Old 17 November 2014, 16:29   #61
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

The boss fights look a little intense
AdSense AdSense  
Old 17 November 2014, 16:35   #62
lordofchaos
TinkerTailorContentMaker

About the water..Remember Lemmings 2, when the lemming pours that white stuff creating a small mound, changing the terrain in real time..That's the closest example I can think of working proof on Amiga.. Still very simple compared to Terraria but I imagine the basic principle is the same?
Old 17 November 2014, 19:11   #63
Gzegzolka

Can we just make water static? I mean let's start with most basic prototype - just plain color background, one kind of terrain to dig and one hero model to walk on surface and dig deeper if it works You can start to add more futures animals, monsters, water, different terrain type and crafting and day/night cycle. Personally I do not understood phenomena of Minecraft or Terraria, it's not a kind of game I would like to play. Why not start with porting pc games that amiga could handle better? I would love to play on amiga Commander keen, Halloween Harry, Raptor, Prehistorik 2 or Black Thorne. As far as I remember You can dig in Diggers but there is no crafting and building is restricted just to few tools. There was also extractors (diggers 2 - few more tools, more detailed maps) but developer cancel amiga port - he state that cd32 have not enough memory to keep all stuff together for single map, because all was in done in real time and what's happen on map was not restricted to single screen that player see but for whole map. I also remember that there was demo preview version of Extractors for cd32 that works fine.
Old 17 November 2014, 20:52   #64
Dunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorham View Post
Perhaps that's a bit too optimistic. But have you seen the peecee specs? 1.5 gigahertz
I know that's not what you're saying, but the 1.5GHz minimum spec really isn't an issue, unless you're browsing on a Cyrix 166MHz... 1.5GHz PCs are not hard to come by these days, so Terraria can use as much as it likes really - it's still going to be able to run on the vast majority of PCs.

Folks saying that the specs are silly should try doing a straight port of the C# source code to the A500 and see what the performance is like. Obviously we'll need to use a recent port of Mono, wouldn't we?

Oh, hang on a mo...

To get back on topic - yes, the whole map needs to be in RAM. Let's say that you build a structure on one side of the map and then move to the other. A roaming monster digs through your structure while you're away. If you're using some sort of HDD streaming, that's gonna get difficult...

D.
Old 17 November 2014, 21:01   #65
nobody

To be honest I would prefer to see games like super puzzle platformer, shovel knight, akuji the demon, ported to Amiga more than terraria.
Old 17 November 2014, 21:06   #66
Mrs Beanbag
Glastonbridge Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordofchaos View Post
Given that most people here use WinUAE or have access to it, RAM shouldn't be a problem should it? I imagine it's next to impossible to know how much RAM would be needed until any actual work started.
But what would be the point in that? Just play the PC version!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordofchaos View Post
About the water..Remember Lemmings 2, when the lemming pours that white stuff creating a small mound, changing the terrain in real time..That's the closest example I can think of working proof on Amiga.. Still very simple compared to Terraria but I imagine the basic principle is the same?
I'm reminded more of Flood. It's do-able, but i'd have to think about it. And it might take a little while... seven and a half...

If anyone has any specific ideas about how to implement it, fire away. it's all very well to say it should be easy. i think it's do-able, but i don't think it would be easy.

I think we should avoid giving it a name that implies it has anything to do with Terraria, it will just create expectations. We can deal with that later, though. But the problem with doing backwards conversions of stuff from more advanced hardware is not just that it forces you to try to do everything in the original, it limits you to only doing those things, so you compensate for some inadequacy in one area by innovating elsewhere. We can only get the best out of old hardware by innovating, not by trying to force a square peg in a round hole.

I could rank the requirements in order of ease:

1. things that ought to be trivial:
a) a scrolling map-based platform game. I know i can do that because i've done it already.
b) the map modifyable by the player
c) crafting. it's just a look-up table! nothing mysterious here even with a large number of recipes
d) fractally generated landscapes. i've done this before as well.
e) randomly spawning/despawing enemies
f) stats-based combat

2. things i've got some idea how to do:
a) a scrolling map that seems far bigger than should fit in RAM (by being fractally generated on the fly)
b) the above but modifyable by the player to a limited extent. if the player modified the whole map then that would be problematic but if you only modify bits of it it should be simple.

3. things that i think are do-able but i'm not sure exactly how i'd do them:
a) dynamically flowing water/lava &c
Old 17 November 2014, 21:43   #67
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbenam View Post
An huge part of Terraria is the dynamic water - while excavating underground opening a water stream over your head is certain death You remove that and another "few" things and it's not Terraria anymore.

Also, the generated worlds are MASSIVE and they're entirely loaded in RAM on a PC. Removing the free scrolling world would also be an huge no-no imho

Maybe on a 030 1200...
Thats lovely, but if you read most of the posts in this thread, you would know that world size is dependant on the machine its written for, ios and Android being significantly smaller than the pc and console versions.

People still accept its Terraria
Old 18 November 2014, 16:09   #68
jbenam
Italian Amiga Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT View Post
Thats lovely, but if you read most of the posts in this thread, you would know that world size is dependant on the machine its written for, ios and Android being significantly smaller than the pc and console versions.

People still accept its Terraria
I found the iOS/Android ports to be AWFUL. I don't consider them as Terraria, just a cash-grab

I've uninstalled them after 5 minutes, while I've clocked 80 hours on Steam with Terraria (and countless before with a *cough* non-Steam version...)

Terraria is all about MASSIVE, huge worlds

Same goes for the castrated mobile ports of Minecraft. I can't understand the appeal, really.
Old 18 November 2014, 21:57   #69
Mrs Beanbag
Glastonbridge Software

yes the fact that the world is absolutely huge is part of the appeal i think.. of course it would be easy enough to allow the player to choose the world size, depending on how much RAM they actually have.
Old 18 November 2014, 22:57   #70
Dunny

Quote:
Same goes for the castrated mobile ports of Minecraft. I can't understand the appeal, really.
iirc, the mobile version of minecraft is now at feature-parity with the desktop version. Minecraft pocket edition certainly has full-sized worlds and all the crafting now, I run it on my N7.

D.
Old 19 November 2014, 11:43   #71
jbenam
Italian Amiga Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
iirc, the mobile version of minecraft is now at feature-parity with the desktop version. Minecraft pocket edition certainly has full-sized worlds and all the crafting now, I run it on my N7.

D.
Now that's interesting - I'll give it another spin then! I hope Survival mode is in, I really don't care for the "creative" modes
Old 19 November 2014, 12:30   #72
Dunny

Quote:
Now that's interesting - I'll give it another spin then! I hope Survival mode is in, I really don't care for the "creative" modes
Certainly is

D.
Old 19 November 2014, 14:14   #73
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

If you only look at Terraria for a second, especially when you first start it, you may have the idea that it is very similar to the games of yesteryear. No wonder - its pixelated graphics in a grid world, is is basically designed to look like a classic game.

Things start to get interesting when you progress in the game and you start to see the game regularly throws dozens to hundreds of moving enemies at you which can also produce projectiles (pirate invasion... oh how many times I die). The whole wiring system that is in there to activate machines and teleporters is also massively complex and requires a big chunk of CPU time when you start to really use it everywhere.

Then there is the water flowing system (which is getting a major visual improvement in the next patch) which historically tanked the performance on even very powerful PCs if you'd make an entire lake of lava move. Its quite optimized now, but it was a challenge for the developers.

I know the Amiga had some pretty nifty hardware with which you could do things where the PC required quite a bit more CPU horsepower, but I'd be mighty impressed to see an Amiga Terraria with the same feature set.
Old 19 November 2014, 15:26   #74
Dunny

...Which is why I still assert that Terraria is impossible to reproduce on an Amiga.

D.
Old 19 November 2014, 17:28   #75
Gzegzolka

"Terraria" is impossible, if it going to be 1:1 port from pc, but something like Terraria with few simplifier mechanics could work.
Old 19 November 2014, 22:10   #76
Mrs Beanbag
Glastonbridge Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gzegzolka View Post
"Terraria" is impossible, if it going to be 1:1 port from pc, but something like Terraria with few simplifier mechanics could work.
exactly. the more i look into it, the more epic it gets.

I haven't yet came across anything the Amiga couldn't do, in principle, it's just the scale on which it does everything. I suppose that is part of the appeal but we can still do a very epic game, it won't be Terraria but we can use Terraria as an idea mine.
Old 19 November 2014, 22:13   #77
TCD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Beanbag View Post
I haven't yet came across anything the Amiga couldn't do, in principle, it's just the scale on which it does everything.
Well said
Old 20 November 2014, 21:57   #78
Mrs Beanbag
Glastonbridge Software

it is definitely inspiring my imagination though, i think i could make a very good game with some of these elements
Old 29 November 2014, 11:13   #79
gururise

There have been some amazing ports of some modern games to other platforms. Doom, for example has been ported to the Amiga, c64, and even the vic-20! Faster than light (FTL) has been ported to the commodore 64. Cannabalt has also been ported to the C64.

In both cases, some compromises have been made, but the feel of the game are still there. Perhaps FTL would be an easier port to the Amiga 500.

Old 30 November 2014, 00:12   #80
Lonewolf10
AMOS Extensions Developer

Has anyone started working on their (a) Terraria 'proof-of-concept' yet?

(No, I'm not volunteering - it's above my current capabilities and I already have plenty of my own ideas for games that I want to make...)

I would like to see someone (or a collaboration?) atleast attempt it.
AdSense AdSense