English Amiga Board Amiga Lore

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 22 November 2014, 02:20   #1
Blitter

Make HD image for use in emulator?

I've got a PCMCIA-CF adapter that I used a few years ago to transfer floppy contents to my Mac.

I'm now wondering if it's possible to make a disk image of my entire A1200 hard drive to use through a Mac emulator? (So I can literally mothball the physical machine, but keep using the cloned one through emulation)
AdSense AdSense  
Old 22 November 2014, 02:30   #2
Hewitson

I'd plug the drive into the Mac and use dd to make an image of it.
Old 22 November 2014, 16:26   #3
Blitter

Hmm... don't really wanna take Amiga apart. Any other ways?
Old 22 November 2014, 16:35   #4
fgh

Yes, you can make an image with a tool like TSGui on the amiga side.
(Or you could just create an archive per partition with lha, but then you would only keep the files of course, not the partition setup.)
Old 23 November 2014, 01:30   #5
Blitter

Ah cool. So how would I do that - I guess I can't boot from the hard drive if I want to make an image of it?
Old 23 November 2014, 11:13   #6
fgh

Yes you could.

How large is the HDD?
You can use CF cards of any size (512GB if you like) over PCMCIA, but the file size limitation of FAT32 is 4GB. So if your HDD is larger than that I guess you need to use lha and make archives smaller than 4GB.

If the HDD is that large, making either an image or an archive will take quite a long time on an a1200 though
Old 23 November 2014, 12:32   #7
Vot

Make HD image for use in emulator?

Just plug the cf card into your pc. Im pretty sure winuae has an option to backup the card to an image file these days

Last edited by Vot; 23 November 2014 at 14:55.
Old 01 December 2014, 02:44   #8
Blitter

The HD is split into 2 partitions (pretty much to keep System and Work files seperate), and in total is only 80mb and I've got a 128mg CF card, so that's no bother.

I tried to copy the 'Work files' partition (which isn't the boot partition) by just dragging it onto the CF card's icon (on the Amiga). Most of these files are images/sound/text so I can view them straight from my Mac, don't need to go through emulator.

1st problem - I get a Workbench alert: "Volume has a checksum error on disk block 2536". Is there a way to check which files are in this block? Is it fixable?
I clicked 'Retry' a few times with no luck so clicked 'Cancel' and it carried on copying the rest of the contents of the drive to the CF Card. Would like to know what's missing though.

2nd problem: When I put the CF Card in my Mac to copy the files off, I'm (unsurprisingly) getting errors with files that have ? in the filename.
Is there any way in the CLI to search the entire Amiga drive for filenames with ? or ! in them (and remove the offending characters if poss, if not I can do it by hand once I know where they are)?

3rd problem: Not really a problem, but when I've dragged a floppy onto the CF Card, the Mac then sometimes shows a folder called Trashcan within the floppy's directory. It appears to have no contents. Why's that? (can't remember how the Amiga dealt with deleting files, TBH)

4th problem: On the Mac the creation dates for all files are today. The modified and last opened date is retained (though out by 1hr for some reason) so I can copy the modified date to the creation date. All folders however have todays date, is there any way to retain the original date when copying onto the CF card on the Amiga? Did the Amiga not have a seperate Creation datestamp as part of the OS, BTW?

Last edited by Blitter; 01 December 2014 at 03:25.
Old 01 December 2014, 09:32   #9
thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitter View Post
1st problem - I get a Workbench alert: "Volume has a checksum error on disk block 2536". Is there a way to check which files are in this block? Is it fixable?
I clicked 'Retry' a few times with no luck so clicked 'Cancel' and it carried on copying the rest of the contents of the drive to the CF Card. Would like to know what's missing though.
You should not use Workbench for file operations. It does not show your all files. And it stops an operation at the first error. Use DirOpus or the like to copy files. It will tell you which file is bad and allows you to skip it.

Quote:
2nd problem: When I put the CF Card in my Mac to copy the files off, I'm (unsurprisingly) getting errors with files that have ? in the filename.
Is there any way in the CLI to search the entire Amiga drive for filenames with ? or ! in them (and remove the offending characters if poss, if not I can do it by hand once I know where they are)?
IIRC this was discussed in an emulation forum just a few days ago. Use the search function.

Quote:
3rd problem: Not really a problem, but when I've dragged a floppy onto the CF Card, the Mac then sometimes shows a folder called Trashcan within the floppy's directory. It appears to have no contents. Why's that? (can't remember how the Amiga dealt with deleting files, TBH)
If you delete a file in AmigaDOS it is deleted permanently. If you want to keep a copy you can drag it to the Trashcan on the same volume. A Trashcan ist just a directory which has the "empty trash" menu item enabled. Nothing magic.

Quote:
4th problem: On the Mac the creation dates for all files are today. The modified and last opened date is retained (though out by 1hr for some reason) so I can copy the modified date to the creation date. All folders however have todays date, is there any way to retain the original date when copying onto the CF card on the Amiga? Did the Amiga not have a seperate Creation datestamp as part of the OS, BTW?
AmigaDOS maintains only one date per file, the last changed date. The other two dates have to be guessed by the destination file system. So it is correct that the creation date is today (the copies were created today, weren't they?) and the last opened date is probably set equal to last changed.
Old 02 December 2014, 07:49   #10
supaduper

In my opinion the best and only way to back up that HD is to open up your A1200 I know you say you don't want to but it takes less than two minutes to do.
then get a card reader and a PC( don't know if you have one as you only mention Mac)
Then get the program `Winimage` its free, simple and and will back the whole drive up and it not throw up errors ,it will copy it `warts and all` in less than 10 minutes.
Its painless and you can do the whole thing in less than half an hour
Old 03 December 2014, 03:51   #11
boing_1000
A1000 Addict

I just use a directory folder for my emulated hard drive, I don't bother with HDF files. But then, I don't know if the Mac UAE emulator will allow for that...
Old 14 April 2015, 12:42   #12
asadn711

The modified and last opened date is retained (though out by 1hr for some reason) so I can copy the modified date to the creation date. All folders however have todays date, is there any way to retain the original date when copying onto the CF card on the Amiga? Did the Amiga not have a seperate Creation datestamp as part of the OS, BTW????

six sigma

Old 14 April 2015, 16:00   #13
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL Send a message via Skype™ to FOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by asadn711 View Post
The modified and last opened date is retained (though out by 1hr for some reason) so I can copy the modified date to the creation date. All folders however have todays date, is there any way to retain the original date when copying onto the CF card on the Amiga? Did the Amiga not have a seperate Creation datestamp as part of the OS, BTW????

six sigma
CLONE, will retain original files date etc etc.
example "copy dh0: all to dh1: clone"
AdSense AdSense