English Amiga Board Amiga Lore

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 08 January 2015, 21:53   #1
Leandro Jardim

My Workbench gets slow with SaferPatches

I have installed http://aminet.net/package/dev/debug/TRSaferPtch in my WinUAE AmigaOS 3.9 image, as I see it installed in many startup-sequences around the web, and my Workbench gets significantly less responsive than when I use http://aminet.net/package/util/wb/pchctl12, and I see many random lock-ups, that are very hard to track down but I think are related to the patch.

Has anyone seen the same issues with this patch on WinUAE or his Amiga? I think it unbelievable that anyone have this issue since there are so many people with this patch installed in their startup-sequences...

I would like to help Toni or anyone to track down what is causing that, and fix SaferPatches or then modify WinUAE to handle the adverse collateral effects of this patch like a true Amiga (not that I think it is a WinUAE bug...).

EDIT: Probably is too hard to track down the issue, and debug instruction by instruction of the patch (!!!), anyway I think would be grateful to see if I am not the only that cant use this patch.

Last edited by Leandro Jardim; 08 January 2015 at 22:04.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 08 January 2015, 22:09   #2
PeterK

I'm using TRSaferPatches on my WinUAE OS 3.9 system for many years already without any problems. The only conflict that I know is caused by AfA_OS. AfA needs PatchControl instead (read the docs).

SetPatch .....

SaferPatches >NIL: INSTALL REMEMBER

Last edited by PeterK; 08 January 2015 at 22:39.
Old 08 January 2015, 22:19   #3
Leandro Jardim

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterK View Post
I'm using TRSaferPatches on my WinUAE OS 3.9 system for many years already without any problems. The only conflict that I know is caused by AfA_OS. AfA meeds PatchControl instead (read the docs).

SetPatch .....

SaferPatches >NIL: INSTALL REMEMBER
Thanks PeterK, but I am not using AfA_OS yet. Has anyone more something to say about this patch? I would like to see if someone has any issues with it (I only want to be sure its not something wrong I did).

The worst thing that happens with my hd image, even after I have installed everything again, is that AmigaOS seems to lock-up, but any MODs playing in the background with DOpus, continues playing normally like it wasnt a real lock-up, and I think that very strange, because seems that WinUAE display refresh is disabled, or then, that only the input.library task is "freezed".

Last edited by Leandro Jardim; 08 January 2015 at 22:32.
Old 08 January 2015, 22:40   #4
PeterK

Are you using the original OS 3.9 exec.library and dos.library or any replacements?

Update:
Hmm, AfA_OS history says that SaferPatches should work since AfA 3.96.

Last edited by PeterK; 08 January 2015 at 22:57.
Old 08 January 2015, 23:01   #5
Leandro Jardim

I have installed the original BoingBag 3&4, but I commented all the startup-sequence lines that load the patch replacements, so I am using only the originals. The only patch that did remain is TRSaferPatches. But that I commented one hour ago, and I was playing a MOD with DOpus and accessing the Internet with IBrowse and YAM. Hopefully it didnt lock-up.

EDIT: Hmm, I am using the BoingBag 2 AmigaOS ROM Update, and I know it has an updated exec.library, may it just be the cause?

Last edited by Leandro Jardim; 08 January 2015 at 23:57.
Old 08 January 2015, 23:48   #6
Leandro Jardim

Oh no, the issue persists... I will try to disable BB2 ROM Update as last resort...
Old 11 January 2015, 06:12   #7
Leandro Jardim

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterK View Post
I'm using TRSaferPatches on my WinUAE OS 3.9 system for many years already without any problems.
For many years without problems!? Can you say which version do you use all these years, please, I want to grab a copy...
Old 11 January 2015, 07:06   #8
PeterK

AmigaOS 3.9 + BB1 + BB2, of course, using Devs:AmigaOS ROM Update
SaferPatches 2.12 http://aminet.net/package/dev/debug/TRSaferPtch

WinUAE 3.0.0 68020 + 68881, AGA + P96, Kick 4068, 2MB ChipMem, 128 MB Z3, Windows FAT32 FS, 32 MB VRam, no Filter
Old 13 January 2015, 08:35   #9
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Run some task/process viewer that shows used CPU time. Does some task/process use all the CPU time when it runs slowly? Which one? More than one? If CPU time looks ok, then it is most likely some interrupt routine that takes far too much time.
AdSense AdSense