English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 30 November 2014, 15:46   #81
tolkien
AmigaMan

A new update in almost 2015? I think these are great and fantastic news!
AdSense AdSense  
Old 01 December 2014, 02:22   #82
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

For all the ways that really count I am pleased that a good product is being invested in, more power to you all for that.

I am curious however, it was my comprehension that when something is placed in the public domain, either in whole or in part, it cannot then be removed from the public domain. At least that is the law in the United Kingdom.

I am unaware if AmiNet is considered public domain, and I do not remember reading any public license agreement of the uploaded application that limited its dissemination to the public.

If it is a legal manoeuvre or not, it is clear that by removing this application from what most consider the public domain and a primary outlet, A-EON have not garnered any good will to support their products or future projects with this action.

This is sad, I do have hopes for this company.
Old 01 December 2014, 02:59   #83
turrican3
Moon 1969 = amiga 1985

Thank you AEON can't wait to see if your plan is : step by step make the amiga come back.WE'll see what will happen next years.
Old 01 December 2014, 03:18   #84
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Send a message via Skype™ to Retrofan
Zetr0 don't worry about old versions of PPaint, they are now co-owned by Cloanto and A-EON, and they will be mantained by both of them.

I was worried too as since some months ago I want PPaint on my next -few days left- update of AmiKit Real, but both Cloanto -M.C. Battilana- and A-EON -AmigaKit- are helping me to let the user download and install the old version if he wants to.

Of course I'm also very interested in the new 2015 versions
Old 01 December 2014, 04:17   #85
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

@Retrofan

Its been a while my friend, it is good to read you =)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrofan
Zetr0 don't worry about old versions of PPaint, they are now co-owned by Cloanto and A-EON, and they will be mantained by both of them.
Being maintained is good my friend, but it is much nicer to see old software get continued support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrofan
I was worried too as since some months ago I want PPaint on my next -few days left- update of AmiKit Real, but both Cloanto -M.C. Battilana- and A-EON -AmigaKit- are helping me to let the user download and install the old version if he wants to.
To be honest my friend, in my humble opinion you shouldn't of had too since it was already available in the public domain. I just feel its a very poor move to request the removal of the software that people have enjoyed, without restrictions for quite some time.

My only concern, if I have one, is that this particular move on behalf of A-EON looks bad form for them. This is so unfortunate when they need interest, or more specifically - good will - from the community in the project that they are doing.

Actions like these are damaging to any business that trades on a name or good will and the community has a very long memory. This makes it harder for those in the community that want to support commercial projects increasingly difficult.

Weather or not the earlier versions find a home on a site for download by A-EON or not, this should of been done first before removing it from AmiNet. Like it or not, people are possessive, and lets be honest, its not like the Amiga Community to miss out on yet another drama

It is just a shame, a little forethought could of gone a long way to bolstering the good news of continued development and support as well as brought a lot more interest of the product to the community.

Arguably my statements here are made in hindsight, however if they had given me a phone call.... I could of helped

Its easy to see why some see this action in a more negative light, perhaps even going so far as to suggest an attempt to force sales.

But then, I wonder if its a moot point since we are all talking about it, perhaps not in the way that the new/old/once upon a time owners wanted.
Old 01 December 2014, 10:49   #86
Daedalus

@Zetr0

I agree that this was handled very badly, but I never had the impression that PPaint was public domain. I thought it was on Aminet under a specific, Aminet-only release, and further distribution was not allowed so a separate agreement would have been required for inclusion in Amikit for example. Perhaps that agreement (if there was one) is still in place? Anyway, it's not like it was ever going to be hard to find a copy of it somewhere...

Well, at least it is still available from a webpage which carried information about the updated version which was the aim I guess, so hopefully people will accept that and move on. At the end of the day, it is very positive and I'm delighted that PPaint is being updated. I still use the version given away on a cover CD many years ago, and the updates would be quite welcome to solve a couple of little problems it gives under OS4.
Old 01 December 2014, 15:00   #87
daxb

@Zetr0:
Full agreement.

I don`t understand why they "kill" so many potential customers. The developer will dislike that decision too because the may get less money. At least less beta tester. Before the news come out they know that bad PR follows.
Overall it is bad for everyone.
Old 01 December 2014, 15:22   #88
amigakit.com

The developer is already paid for the new version 7.3 work in full so A-EON is in the "red" on this project at the moment. If 468 copies are sold in total then the project will break even. Anything over this and a surplus will be made.

However, A-EON intends to invest more money into further updates very shortly

Keep suggestions coming for future features that you would like to see on the new PPaint.
Old 02 December 2014, 06:11   #89
Michael
A1260T/PPC/BV/SCSI/NET

Layers (like TVPaint) would be interesting, not much of use in colour mapped modes and in most cases stencils do a similar job, but still, will be nice and can help in some cases.
Old 02 December 2014, 08:06   #90
bubbob42

I bought the new PPaint and tinkered a bit with it. The new toolbar is nice and makes drawing in very high res possible. The second row of brushes has wrong colors in the toolbar and is invisible. Could be fixed easily.

But what is "full Workbench integration" supposed to be? The lack of updated documentation (still at 7.1) does not help here.

Btw.: Icon startup type is set to shell, should be Workbench.
Old 15 December 2014, 23:39   #91
tin
eezeenow!

VERY eyebrow raising...

I want to add here I am in full support of both Amigakit and Cloanto, I have gladly paid for the Amiga Forever rehashes over and over for many years, and bought insanely priced hardware from Amigakit for slightly fewer years with much pleasure that they're there selling stuff for my ancient computer. More power to Amigakit for picking up the product from Cloanto and I wish them every success possible in this regard.

However I must say the forced removal from Aminet is at least odd. Amongst many thoughts: if the software is being given away still anyway what's the point? I'd still have argument against the removal if it was not being given away - but it is.

Unfortunately the market has been full of dodgy practice for many years so anyone that's left here is hyper-aware. Aminet is a well trusted old-time resource. Maybe few do use it any more, but its reputation proceeds it. Removing it from such a resource strikes me as very very odd.

Stick it back on Aminet, Amigakit. Update it with a version that promotes the new one if that's your problem. If that's not your problem, come clean about what the problem is ASAP. Seriously. You need all the power you can garner to succeed in this tiny market and the (big, small, who really knows?) amount of negative press this is getting isn't worth it.
Old 16 December 2014, 10:51   #92
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL Send a message via Skype™ to FOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by tin View Post
Stick it back on Aminet, Amigakit. Update it with a version that promotes the new one if that's your problem. If that's not your problem, come clean about what the problem is ASAP. Seriously. You need all the power you can garner to succeed in this tiny market and the (big, small, who really knows?) amount of negative press this is getting isn't worth it.
Its still available free, http://www.ppaint.com/.

I really don't understand all this fuss over it being removed from aminet.
Its like saying a music artist cant ask for their music to be removed from youtube after they allow it for years. Its up to them.
Old 16 December 2014, 14:39   #93
daxb

Hmmm... you really can`t understand it or don`t you want after so much time? Several people have explained why. Still no reason stated why it was removed. The whole thing is at least unsocial. Why making people angry? Just for the fun?!
Old 16 December 2014, 15:48   #94
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Quote:
Originally Posted by daxb View Post
Hmmm... you really can`t understand it or don`t you want after so much time? Several people have explained why. Still no reason stated why it was removed. The whole thing is at least unsocial. Why making people angry? Just for the fun?!
REALLY cant understand. No one has explained a valid reason. Seems you have all decided, anything on Aminet is free and the owners have no say at all. So moving the same file to another server is not allowed. One person started all this delibrately, they knew the reason and decided to pretrend they didnt just to stir up trouble.

File is still available for free. So not going to continue this. It has been explained. So lets just leave it there.

Last edited by FOL; 16 December 2014 at 15:58.
Old 16 December 2014, 17:30   #95
kolla

Aminet has proven the test of time, what happens when ppaint.com goes defunct for whatever reasons?
Old 16 December 2014, 17:49   #96
amigakit.com

PPaint was always a commercial programme, but now its developed again (which is very exciting for Classic Amigas!)

So it makes sense to grow the ppaint.com website to offer tutorials, support files, wiki, downloads etc and make it the destination for everything to do with PPaint. I hope you understand what we want to do with this great application going forward.
Old 16 December 2014, 18:47   #97
Adrian Browne
Jackie Chan

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by amigakit.com View Post
PPaint was always a commercial programme, but now its developed again (which is very exciting for Classic Amigas!)

So it makes sense to grow the ppaint.com website to offer tutorials, support files, wiki, downloads etc and make it the destination for everything to do with PPaint. I hope you understand what we want to do with this great application going forward.
Sweet!!!!
Old 16 December 2014, 19:07   #98
kolla

I'm still pondering what "Totally integrated with the AmigaOS Workbench" implies. Can you run PPaint on Workbench screen instead of dedicated screen?
Old 16 December 2014, 19:16   #99
Reido

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOL View Post

I really don't understand all this fuss over it being removed from aminet.
Its like saying a music artist cant ask for their music to be removed from youtube after they allow it for years. Its up to them.
+1 here
Old 16 December 2014, 19:57   #100
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolla View Post
Aminet has proven the test of time, what happens when ppaint.com goes defunct for whatever reasons?
And what happens when aminet.net goes defunct for whatever reasons?
AdSense AdSense