English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 10 December 2002, 01:29   #41
stainy
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to stainy Send a message via MSN to stainy
Fta2

I would of liked a Faery Tale Adventure 2 on the Amiga.. I know there was one for the pc.. but it lost it`s charm a little..
AdSense AdSense  
Old 10 December 2002, 01:45   #42
oldpx

I loved Baldur's Gate 1. I bought that game knowing nothing about it and played it for YEARS. It's as good as an old goldbox rpg. All baldur's gate games are good but the first one is the best.

Baldur 2 had a problem though, the storyline wasn't set controled by the player. Quests were sometimes forced upon you and you couldn't travel anywhere on the game world when you wanted to. It was way too linear than BG1.

Other games made with baldur's gate's engine are icewind dale 1,2 their expansions and planescape:torment are different gameplay-wise but entertaining as well.

Last edited by Burseg; 10 December 2002 at 11:40.

Old 10 December 2002, 09:19   #43
Drake1009

As I never really play cRPG games and really haven't gotten into one since I played Pools of Darkness and Ultima underworld I haven't tried Baldur's gate...well that's actually not quite true. Tried that one in multiplayer once with someone who loved the game and thought it was too bad I hadn't played it. We took 3 (count them, three) hours to get to the Friendly arms inn first time over because I didn't want to use a statbooster while he wanted to at least have decent stats when we reached the inn so we could easily dispatch the encounters so he had us running around slaughtering random encounters for a couple of hours.
Old 10 December 2002, 09:27   #44
KnucklesD

My sequel of the moment is the Deflektor 2 (Amiga) someone mentioned elsewhere. Somebody can go dig that up and I won't mind a bit. There's a good chap. *pat pat*

Old 10 December 2002, 21:52   #45
Syko
Now got GSX750F :))

Cadaver using the Neverwinter Nights game Engine..... lush!

BEGIN !!NAME DROP ALERT!!
Metriod - mate from school was a programmer on this one; Mark H-H now lives in Texas with wife & two kids.
END !!NAME DROP ALERT!!

Settlers - other than the name was there any conection with what came after?? I'm still playing it on the A4000 for hours at a time and it's still time eatingly good. Don't know of any gfx engine I'd like to see it with though, just more detail, better res, better sound.

Populous - with Civ III style gfx.

Alien Breed - Tower Assault - 3D using UT2003 engine

Stunt Car Racer - using latest Colin McRae Rally game engine
Old 10 December 2002, 22:00   #46
Drake1009

If I knew how to make mods for UT2k3 and I actually felt it was worth investing in I would at least give it a shot at making a mod for UT2k3 to follow the alien breed series.

Sadly I only know Java, and I doubt that UT2k3 would run in that. Otherwise great idea. I know that there is a mod for UT which lets you play Unreal levels or create single player campaigns. I wonder if they'll port that to UT2k3. Then it'd be a matter of skinning, level designing and scripting

How about chaos engine. UT2k3 makes nice outdoor landscapes as well as far as I can see.
Old 10 December 2002, 22:04   #47
Syko

what you need is the UT2k3 SDK, you'll probably get it on the game CD. If not, download from UT2k3 site.

Chaos Engine would go better with the Serious Sam 2 engine, if I could draw anything better than a bent stick figure then I'd have a go myself.
Old 10 December 2002, 22:10   #48
oldpx

Quote:
Cadaver using the Neverwinter Nights game Engine..... lush!
The engine is the weakest part of the game. It's not scalable as it's claimed, there is no sky, strange view angles (though hacks are available), below average graphics, stupid interface. The good thing about NWN is, it's a digital alternative to pen&paper rpg and is very funny on a lan. Perhaps cadaver can be created as a mod but will it be as cool?

Old 10 December 2002, 22:13   #49
oldpx

Quote:
Populous - with Civ III style gfx.
A better one is already made. Have you checked Black&White? I can't say I love it but it is a quality game.

Old 10 December 2002, 22:59   #50
Syko

B&W is a fine game, but Civ III has iso-view like Populous so should be easy to implement

NwN - looks nice - running down corridors the torches flicker as you pass them - if that's below average, what do you want? (OK I've got every gfx setting on full & 1280x1024 on 17" mon)

Runs smoothly, no "view point problems" that I've seen, though most are due to people not changing the view point/angle when needed - overhead, 3rd person over shoulder or free.

So it's not scaleable, and? Does this matter? There's no sky - no sky in cadaver either.

Stupid interface, hmmm, I found it to be as intuative as such a complex control system can be made, and that if you learn basic combat/spell moves it doesn't get in the way of the game play - unless you're trying somthing complicated in the middle of a battle, in which case use the pause, and take your time (which probably wouldn't work with multiplayer anyway).

Not tried it on a LAN so can't comment.

Cadaver is an iso-view real time RPG. NwN is a 3D real time RPG, which is how I'd like to see Cadaver
Old 10 December 2002, 23:55   #51
oldpx

I'm very disappointed with the way NWN looks. Polygon count of objects, especially environments are low for today's standards. I use 1024x768 on a 19" monitor but it's not what I mean. Compare it to morrowind and you'll see (though morrowind's models could be better too). view angle doesn't let you play _into_ the game an you rather _look at_ the game world. It was ok with baldur's gate since it was a 2d game with a fixed camera but nwn is actually 3d and I feel I HAVE to be able to change the camera angle a little bit more. This is possible with a hack but a hack is a hack and you get a black sky this way, there is a sky hack but doesn't work with my setup of the game, in short this is bad game design. I had the same feeling about the camera playing phantom menace. A way to hack the camera angle with that game is announced too, this proves there is a problem locking the camera at that specific angle. Overhead looks outdated, I feel like playing gauntlet this way
The problem about the interface is, it is meant to interfere w,th the gameplay as little as possible thus is transparent but windows aren't resizable or draggable and it feels like they pop at some random location and remain that way until you close them.

That pause function is cool but many games have it since the release og BG. I see your point about the connection between cadaver and NWN but Im trying to say NWN is not as good to become an "ideal" engine.Cadaver is better than NWN in it's own day's standards.

Old 11 December 2002, 00:42   #52
Jan

I'd like to see a sequel to my beloved Great Giana Sisters . Not in crappy 3D, just a classic 2D jump'n'run with a lot of levels, nice graphics, great Hülsbeck sound and more mean enemies
Old 11 December 2002, 00:54   #53
Drake1009

Why not use the old Baldur's gate engine (what was that, infinity??) for Cadaver then? 2d. better graphics and probably about the same options if you find a construction set for it.
Old 11 December 2002, 00:58   #54
NytroX86

The problem is Baldur's Gate isn't designed with mods in mind. I knw there are a few very good efforts (Darkest Day?) but generally making a NwN mod would be easier, as after all NwN was designed exactly so people could make there own mods and be a 'Dungeon Master'.
But I agree BG is a better engine, I just think it would be difficult

@Burseg
I agree the one of the worst differences between BG1 and BG2 was the removal of all the inbetween town areas. I used to like exploring the pathways and going off course to the coastline etc. In BG2 you only really got to visit a place if it had a major quest, until later in the game when the small forests appear.

Old 11 December 2002, 01:10   #55
oldpx

There is an unofficial expansion named dark side of the sword coast but it sucks ass because the designers had no clue on how to design a game. They are the guys that discovered how to hack into infinity engine and modify things but game design is another story. That expansion is funny. You rest in wilderness only to be awakened by twelve well armed and high level half orc fighters under the effect of haste spell no matter what level you are, see dopplegangers tinted green and are renamed to troll (!!!) etc...

But infinity engine itself is good

Old 11 December 2002, 01:37   #56
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Quote:
Settlers - other than the name was there any conection with what came after?? I'm still playing it on the A4000 for hours at a time and it's still time eatingly good. Don't know of any gfx engine I'd like to see it with though, just more detail, better res, better sound.
The Settlers 2 is a lot similar to the 1st one, but with better gfx, a decent campaign, and more different units.

The Settlers 3, from what I saw, seemed to play more like Ages of Empires..

I still have to see the 4th one.
Old 11 December 2002, 08:56   #57
Drake1009

Settlers2 was indeed a lot like Settlers 1 as you said Shatterhand. But while it gained better graphics and wildlife it sort of lost something at the same time. I too spent a lot of time playing Settlers 1 while I didn't really touch settlers 2.
Old 11 December 2002, 11:44   #58
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Well, I played the 2nd one as much as the 1st one... I personally prefer the 2nd one.
Old 11 December 2002, 12:33   #59
7-Zark-7
Zone Friend

Cool

@Syko. Glad to see a 3rd vote to my suggestion of Stunt Car Racer!
Though the GFX would naturally be much better, don't you think that Geoff Crammond could improve the gameplay a tad though?
I'd like to see more realistic A.I. on the CPU drivers for example? Even kamikaze assualts on the CPU car usually failed to see it off the track, & it certainly was too brilliant to ever crash itself!

Of course there's the obligatory multiplayer options. But I'd like to see even multiple cars compete, say a 3 car challange, it'd allow more competition & random outcomes. And how about multiple track directions for a race-the more risk you're willing to take you could short cut the "conservative route". And there have to be a 360degree turn somewhere!!
Old 12 December 2002, 21:06   #60
Syko

Sure, all the games could do with a tweak here and there, and I wouldn't say my choices for the game engines are the best possible either. But I'm compairing the look and feel of modern games, with the gameplay and fun of old ones.

I definately agree about the AI in SCR though!
AdSense AdSense