English Amiga Board Amiga Lore

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 27 November 2014, 06:23   #21
ptyerman

The Amiga virus checkers was 20 years ago and a different ball game. The majority was bootblock virii that caused havoc on the disk files, there wasn't such a thing as root kits or a virus that tunnelled in-to the kernel functions. To me, if it's detecting ANYTHING suspicious it's doing it's job.
It doesn't delete any files, it never has done, it quarantines them. If a file is suspicious you have the chance to check it out before adding it to the exclusion list and moving it back out of quarantine. Why is that so hard to understand?
I would be worried in this day and age if a virus checker didn't pick up on suspicious files and just stayed silent all the time, it obviously wouldn't be doing it's job.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 27 November 2014, 06:39   #22
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

Quote:
It doesn't delete any files, it never has done, it quarantines them.
That contradicts what Supamax said: "Problem is: as soon as I download it, Avast keeps deleting it." You cannot both be correct.

Quote:
just stayed silent all the time
I never suggested it should do that, I said it shouldn't delete files without asking. I suggest rereading my post more carefully.

Amiga virus checkers were not all 20 years ago and indeed most Amiga virii do tunnel into kernel functions, eg. via interception of DoIO() calls. None of which is really relevant as to why a program should delete a user's files without asking, that principle is timeless.

Last edited by Minuous; 27 November 2014 at 06:45.
Old 27 November 2014, 08:02   #23
ptyerman

Seeing as you are finding it extremely hard to understand and won't check it out yourself, I'll repeat what I said. It DOES NOT DELETE ANYTHING, but quarantines it as it should. It's a simple matter of checking out the file to make sure it's not infected, adding it to the exclusion list, and then switching to the quarantine vault to move the file back. Simple, job done, no infection, no virus, everything's safe!
Obviously Supamax didn't know about this, he said himself he had never used the exclusion list so I presume he also has never checked the vault for files that were moved there. Or did you just choose to skip that part of his post?
Old 27 November 2014, 08:29   #24
Hewitson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minuous View Post
The main point is that even in the case of a definite virus, it should ask what to do, not just delete files without asking. (Secondarily, it shouldn't flag some program as a virus just because of "certain sequences of x86 code which resembles that used by popular viruses".) No virus checker on the Amiga that I have ever used or heard of does this.
It was quite common for NoVirus to incorrectly detect the "TARGET" virus.
Old 27 November 2014, 08:53   #25
ptyerman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewitson View Post
Ha! Had forgotten about that one.
Old 28 November 2014, 04:45   #26
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptyerman View Post
Seeing as you are finding it extremely hard to understand and won't check it out yourself
Of course I'm not going to run such crap on my system.

Quote:
I'll repeat what I said. It DOES NOT DELETE ANYTHING, but quarantines it as it should. It's a simple matter of checking out the file to make sure it's not infected, adding it to the exclusion list, and then switching to the quarantine vault to move the file back. Simple, job done, no infection, no virus, everything's safe!
It shouldn't be moving files around without asking either.

Quote:
Yes, but IIRC it didn't just delete it without asking.
Old 28 November 2014, 07:40   #27
Vot

Does SpecEmu have malware?

Ill throw my 2 cents in

1) if someones software is being incorrectly flagged the author should contact that virus scanner company and ask them to inspect his executable and white list it. Doesn't take long to scan with virus total then contact the authors giving false positives.
2) modern virus scanners often include heuristic scanning because there are often so many variants of the virus its hard for the authors to keep up. Obviously being heuristic it will give false positives.
3) i don't know of any virus scanners that by default delete virus's. As everyone has mentioned it quarantines them.

Last edited by Vot; 28 November 2014 at 07:47.
Old 28 November 2014, 07:45   #28
ptyerman

Man! Your either ignorant, arrogant, both, or just been deliberately difficult for some quest to prove a non-existent point!
First, you don't have to run anything. Just read the, you know, read me on the website.
Your lack of knowledge on this alone speaks volumes about your agenda. No-one is asking you to run it, you are free to run what you want or nothing at all. So is other people.
When it hits a suspicious file it tells you it is suspicious and runs heuristics on it before displaying the results and CONTINUING to run the file. It doesn't move or delete anything!
If it hits a virus or trojan, it immediately moves it to quarantine and a big pop up displays on your screen telling you that fact. It tells you what it is, what file it's on, how high a threat it is, and a web link to get more info on it.
Now, again why is it so hard to understand that it doesn't delete anything or move stuff without you knowing?
It sounds like you would rather your software totally ignore that it has detected a virus and run it anyway, in which case, just don't run a anti-virus program.
Your last sentence just proves a previous point, you just can't comprehend the fact that nothing is deleted. This alone proves you have some sort of agenda and a total lack of knowledge on the subject, I would take it elsewhere as I don't believe people will listen to you, you even confirmed that you don't run Avast, so why comment on stuff you know nothing about?
Old 29 November 2014, 03:00   #29
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

Quote:
It doesn't move or delete anything!
Quote:
If it hits a virus or trojan, it immediately moves it to quarantine
Those two statements are contradictory and can't both be correct.

Quote:
It sounds like you would rather your software totally ignore that it has detected a virus and run it anyway
Of course not, I never said that.

Quote:
This alone proves you have some sort of agenda and a total lack of knowledge on the subject, I would take it elsewhere as I don't believe people will listen to you, you even confirmed that you don't run Avast, so why comment on stuff you know nothing about?
No need for ad hominem attacks. I have been running various virus checkers over decades, it's not something I know nothing about. I don't have any kind of agenda, I merely made some general points about how most virus checkers behave. I don't know why you would take it as some kind of personal insult and make these kind of personal attacks, surely you can address the points raised without ranting and insulting like a child.

Last edited by Minuous; 29 November 2014 at 03:05.
Old 29 November 2014, 08:00   #30
ptyerman

Nothing contradictory at all. The first means "delete" a file and the second means "moves" a file, two completely separate things.
I didn't take anything personally, I just don't understand your stubbornness in failing to understanding the first point, which is it doesn't delete anything. But even with this last post, it seems you still fail to understand this.
I move files about regularly in Windows, Linux, BeOS and AmigaOS and not once has any of them "deleted" a file through moving it.
Old 29 November 2014, 10:14   #31
TCD
Global Moderator

I think the thread has run its course.
AdSense AdSense