's true. I'm pimping my a1200 atm, so to speak. Its not compact but it does have lots of hardware add-ons available for it. You will need some extra ram in it to run whdload, but maybe your old a1200 already has an accellerator in it?

You can even use cdtv pads wirelessly via a wireless device. I'm deffo getting one in good time. An indivision allows you to display high res or hd on an lcd telly.
I can't imagine how good miggy games must look with that device.
You can add a cd drive too and even get limited internet browsing up and running.
Old 15 January 2015, 14:57   #14
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
I'm pretty sure I've still got my A1200 at my father's house
Sell/swap your A1200 for an A600 + Kipper2k 4MB Fastmem board?

The form factor is very small. Similar to CD32.

You could set it up to boot straight into TinyLoader and select all games from HD (or compact flash drive)
Old 16 January 2015, 07:53   #15
Hewitson

Quote:
I'm pretty sure I've still got my A1200 at my father's house, but I was really trying to get a machine that would be compact and have an "instant action" feel to it, which I don't think I'd get from having my A1200 set up in my lounge.
A1200 is a pretty compact machine. I wouldn't call having to double click on a game "non-instant action". You'd be playing far quicker than you would be on a modern console and you wouldn't have to wait for loading.
Old 19 January 2015, 10:10   #16
steviebwoy

Hm, okay. So what would I have to spend to turn my regular yellowing A1200 into a powerhouse capable of running thousands of wonderful games? I've used loads of emulators over the years, but it didn't dawn on me to actually use my old Amiga to play games!
Old 19 January 2015, 14:41   #17
Adrian Browne
Jackie Chan

Amigakit.co.uk has everything you could ever want for an Amiga. Though apparently just some fast ram will allow you to run whdload just fine. Its not too pricey either.

Id recommend an aca 1233 accelerator. Alot of people round here have one. It will speed up you a1200 and easily allow you to play whdload.

I take it your a1200 is a basic 2 megabyte, 020 machine?

Recently I bought an aca 1233 and an easynet networking card, for wireless internet access.
Next on my list is an indivision aga, a cd drive and a cdtv pad with wireless device.
AdSense AdSense