English Amiga Board


Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

 
 
Thread Tools
Old 24 December 2014, 16:45   #1
nittamituaki
Cd32+Fdd User (CFU)

nittamituaki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Japan
Posts: 337
FPS game for 2014 xmas: "Did IT come from the desert?"

Ants,ants,ants you say! ...Well,yes.
At last I can present a christmas gift,too.
I am so glad that I could reach this wonderful day.
Have a happy holiday and use this thread for exchange your strategy information, etc.
(I won't post details of strategy of this game for a while at least.)

Title: "Did IT come from the desert?"

Title screen and comments:


Please don't be disappointed to hear that Cinemaware couldn't present a holiday event,
the release of "It came from desert: Limited edition" for Mega Drive.
I had assumed what this hell would be going
from July 2014 (yes, the moment when Cinemaware announced that release first!),
and I had created this MOD from this summer 2014.

If you are Amiga or CD32+FDD users, you can enjoy this xmas gift from me instead.

This MOD is just unofficial port from MD version with arrangement as FPS game.
It would be much harder than MD version, which had been said that it was difficult,
however, you would have been absorbed in this FPS version when you realized it!

Screenshots:


Gameplay video:
[ Show youtube player ]

How to install:
This game is one of the Gloom3.
1. Copy "comedesert" folder to your hard disk.
2. Then execute following command,
Assign desert: ***:comedesert (*** is your hard disk device name.)
3. Doubleclick "mainprg" icon. The game will be loaded. ( It shows "nittamituaki's Gloom Mods screen". )

ADF version is also available:
It's here: Gloom MODs information page
http://nitta.sakura.ne.jp/gloom-mod/...formation.html

Minimum requirements:
020, 1.8MB chip RAM (I tested all levels on my standard CD32 + analogic FDD.)

More details:
"Did IT come from desert?" main page
http://nitta.sakura.ne.jp/gloom-mod/...sert.main.html

You can use following thread to discuss or question for general about Gloom mods.
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=75917

Last words (as this post):
My delightful hobby has started since I contacted with Czeslaw Mnich.
Robert,one of his friends wrote some great utilities for new picture files for Gloom.
I shall say thanks to them again.

Merry christmas! and good night...

Last edited by nittamituaki; 26 December 2015 at 03:20. Reason: changed URL of image.
nittamituaki is offline  
AdSense AdSense  
Old 24 December 2014, 16:57   #2
s2325
Zone Friend

s2325's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Gargore
Age: 37
Posts: 17,816
I just saw this on youtube, nice work
s2325 is offline  
Old 24 December 2014, 20:53   #3
earok
Moderator

 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Auckland
Posts: 1,550
Wow that looks amazing :O fantastic work!
earok is offline  
Old 24 December 2014, 21:35   #4
earok
Moderator

 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Auckland
Posts: 1,550
Just gave it a quick test, it's now in the CD32 "Christmas" compilation I've put together (will release that in the next 12 hours or so) and seems to work well.

Just one request if you're planning to do any updates - any chance for two player starting positions? Giant ant killing seems like the kind of thing that would be awesome in co-op mode
earok is offline  
Old 25 December 2014, 01:08   #5
nittamituaki
Cd32+Fdd User (CFU)

nittamituaki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Japan
Posts: 337
Good morning!

Quote:
Originally Posted by earok View Post
Just one request if you're planning to do any updates - any chance for two player starting positions? Giant ant killing seems like the kind of thing that would be awesome in co-op mode
Sorry, I never add 2 players co-op mode due to 3 reasons.
1. Nowadays where are pairs want to play gloom series as 2player mode?...(There is no one.)
2. We cannot make enemies tougher as 2 player mode. It causes 1 player mode much easily.
3. So I use a dummy file as objs/player. It makes the game slightly faster.


I will not update at this time. So you can focus on your planning mod.
I am looking forward to mods from others.
nittamituaki is offline  
Old 25 December 2014, 02:32   #6
earok
Moderator

 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Auckland
Posts: 1,550
I understand where you're coming from, but I'll counter with these points

1. Some people still do play split screen multiplayer games, and I would probably play your mod split screen (I get friends around every so often for playing the Amiga and other old consoles/games).
2. Easier difficulty is balanced by several factors, such as - smaller screen size, slower frame rate, social distractions and skill unbalance (eg one player is always going to be worse than the other one).
3. The difficulty is less important in a co-operative game, since it's less about trying to beat a challenge and more about having fun with friends.


Going to attempt to finish the first level of the Alien Trilogy mod now, wish me luck.
earok is offline  
Old 25 December 2014, 03:12   #7
turrican3
Moon 1969 = amiga 1985

turrican3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: belgium
Age: 41
Posts: 3,157
Just incredible.
And it looks very good.
turrican3 is offline  
Old 26 December 2014, 05:06   #8
nittamituaki
Cd32+Fdd User (CFU)

nittamituaki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Japan
Posts: 337
Hi, It is reported that many crashes occur at 1px*1px full screen mode even if you use 030+ amiga or uae at high spec setting.
It is possible to play game at 1px*1px as my video,however,
you may have to change your screen smaller.
(To fix this issue, perhaps I will have to re-create all maps.
= almost impossible.)

I'm sooo sorry.

Please tell me if you find other glitches, crash accidents.

If you are native English speaker and you also find "strange English" in game or information page,
please tell me.
I cannot fix them immediately, however, I will fix them someday.
nittamituaki is offline  
Old 26 December 2014, 06:58   #9
earok
Moderator

 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Auckland
Posts: 1,550
Just tried it on a real CD32 (in my compilation) on 2x2 mode with Akiko C2P routine and no floor/ceiling, it works pretty well (very hard though!)

I'm about to email you with some suggested fixes to the script file.
earok is offline  
Old 26 December 2014, 08:20   #10
nittamituaki
Cd32+Fdd User (CFU)

nittamituaki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Japan
Posts: 337
@earok
Thank you! Perhaps yours would be far better.
But we cannot use "?" letter as messages in the script file.
(Maybe "?" becomes " ' " in the picture screen scene.)

And, let me a bit stupid question,please.
Do you mean that "Hill" is common, "Dale" is strange?

In Episode 2, I am happy if players imagine following place.


I would like to prefer "Dale", because I like this word due to personal reason.
Do you know "Sleeping Dale"?
https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...+sleeping+dale

My favorite stage of PLOK.

Last edited by nittamituaki; 26 December 2015 at 03:20. Reason: changed URL of image.
nittamituaki is offline  
Old 28 December 2014, 00:32   #11
Lonewolf10
AMOS Extensions Developer
Lonewolf10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: near Cambridge, UK
Age: 38
Posts: 1,917
Quote:
Originally Posted by nittamituaki View Post
If you are native English speaker and you also find "strange English" in game or information page,
please tell me.
"All our bases are belong to us..."


Sometimes 'strange English' can become legendary quotes The above quote is (assuming my memory doesn't fail me) from Zero Wing (1991).

Last edited by Lonewolf10; 28 December 2014 at 00:34. Reason: corrected quote source
Lonewolf10 is offline  
Old 28 December 2014, 00:41   #12
s2325
Zone Friend

s2325's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Gargore
Age: 37
Posts: 17,816
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_you...e_belong_to_us
s2325 is offline  
Old 28 December 2014, 02:00   #13
earok
Moderator

 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Auckland
Posts: 1,550
Ah, I didn't know about the problem with the question mark.

Dale is not a word that gets used in every day, New Zealand English (I actually had to look it up to see what you might have been referring to) though maybe it's more familiar to UK English speakers. I assumed you might have meant Hill because of the term "Ant Hill".

I think Canyon would be the best word to describe what you've drawn, though Valley may also work.
earok is offline  
Old 28 December 2014, 15:34   #14
nittamituaki
Cd32+Fdd User (CFU)

nittamituaki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Japan
Posts: 337
@beginners
Don't tell me you have already given up at Episode1 Level1 (E1L1) !!
Today I uploaded my walkthrough video for E1L1 strategy.

Normal Solution:
[ Show youtube player ]

Easy Solution (If this level have been boring you, try this one.):
[ Show youtube player ]

Last edited by nittamituaki; 28 December 2014 at 16:04.
nittamituaki is offline  
Old 28 December 2014, 16:01   #15
nittamituaki
Cd32+Fdd User (CFU)

nittamituaki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Japan
Posts: 337
@all

Thank you very much for playing.
I changed misc/script again( finally I selected "Canyon" word).
If you have not already completed even Episode1, I recommend you to replace it.

I fixed "we can go through inside invisible barrier" bugs,
which "Tsak"(EAB member) tell me at another thread.
At this time, I could fix only E1L3.
I know E3L2 & E4L1 & E5L1 also have the same bugs.
I will fix them later.

If you have already downloaded previous version pack,
please download this attachment (and overwrite them).
Thank you.

Last edited by nittamituaki; 05 January 2015 at 05:21. Reason: I removed this attachment. Now newer file is uploaded.
nittamituaki is offline  
Old 28 December 2014, 23:22   #16
Tsak
Registered User

Tsak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Athens
Posts: 249
@Nitta

Good job

I'm moving the bug reports to this page btw

Quote:
Originally Posted by nittamituaki View Post

Quote:
Are you 100% sure that the problems happens because of large number of objects/walls used?

I cannot answer as "Yes, 100% sure!".

Quote:
#1 glitch: quick test edit the map and erase some of the objects. Does it happen again?

I tested again and again, however, it happens.
If I could fix one point, then another wall causes this bug.
So you erased a large number of walls and objects and it still happens?
If yes, now you can be 100% sure that this bug is NOT caused by many objects, many walls or complex map design. There's something else that is causing this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nittamituaki View Post
No, we(Leon and me) use Gloom Deluxe engine.
But you use the map editor from Ganja's site, right?
It specifically mentions there that the editor MIGHT work with Gloom Deluxe, but is made for original Gloom instead... I'm wondering... would it be possible to contact Mark Sibly himself for help? Being the author would surely help a lot on how to avoid all those bugs or what is causing them.
Tsak is offline  
Old 29 December 2014, 18:33   #17
s2325
Zone Friend

s2325's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Gargore
Age: 37
Posts: 17,816
It's on news page on http://www.ppa.pl/
s2325 is offline  
Old 29 December 2014, 20:43   #18
nittamituaki
Cd32+Fdd User (CFU)

nittamituaki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Japan
Posts: 337
Quote:
Originally Posted by s2325 View Post
It's on news page on http://www.ppa.pl/
amiga-news.de. ,too. So I have to fix glitches which I can fix as possible.

@Tsak
While I recreate E1L3 (yes,this time I don't make "paper thin walls" !),
I noticed that glitches occurred even though there were 2-3 houses !
Now I suspect following situation causes those glitches:


We noticed these barriers also had another problem:
Using sidesteps allows us to go through these barriers.
It's also serious bug.
In the first place, I made these barriers to solve
"Where aredid you come from?" issues.


About Maped versions:
Sorry, now I remembered.
I used Maped both from commercial Gloom3 disk & attachment from Leon(Czeslaw).
I assumed my version was not edited by anybody
because there was no reason why people had to edit it at that time.

About contact with Mark Sibly:
Earok knows.
Once I heard their office are close each other.
But I suspect Mark have already forgotten almost stuff about Gloom...
According to Amiga Future's interview to Gaz(Gloom3's author),
the source code had been lost when Mark's hard disk had gone.

Last edited by nittamituaki; 26 December 2015 at 03:21. Reason: changed URL of image.
nittamituaki is offline  
Old 30 December 2014, 14:49   #19
Neil79
Senior Member
Neil79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Kent
Age: 38
Posts: 2,518
http://www.indieretronews.com/2014/1...st-person.html

And up on ours too! We would've had it up the other day, but just been so busy! So many emails to get through :O
Neil79 is offline  
Old 05 January 2015, 05:16   #20
nittamituaki
Cd32+Fdd User (CFU)

nittamituaki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Japan
Posts: 337
Let me give information about latest update of this game.

Last Updated: Jan 5, 2015
Update Features:

Fixed fatal glitches when you sidestep beside the wall.

Enhanced the town and headquarters levels. (Not "paper thin walls" anymore!)


2 Players co-op mode is now available.

ADF version has dummy files for 2 players combat mode.
(You don't have to reboot your system even if you select "Two Player Combat" by mistake. See this picture.)

Fixed Red antheads' strange animation.

Fixed Yellow ants' wrong sound.


At last I couldn't fix those glitches.
But now version is far playable whether you usually use "sidestep" option or not.
Now I strongly recommend you to download new data pack (of #1 of this thread) again.
(If you have already installed previous pack and you don't want to install again,
you can also download this attachment and replace them.)

ADF version is now updated, too.

Aminet version is updated. (date is Jan 4, though.)
Enjoy!
Attached Files
File Type: zip 150105update.zip (234.2 KB, 60 views)

Last edited by nittamituaki; 26 December 2015 at 03:21. Reason: changed URL of image.
nittamituaki is offline  
AdSense AdSense  
 


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How "Brick Games" and "Game' n' Watches" works Leandro Jardim Retrogaming General Discussion 2 03 August 2013 18:48
"Exception "Line 1111 Emulator" ($2c) Error at $1004" when exiting game demolition support.WinUAE 15 30 November 2012 17:43
Getting hand-installed "It came from the desert" to work in WB 3.1 Gaula92 support.Games 1 21 October 2011 13:36
cannot save game in "It Came From The Desert" Interceptor project.WHDLoad 0 23 April 2010 00:12
Fully working ADFs of "It Came from the Desert"? laffer support.Games 8 22 December 2009 18:51

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 11:14.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Page generated in 0.26012 seconds with 12 queries