English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 28 November 2014, 20:30   #41
ptyerman

@ daxb.
Don't worry the troll thing wasn't aimed at you.
As for removal of PPaint from Aminet, it was a old version anyway so no harm done as the free version is still been hosted elsewhere.
I do agree it could have been handled slightly better and a pointer to the files placed on Aminet.
But, at the end of the day, it is commercial software under development again, therefore the IP owner can remove it if it pleases.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 28 November 2014, 20:35   #42
Korodny
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptyerman View Post
@ daxb.
Don't worry the troll thing wasn't aimed at you.
Yeah, I'm not worried either - I'd rather have you call Aminet mirror administrators "trolls" for voicing their opinion.

This was handled in the worst possible way, period. Nobody's is questioning they're entitled to do what they did - we just wish they'd use their brains first.

@amigakit:

You claim Cloanto wanted it removed from Aminet, yet buzz was contacted by A-EON. Care to comment?
Old 28 November 2014, 20:45   #43
ptyerman

What are you on about? I wasn't saying anything against Aminet administrators either.
Old 28 November 2014, 21:06   #44
Korodny
Zone Friend

Quote:
What are you on about? I wasn't saying anything against Aminet administrators either.
Oh, sorry - I thought you were referring to Buzz. My apologies, I'll stop trolling now
Old 28 November 2014, 21:07   #45
wawa

Quote:
you are spreading incorrect information, insist on it and then you are calling people who correct you trolls. wonder why you are so dedicated to put cloanto in a bad light. well, shame on you, is the least to say..
Old 28 November 2014, 21:11   #46
ptyerman

You have no idea who I was referring to so shut up! I wasn't calling anybody who corrected anything I said. You have got the whole thing out of context, nobody else.
Old 28 November 2014, 21:37   #47
wawa

@ptyerman
Quote:
Cloanto removed it from Aminet when A-EON took over development.
- apparently wrong information. isnt it? where do you have it from?
and then several posts later:

Quote:
I already answered that several posts back, read the whole thread.

@ Amigakit, ignore the trolls. You know who.
dont see any trolls, whoever it might be, neither prior to these posts nor after.
Old 28 November 2014, 21:43   #48
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Send a message via Skype™ to Retrofan
It should stay on Aminet.
Old 28 November 2014, 22:46   #49
daxb

Anyone does a statistc of how many amiga user were able to download the free version from amistore?
Old 29 November 2014, 00:07   #50
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

What I wonder is how it is possible to delete from Aminet something that has been stored there for the people. Once you store it there you shoudn't be able to delete it. It's just like if I delete my posts here, a moderator would restore them without asking me if they are of some interest. Most of the users are always right.

In spanish we've got a saying "Santa Rita Rita Rita, lo que se da no se quita". (Saint Rita Rita Rita, which is given is not removed).
Old 29 November 2014, 00:08   #51
Lonewolf10
AMOS Extensions Developer

For what it's worth:

- I have an old version of Personal Paint that I use occasionally

- MS Paint (on Windows) is my preferred art tool (despite the softwares bugs and annoyances)

- Old versions of free software should stay free and be available on the sources they have already been uploaded to.

- New versions of said software can be restricted if they aren't going to be free

- I applaud the fact that people are still developing commercial software for the Amiga
Old 29 November 2014, 01:27   #52
Dunny

I have an old version (6.something) that I have on some floppy disks. Am I still allowed to use that, or do I need to buy the new version?

D.
Old 29 November 2014, 10:05   #53
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL Send a message via Skype™ to FOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrofan View Post
What I wonder is how it is possible to delete from Aminet something that has been stored there for the people. Once you store it there you shoudn't be able to delete it. It's just like if I delete my posts here, a moderator would restore them without asking me if they are of some interest. Most of the users are always right.

In spanish we've got a saying "Santa Rita Rita Rita, lo que se da no se quita". (Saint Rita Rita Rita, which is given is not removed).
Thats a completely different thing all together. You agree to the forums owning your posts etc etc. Aminet do not own other peoples work.

Can we just move on, this is just crazy. I bet half of the people moaning have never even heard / never used PPaint. Now its not on aminet, their up in arms, seems absolutely crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
I have an old version (6.something) that I have on some floppy disks. Am I still allowed to use that, or do I need to buy the new version?

D.
Im guessing this comment is obviously a joke?
Old 29 November 2014, 11:53   #54
jonathan
Pastafarian

Its WONDERFUL to see an update of classic amiga software in 2014. Can the 5 persons that are complaing about an old version being removed from aminet start their own thread about that, thanks.
Old 29 November 2014, 12:00   #55
Bamiga2002
BlizzardPPC'less

Send a message via MSN to Bamiga2002
So because PPaint is being updated everyone should ignore the fact that Aminet-removal was handled pretty badly? And then was the question who removed it and there wasn't a straight answer to that? How hard can it be to handle things in a good manner? It's a matter or principal here.

On the positive, it should be available for download again...
Old 29 November 2014, 12:37   #56
demolition
Unregistered User

This is one very odd move. It is fine to continue development on an old piece of software and charge money for the updated version, but removing all downloads of the old free version is a very bad decision.
If it indeed was the previous owner who removed it, then you should put it back onto Aminet (without crippling it) and include some information about where to get/buy the updated versions.
Old 29 November 2014, 12:50   #57
TCD

Quote:
Originally Posted by demolition View Post
It is fine to continue development on an old piece of software and charge money for the updated version, but removing all downloads of the old free version is a very bad decision.
Do people even realise that the old version is available on http://ppaint.amistore.net? I'm trying to figure out who actually removed the content from Aminet (not that the mess that this thread has become is helpful) and will post it once I know.

It's not your particular post, you were just the last one in this thread to post before me. Please let's calm down and stick to the facts (if and when they are available...)
Old 29 November 2014, 12:59   #58
Dunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCD View Post
Do people even realise that the old version is available on http://ppaint.amistore.net?
Except it's not.

D.
Old 29 November 2014, 12:59   #59
demolition
Unregistered User

Quote:
Do people even realise that the old version is available on http://ppaint.amistore.net?
I am unable to download from that page - I just get a blank page when I click on the link.
Old 29 November 2014, 13:13   #60
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Quote:
Do people even realise that the old version is available on http://ppaint.amistore.net? I'm trying to figure out who actually removed the content from Aminet (not that the mess that this thread has become is helpful) and will post it once I know.

That's very kind of them .
AdSense AdSense