Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 13 January 2015, 22:16   #101
DonAmiga

I picked mine up from whsmith and there was a few on the shelf
AdSense AdSense  
Old 13 January 2015, 23:40   #102
Amigajay
醉拳

Still none near me, ordered on the 3rd, said it would be shipping 'in the coming days' not exactly filling me with confidence.
Old 14 January 2015, 10:14   #103
chiark
Needs a life

I bought the last copy in WHSmiths Leeds. (Didn't have it at the White Rose centre store)

It's entertaining, but there's plenty of scope for more on the Amiga for sure.
Old 14 January 2015, 14:35   #104
Strider

Apologies guys. I've only just seen this!
The Amiga Book sold out far quicker than was expected, in fact it's been our fasted selling bookazine ever. To my understanding, everyone who played an order would receive a copy as it's apparently impossible to order one if they've run out due to the way the system is set up. Due to the Christmas break no books were sent out before the 5th (as stated on the website) but backlog meant they took a little longer than normal. It should also be in WHSmiths stores, but apparently their distribution (which is out of our control) focus on sending to bigger stores and then resupplying from there. People are starting to find it in their local stores so it might be worth phoning beforehand to avoid disappointment. If you just want to read the content then a digital version does exist.
Hopefully that answers questions. I didn't want to mention the book before hand here as I'm a new member and felt it wouldn't be in good taste.

I'm sorry some feel it's a waste of money. We always make it quite clear that our bookazines are created from existing content, so I'm not sure how it could be bought expecting it to be something it isn't. We even added some new content because people asked for it.

Of course, if you don't buy RG then hopefully you'll enjoy it. I can't think of any other modern bookazine around that has so much Amiga goodness in one place. And yes we're not Amiga historians but we do give out articles to writers that loved the system growing up. I'm sorry if the odd error has soured your enjoyment of the book.

Last edited by Strider; 14 January 2015 at 14:43.
Old 14 January 2015, 14:41   #105
Neil79

I'm still waiting for mine, they once again said "Shipping tomorrow" Which is for today and it still says processing. If it doesn't ship tomorrow I'm cancelling my order and i'm done with both companies. Expect stern words in an article if it doesn't arrive
Old 14 January 2015, 14:45   #106
Strider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil79 View Post
I'm still waiting for mine, they once again said "Shipping tomorrow" Which is for today and it still says processing. If it doesn't ship tomorrow I'm cancelling my order and i'm done with both companies. Expect stern words in an article if it doesn't arrive
Sorry you feel that Neil. There's only one person who works in the department and he's dealing with all the additional orders that came in over Christmas. If you pm me your details I could possibly looking into where your book currently is.
Old 14 January 2015, 14:46   #107
Neil79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strider View Post
Sorry you feel that Neil. There's only one person who works in the department and he's dealing with all the additional orders that came in over Christmas. If you pm me your details I could possibly looking into where your book currently is.
I'll send it over now, thanks Strider

I'm usually pretty patient but having a company say to me, it will be delivered in the next few days, delivered tomorrow, delivered next week, delivered next few days again and now tomorrow for today feels
Old 14 January 2015, 16:07   #108
Strider

I understand it's frustrating and I know the person in the department is going as fast as he can. As I said the sales have been phenomenal for the book and combined with a hectic christmas of reduced magazines I guess it's resulted in a busy period for the department.
Old 14 January 2015, 16:16   #109
Neil79

Quote:
I understand it's frustrating and I know the person in the department is going as fast as he can. As I said the sales have been phenomenal for the book and combined with a hectic christmas of reduced magazines I guess it's resulted in a busy period for the department.
The thing is what they should've done is told people there is an up to two week delay atleast, rather than promising daily shipping that never happened.

But on a lighter note

The Amiga Book - Shipped
Old 14 January 2015, 19:04   #110
spudje

I got my shipping mail today as well, finally!
Old 14 January 2015, 21:16   #111
-=ARA=-

@Strider

Any chance of a reprint of the Amiga book?

It was not available in any of the four different shops I went to here in sweden,
that usually sells the retrogamer magazine.
I am not that surprised that it sold out quickly,
considering the amount of pledges the Kickstarter amiga book got.
I am a little disappointed though, that I didnīt get hold of a copy.

I really love the A500, after all it was my first computer
Old 14 January 2015, 21:29   #112
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

I've just picked up two copies from the WH Smith in Croydon (the place where Iron Man 3's Trevor Slattery performed King Lear). They looked like the last two copies.
Old 15 January 2015, 00:39   #113
Havie

Quote:
Apologies guys. I've only just seen this!
The Amiga Book sold out far quicker than was expected, in fact it's been our fasted selling bookazine ever. To my understanding, everyone who played an order would receive a copy as it's apparently impossible to order one if they've run out due to the way the system is set up. Due to the Christmas break no books were sent out before the 5th (as stated on the website) but backlog meant they took a little longer than normal. It should also be in WHSmiths stores, but apparently their distribution (which is out of our control) focus on sending to bigger stores and then resupplying from there. People are starting to find it in their local stores so it might be worth phoning beforehand to avoid disappointment. If you just want to read the content then a digital version does exist.
Hopefully that answers questions. I didn't want to mention the book before hand here as I'm a new member and felt it wouldn't be in good taste.

I'm sorry some feel it's a waste of money. We always make it quite clear that our bookazines are created from existing content, so I'm not sure how it could be bought expecting it to be something it isn't. We even added some new content because people asked for it.

Of course, if you don't buy RG then hopefully you'll enjoy it. I can't think of any other modern bookazine around that has so much Amiga goodness in one place. And yes we're not Amiga historians but we do give out articles to writers that loved the system growing up. I'm sorry if the odd error has soured your enjoyment of the book.
Well said - even though I have read every issue of RG and been a subscriber from whichever issue subscriptions started ( as well as having 2 games published on the RG CDs) I still think it's a great read and a nice keep sake. I guess we may be able to expect a second volume in the future with a focus on the A1200 or the full range?

Thanks for producing it and putting our beloved computer back into the spotlight (even if it's a slightly limited and fairly brief spotlight).
Old 15 January 2015, 12:16   #114
Strider

There's always a potential for a reprint, but there's a number of factors to take into consideration, mainly the fact that it won't necessarily have reached overseas stores just yet due to shipping etc.

I'd imagine that it will take a couple of months to crunch all the figures before any decisions (far above me I might add) are made. I feel it has a good chance, even if it is in a revised form (a couple of replacement articles etc) because of its fast sales on the store.
Old 15 January 2015, 12:25   #115
leathered

I had a flick through the book and didn't buy it, but I get RG every month and recognised much of the material. My favourite coverage in the magazine by far has to be the interviews and coverage of the teams and what they did – Amiga or not.

Future classics always gives me something a bit more modern to look forward to and got me playing Half Life 2 again recently. I don't buy any other gaming magazine so that has it's place for me.

I like the games coverage; the breakdown of the stages, what makes the game work, and the home conversions. Sometimes what's lacking here is the modern Amiga stuff – eg. the dark palette for Midnight Resistance has been fixed with the modern WHDLoad patch and improved control scheme – making the conversion mighty indeed.
You all went a bit easy on the Amiga version of Strider though – shame on you
Old 15 January 2015, 16:19   #116
Phantomz

I've just received my copy in the post at last.

I haven't got time to read it at the moment, typical it turns up on a busy day, but never mind at least it's here now.

It doesn't appear to be much bigger than a magazine, but I'm glad I purchased it anyway, its not like its going to break the bank being only a tenner.

I've always wanted Retro Gamer to release an Amiga Book, and we have sort of got one now, I say sort of as would have preferred a bit of content on other model Amiga's apart from the 500 even if it was only the smaller machines like 600, 1200 etc.

I understand most of the book, is old content from retro gamer with a few pages of new content, but I feel a lot more content could have been added if more time was taken in making it, even information on all the different machines would have given a few more pages etc.

Anyway like I said, I'm happy that I've got my copy now.
Old 15 January 2015, 17:32   #117
LieutLaww

Mine arrived today as well ! Shall be looking through it later
Old 15 January 2015, 17:45   #118
Strider

We typically produce volumes of work, so there's enough content on the Amiga 1200, CD32, the history of Amiga systems and additional games to appear later.
You have to realise that reprints or not, magazines are not a safe bet like they were 10-20 years ago and not just anything gets put into print.
In a perfect world we'd have gone on Kickstarter and made a more dynamic book that was completely full or new content, but because we're a magazine publisher that would have been most likely frowned upon.
I'm just glad I've been able to get a book out there that's full of fantastic Amiga content.
Old 15 January 2015, 19:24   #119
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Amiga book started to appear on eBay with prices 35 GBP and even more. I understand it, it is rare
Old 16 January 2015, 15:14   #120
amuleth

Is it a limited edition or something?
AdSense AdSense