English Amiga Board Amiga Lore

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 10 November 2014, 06:03   #1
mmace

What hardware to buy?

I'm trying to get my hands on an A1200, which I will do, maybe not today, but soon!

Now, I sold my A1200 in an Eyetech EZ Tower with PPC 603e 040, Cybervision 64/3D, HDD, CD-R & iomega Zip around 15 years ago, I then left the Amiga scene (if you do really leave), I recently came back when I heard about MorphOS but it wasn't what I really wanted. I'm wanting this next A1200 just for basic retro stuff, I don't need to go as hardcore as I did in the past.

So, without it breaking the bank, can you recommend any hardware (and where to buy these from) I would need to:
Run OS3.1 from an HDD (would you recommend the CF solution I've seen?)
Output to an LCD TV (it has HDMI, DVI, VGA & SCART inputs)
Some kind of cheap accelerator, doesn't have to be 040 speeds, would also need extra RAM on it.
I'd also need a joystick, I've seen a video of someone using a wireless playstation controller, is that even possible? - if not, do places still sell ones that plug in to the A1200?
Oh, and if possible I'd like to connect it to the LAN, just for a laugh

Anything else I've missed? maybe some new tech that's come out in the past 15 years?

Thank you in advance

Last edited by mmace; 10 November 2014 at 06:12.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 10 November 2014, 08:46   #2
demolition
Unregistered User

This company still makes new stuff for the Amiga:
https://icomp.de/shop-icomp/en/shop.html
Warning, it might be bad for your bank account to visit the link!

There's accelerators (ACA12xx), joysticks (Competition PRO), Flickerfixers (Indivision) and even a USB controller for fun.

I'd suggest to start with an ACA1233, a SCART-RGB cable (if you are fine with 640x256 or 640x512 resolutions) and a CF kit with an 8GB card. Besides ebay, there are also the Amigakit and Vesalia stores which carry these things.
Individual Computers also manufacturers new joysticks, but you can also find lots of used ones if you have any other preferences. If you haven't already, check out amibay.com to find what you need.

Some links:
SCART cable: http://amigakit.leamancomputing.com/...oducts_id=1087
CF kit: http://amigakit.leamancomputing.com/...roducts_id=883

Last edited by demolition; 10 November 2014 at 08:51.
Old 10 November 2014, 11:01   #3
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
+1 for what Demo says.

Or you could get your hands on a Blizzard 1230MkIV

An 8gb CF will do you proud, the Transcend 133x ones work well in my experience.

You can see a few of the things mentioned above in use on my blog:

http://www.fitzstevesamigaworld.co.uk/?p=26
Old 10 November 2014, 12:29   #4
crazyc

If you are only game playing and scart works for you, then you could save yourself the time/cost of the Indivision, run with a good SCART cable and consider the recent external kit that I think I saw amigakit launch very recently that allows you to put the CF card out the back quite neatly.
Unfortunately I already have the injdivision routed there so had to mod my case to have the CF card externally.
+1 for the Blizzard 1230 Mk IV.

For LAN then I would just source a suitable PCMCIA network card and connect that way.
If you save the money on the indivision, maybe look at rapid road and gain USB's - not sure if they network (I am sure someone will answer that).
Old 10 November 2014, 15:16   #5
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyc View Post

For LAN then I would just source a suitable PCMCIA network card and connect that way.
If you save the money on the indivision, maybe look at rapid road and gain USB's - not sure if they network (I am sure someone will answer that).
Yes you can use LAN adapters with the RapidRoad, I used a Linksys one in the past (very small and compact)

But Networking might be faster on PCMCIA anyway and with PCMCIA you can have Wireless, AFAIK USB Wifi adapters are still not supported by the USB Stack.
Old 11 November 2014, 15:02   #6
mmace

thank you so much guys, looks like I have a busy few months ahead!
Old 11 November 2014, 20:54   #7
mmace

oooh, another question, I'll be buying 3.1 ROMs if which ever I get doesn't have them, is there an easy way to install OS3.9 that doesn't require a CD-ROM drive if I buy the disc? (I have a CF reader in my Windows PC if that helps?)
Old 11 November 2014, 20:59   #8
ajk

Yep, the most common way would be to pre-install it to the hard drive using an emulator. It's easy in principle, though people who are new to both Amigas and emulators can find it a struggle. You should have a head start if you were able to run that BlizzPPC tower setup back in the day
Old 11 November 2014, 21:03   #9
mmace

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajk View Post
Yep, the most common way would be to pre-install it to the hard drive using an emulator. It's easy in principle, though people who are new to both Amigas and emulators can find it a struggle. You should have a head start if you were able to run that BlizzPPC tower setup back in the day
Cheers, definitely not new to either so hopefully I should be ok!
Old 11 November 2014, 23:27   #10
crazyc

I am sure there is a great guide either here or on Amibay that walks you through exactly that.

EDIT: Here you go : http://www.amibay.com/showthread.php...e-from-scratch
AdSense AdSense