English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 15 November 2014, 14:42   #1
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Terraria on Amiga

This has got to be a piece of piss for even A500 surely?
AdSense AdSense  
Old 15 November 2014, 14:55   #2
s2325
Zone Friend

For me this have Crazy Sue vibe http://toucharcade.com/wp-content/up.../terraria.jpeg Maybe it's possible to use Backbone as problem may be not limited hardware but limited quantity of Amiga programmers today.
Old 15 November 2014, 15:27   #3
tolkien
AmigaMan

I like the look and style of terraria. Would like to see something similar for the Amiga.
Old 15 November 2014, 16:33   #4
amiman99

To me Terraria reminded me of Diggers.
Old 15 November 2014, 16:58   #5
Dunny

Not a chance, there's way too much going on under the hood for an A500. I'd hazard a guess that even the A4000 would severely struggle to run it. It's akin to saying that Minecraft would be possible on an Amiga equipped with a graphics card.

D.
Old 15 November 2014, 17:26   #6
ED-209

yes please
Old 15 November 2014, 21:37   #7
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
Not a chance, there's way too much going on under the hood for an A500. I'd hazard a guess that even the A4000 would severely struggle to run it. It's akin to saying that Minecraft would be possible on an Amiga equipped with a graphics card.

D.
What exactly is complicated about Terraria?
Old 15 November 2014, 22:04   #8
Mrs Beanbag
Glastonbridge Software

i never heard of it before but a quick look at a video, it kind of reminds me of Exile
Old 15 November 2014, 22:15   #9
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Beanbag View Post
i never heard of it before but a quick look at a video, it kind of reminds me of Exile
My son has it on PS3, its a 2d platform version of Minecraft, and very reminiscent of Diggers on the CD32.

Having watched my son play it, A500 could do it in its sleep, just remove the multiple layers of paralax and well, it could do a virtual 1:1 certainly PHX's Solid Gold engine could do it I think.
Old 15 November 2014, 23:45   #10
Dunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT View Post
What exactly is complicated about Terraria?
Quote:
Having watched my son play it, A500 could do it in its sleep, just remove the multiple layers of paralax and well, it could do a virtual 1:1 certainly PHX's Solid Gold engine could do it I think.
Every single one of the blocks can be removed and new ones placed in - and there's crafting too.

I'll call this one. If someone can implement Terraria (without parallax if you really must) then let's see it. You can even do it in Backbone if you like... That should be good for a laugh!

Must run on an A500, and achieve feature parity with Terraria's engine - same world size, same block properties, same weapons, same enemies... And must run on a 7MHz A500.

Any takers?

D.
Old 15 November 2014, 23:48   #11
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
Every single one of the blocks can be removed and new ones placed in - and there's crafting too.

I'll call this one. If someone can implement Terraria (without parallax if you really must) then let's see it. You can even do it in Backbone if you like... That should be good for a laugh!

Must run on an A500, and achieve feature parity with Terraria's engine - same world size, same block properties, same weapons, same enemies... And must run on a 7MHz A500.

Any takers?

D.
Im still not sure what this difficulty is. Its slightly more complicated than a standard platformer, but as most of the crafting, mining takes place on a static screen, im really perplexed what you think is complicated about this game.
Old 15 November 2014, 23:55   #12
TCD

Quote:
Im still not sure what this difficulty is.
Would you save the changed 'world' back to disk? I'm fairly certain that without an HDD you'd be very limited as to recreating the gameplay of Terraria on an Amiga. I think that's what Dunny means.
Old 16 November 2014, 00:28   #13
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCD View Post
Would you save the changed 'world' back to disk? I'm fairly certain that without an HDD you'd be very limited as to recreating the gameplay of Terraria on an Amiga. I think that's what Dunny means.
Not even that complicated. Each world is created with a seed, so the initial world generation is of no consequence.

Saving the world also doesnt need to be mammoth either, on PC and consoles, they just dont bother with economy because they dont have to, when saving the level, youre simply saving a map file which references where each block in the level needs to go, youre not physically saving a massive file with graphic data in it lol

And even if there was memory constraints later, you just tailor the seeding system to not produce a level over a set boundary size.

TErraria and Minecraft are not inifinite sand box games, they have a physical size limit. On Amiga, evene on a 512k chip/512k slow ram, the map file can go into slowmem.

The graphics are basic, and im still struggling to figure out how changing blocks is a problem....it really isnt.
Old 16 November 2014, 00:39   #14
Mrs Beanbag
Glastonbridge Software

as usual, i think as long as you're willing to forego an exact 1:1 conversion and focus on the bare essence of the game, many things become possible. there's often too much focus on replicating all the little details and not seeing the big picture, imho.

i've never played minecraft, either. but there's nothing mystical about a sandbox game crossed with a platformer. it's just a fancy map editor, with rules, where you get to jump about the place.
Old 16 November 2014, 00:53   #15
carvedeye

Quote:
as usual, i think as long as you're willing to forego an exact 1:1 conversion and focus on the bare essence of the game, many things become possible. there's often too much focus on replicating all the little details and not seeing the big picture, imho.

i've never played minecraft, either. but there's nothing mystical about a sandbox game crossed with a platformer. it's just a fancy map editor, with rules, where you get to jump about the place.
When are you going to make another game? really enjoyed playing Mr beanbag but I think a sequel would be awesome
Old 16 November 2014, 00:56   #16
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:

Exact a mundo.

Parallax offers nothing and wouldnt detract if it wasnt there, the main mechanica of the game is the style and mining/crafting stuff.

Also depending on which version you play determines the world size. PC and MAC are the biggest, PS3 and 360 are next followed by IOS and Android, both of which are significantly smaller than the smallest world size on PC.
Old 16 November 2014, 01:14   #17
TCD

Quote:
Not even that complicated. Each world is created with a seed, so the initial world generation is of no consequence.

Saving the world also doesnt need to be mammoth either, on PC and consoles, they just dont bother with economy because they dont have to, when saving the level, youre simply saving a map file which references where each block in the level needs to go, youre not physically saving a massive file with graphic data in it lol

And even if there was memory constraints later, you just tailor the seeding system to not produce a level over a set boundary size.

TErraria and Minecraft are not inifinite sand box games, they have a physical size limit. On Amiga, evene on a 512k chip/512k slow ram, the map file can go into slowmem.

The graphics are basic, and im still struggling to figure out how changing blocks is a problem....it really isnt.
Well, go on and do it then
Old 16 November 2014, 01:19   #18
Mrs Beanbag
Glastonbridge Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by carvedeye View Post
When are you going to make another game? really enjoyed playing Mr beanbag but I think a sequel would be awesome
i did have a sequel planned, but i have been very useless lately.

incidentally the levels on Mr Beanbag are pretty big, as i'm sure anyone who's played it can attest, but the maps only take a couple of Kb on disk each, when compressed (which is RLE + LZ-variant). if we were generating levels from a random seed and only storing the differences that the player has made to it, we could easily store saved games on a floppy.
Old 16 November 2014, 01:21   #19
lordofchaos
TinkerTailorContentMaker

Piss easy Galahad? Whilst I`m sure the "basic" essence of the game could be translated to work on a 1MB A500, I`m doubtful it would make it through the conversion process looking or sounding very good.

How many colours? 8/16/32? Music and SFX? I guess if Frontier can run from stock A500 with it's algorithmically generated universe then why not
Old 16 November 2014, 01:37   #20
Mrs Beanbag
Glastonbridge Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordofchaos View Post
Piss easy Galahad? Whilst I`m sure the "basic" essence of the game could be translated to work on a 1MB A500, I`m doubtful it would make it through the conversion process looking or sounding very good.

How many colours? 8/16/32? Music and SFX?
here we go with the focusing on details already!

the graphics just look the same as Superfrog to me, anyway. and what's so special about the sound effects?
AdSense AdSense