English Amiga Board Amiga Lore

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 22 October 2014, 06:57   #1
doodles

Question Keyboard won't type some letters in games

Hi everyone,

I just discovered WinUAE and have spent the past 4 hours or so trying to configure it to work so that we can play some of the old games we used to enjoy on our Amiga 1200.

At this point I'll say I already wrote out a long post but pressed the submit button and lost it all so I'll try to keep it a bit shorter this time!

I've managed to get a custom keyboard layout configured so that Z = left, X = right, ' = up, / = down and Enter = fire. These were the controls we used to use back in the day and are therefore the ones we find easiest to use.

The only game I have so far is Qwak and after a lot of trial and error, I finally managed to get the controls working as I wanted.

Unfortunately, the keys I chose no longer work when trying to type normally e.g. when trying to enter a name in the high-score table.

I wondered if it was something to do with my custom keyboard layout only having 1 line for 'Launch Manager' for each key, whereas the default keyboard layouts have 2 lines i.e. 'Launch Manager' and also 'WinUAE null keyboard'. To test this theory, I tried choosing Keyboard C but found I couldn't type W, S, A or D in the high-score table.

So to my questions:

1) Is it possible to choose letter/number keys as controls but also still have them work normally to enter text?

2) If so how? And if not, why can't this be done given that the Amiga could do it?

3) Why do the keys in the default keyboard layouts have 2 lines for each key ('Launch Manager' & 'WinUAE null keyboard') when the keys I chose for my custom keyboard only had a single line for 'Launch Manager'? What's the difference?

I hope all this makes sense!

I'm beginning to wonder if it wouldn't have been easier to find the Amiga in the attic but I read that the floppy disks could have become corrupted after all these years and we don't have the space to set up more electronic equipment at the moment either!

AdSense AdSense  
Old 22 October 2014, 08:57   #2
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodles View Post
1) Is it possible to choose letter/number keys as controls but also still have them work normally to enter text?
Assuming you used input panel to remap keys. Just remap same key to both operations (joystick and normal key), small select box that shows values 1-8 are input event slots (can have max 8 input events in same input target)

If you used gameports panel, you can manually add more Amiga input targets to single input source.

There is also hidden config file entry that allows remapped keyboard key to still also have original key mapping. (Which is off by default because many programs use keyboard, it would only cause confusion). GUI option is now possible, this was second request for this feature

Quote:
2) If so how? And if not, why can't this be done given that the Amiga could do it?
Real hardware couldn't do it (keyboard = hardware joystick emulation) unless you had some extra hardware that did it or game had support for keyboard input.

Quote:
3) Why do the keys in the default keyboard layouts have 2 lines for each key ('Launch Manager' & 'WinUAE null keyboard') when the keys I chose for my custom keyboard only had a single line for 'Launch Manager'? What's the difference?
null keyboard is only for receiving Windows injected input events that don't come from any physical keyboard (like software based input mapping). You can ignore it.

Quote:
I'm beginning to wonder if it wouldn't have been easier to find the Amiga in the attic but I read that the floppy disks could have become corrupted after all these years and we don't have the space to set up more electronic equipment at the moment either!
Possibly easier but more reliable, I think

WinUAE is designed to be nearly 100% configurable for any kind of (even very stupid) purposes. It makes it very complex.
Old 22 October 2014, 22:13   #3
doodles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
Assuming you used input panel to remap keys. Just remap same key to both operations (joystick and normal key), small select box that shows values 1-8 are input event slots (can have max 8 input events in same input target)

If you used gameports panel, you can manually add more Amiga input targets to single input source.

There is also hidden config file entry that allows remapped keyboard key to still also have original key mapping. (Which is off by default because many programs use keyboard, it would only cause confusion). GUI option is now possible, this was second request for this feature
Hi Toni,

Thanks for your reply.

I couldn't figure out how to use the Input panel so just used the Game ports panel and clicked the 'remap' button.

Are there any easy-to-understand instructions anywhere to help me achieve what I'm trying to do? It took me hours to figure out how to remap the keys in the first place but haven't been able to get any further!

Last edited by doodles; 22 October 2014 at 22:14. Reason: spelling

Old 22 October 2014, 23:17   #4
doodles

So after more trial and error, I seem to have figured it out!

Now to try another game to see if my settings still work!

Fingers crossed!

AdSense AdSense