English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 19 October 2014, 01:11   #21
Kola

arggggggggg Who the hell can be bothered with this? I just want to run Octamed sigh!

Ok, the latest latest latest problem is at 3:25 of the video his CF card shows up. Mine doesn't. At all. Yet the Work folder is all there.

Any of you fellas know whats up.

I must say, I greatly appreciate the help so far.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 19 October 2014, 01:14   #22
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Send a message via Skype™ to Retrofan
Ups! I think the video is missing the part where you change the Install floppy to be used on WinUAE. Wait a minute and I'll search for some help with this.

This guide: http://wiki.classicamiga.com/How_to_..._within_WinUAE

I think he has missed this part:

Loading HDToolbox
Put the WB3.X install adf into the WinUAE DF0: drive (make sure you untick write-protected) and boot WinUAE.
It should boot into Workbench.
Open the ADF/floppy disk (normally called Install3.1).
Open the HDTools drawer.
Click ONCE on the HDToolbox icon to select it.
Now right click and select Information from the Icon menu. This should bring up a new window.
In this new window, in the tooltypes section it should have a line saying: SCSI_DEVICE_NAME=scsi.device
Change this to: SCSI_DEVICE_NAME=uaehf.device (make sure you press return)

Now close the window by clicking OK
Double click the HDToolbox icon.
Old 19 October 2014, 01:18   #23
Kola

Thanks man, your a diamond!

Ive tried a few things but it makes no difference.
Old 19 October 2014, 01:28   #24
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Use that last guide, the video missed that part surely because he already had the Install floppy (adf) changed.
Old 19 October 2014, 01:30   #25
Kola

Hi Retrofan,

I followed what you said but it hasn't worked. Its bizarre as the Work drive shows up on my workbench desktop so I would have thought that was the CF card?

Mate its late here and to be honest I bloody hate computers. Im only in this for Octamed. Its getting to be too much hassle to be honest.

I may just pay someone a tenner or whatever.

Well, thats a night of my life gone I won't get back.

Big thanks to all of you that helped. I really appreciate your time. Now, I'm going to bed before I tear my hair out.
Old 19 October 2014, 02:01   #26
Arnie
R.I.P Smudge 18-08-16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrofan View Post

In this new window, in the tooltypes section it should have a line saying: SCSI_DEVICE_NAME=scsi.device
Change this to: SCSI_DEVICE_NAME=uaehf.device (make sure you press return)

If he's using a real HD then leave the SCSI_DEVICE_NAME as scsi.device

uaehf.device is for hardfiles.
Old 19 October 2014, 02:28   #27
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
Drive is fully available if you see it in Add Harddrive list and read-write checkbox is not disabled.

HDtoolbox only looks for scsi.device. Configure exactly same configuration in WinUAE as your real Amiga (A1200 + A1200 KS ROM + Chipset extra = A1200) and mount the CF as "IDE0" (not "UAE")

Or change hdtoolbox tooltypes or include device name in command line (uaehf.device = "UAE" HD controller)

Note that using UAE driver can hide some problems (until you install it on your real Amiga) due to driver feature differences (>4G support etc..)
Old 19 October 2014, 13:55   #28
Arnie
R.I.P Smudge 18-08-16

Well you can't argue with the master but, I always use IDE0 for actual Harddrives, and if it doesn't work in WinUAE then I know I'm going to have problems with real hardware. But if it works for you then, great!

@Kola

I would suggest you purchase a card from Amigakit, it's already formatted and all you need are the WB disks to activate it.

Alternately, I'm not doing anything for the next 2 weeks (off sick) so if you want to send me the card with an S.A.E, I'll set it up for you on my stock A1200.
Old 19 October 2014, 17:01   #29
Kola

Hi Guys, just calmed down enough now to turn my computer back on lol

Arnie - That is a very generous offer I may well take you up on. I have set tonight free to see if I can get to the bottom of it. Then Ill give you a shout. Again, big TY Oh, and get well soon mate.

To everyone, just to clarify, I must stress I have zero interest in Win UAE. Im simply wanting to fit my A1200 up with a hard drive. I understand winUAE can be used as a means to an ends to achieve this, but once my A1200 breaths, my interest in WinUAE ends.

With such an extensive community like this Im surprised no one or even the site itself doesn't offer an image file for download. Then an end user such as myself would simply apply that image file to my CF card. The site could even charge a quid a turn. A way to get new members and funding?

Seems nuts folks like myself having to keep repeating this step over and over. Im guessing there is a reason thought that I cannot yet see.
Old 19 October 2014, 17:41   #30
Arnie
R.I.P Smudge 18-08-16

The obvious reason is that not all 4GB CF cards are created equally. While an Image created on a particular 4GB CF card will write back to that card it's not a given that it will write back to any 4GB CF card.
Old 19 October 2014, 19:08   #31
ajk

I'd say an even more obvious reason is that Workbench remains copyrighted, so you can't legally distribute a completed install. While the public in general probably doesn't care about such matters with over 20 year old software, the Amiga forums do largely abide by it.
Old 19 October 2014, 19:52   #32
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnie View Post
The obvious reason is that not all 4GB CF cards are created equally. While an Image created on a particular 4GB CF card will write back to that card it's not a given that it will write back to any 4GB CF card.
This is exactly what I've been trying to explain on PM!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajk View Post
I'd say an even more obvious reason is that Workbench remains copyrighted, so you can't legally distribute a completed install. While the public in general probably doesn't care about such matters with over 20 year old software, the Amiga forums do largely abide by it.
This too!

@Kola,

And besides, why should someone give for free or 'a quid' work that takes several hours?

As I told you on PM there are a lot of eBay sellers who offer ready setup solutions, whilst personally I would not recommend them it offers a means to and end for users who would otherwise struggle.
Old 19 October 2014, 20:38   #33
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

My suggestion: You say you don't like to use WinUAE. Then get a set of 3.1 floppy disks (there are only second hand ones I believe) and also a pcmcia to transfer files. If you like to make all in the amiga make the installation with Fitzsteve's guide with the floppies.

There is a problem with the pcmcia at first because you will have to copy to your amiga the file system you want to use, and you surely will have to install first the 3.1 OS, then add the pcmcia files to the amiga (with floppys) so it can work and then you will be able to copy the files of the File System to the pcmcia ... so then you will have to install again 3.1 with the new File System. Thatīs why itīs better to make it all on WinUAE. But well, you can use FFS that comes as default File System and you are done with just the set of floppy disks to install it all.

Last edited by Retrofan; 19 October 2014 at 21:25.
Old 19 October 2014, 21:06   #34
Kola

Arnie -

I see, I hadn't thought of the copyright implications.

Fitssteve -

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arnie View Post

This is exactly what I've been trying to explain on PM!
It is very unfair to say you have been trying to tell me this stuff by PM. The PMs are very vague at best. You have my permission to cut and paste them here to see what others think. You have to remember I am an absolute beginner.

To be fair you didn't explain very well anything that has been discussed by Retro or Arnie. . Again please remember I am brand new to this and admit I dont even like computers. I simply want to use octamed, hence me Pming you for help on seeing your YouTube vid.

Correct me where I go wrong but after comments in this thread, I am starting to get the picture that a 4 gig card may have slight differences in card sizes? IE some are a little over and some are not quite 4 gig? If this is the case no where in our PMs was this explained.

Naturally an end user such as myself would assume a 4 gig card is 4 gigs in size.

Quote:
And besides, why should someone give for free or 'a quid' work that takes several hours?
Eh? I originally contacted you offering to pay for a service you advertise all over the internet including on your you tube video. Its more than a quid. A Tenner I thought and thats what I offered you. I was only following instruction from your video.

My idea to for the forum to sell an image for Ģ1 to generate money for the forum doesn't equate to Ģ1 profit for several hours of work either??

A quid for several hour work is admittedly shocking. (although try being am musician and giving all your music away free, each composition takes months!)

If 1000 people download the image then at Ģ1 per head that generates Ģ1000 for the forum.

Ģ1000 for several hours work? Not bad in my book.

However, now I understand why now this cannot be so.
Old 19 October 2014, 22:01   #35
ajk

No one is trying to make your life harder, but you have to consider that all this is attempting to interface a modern day solution to a 20-25 year old computer. It simply isn't always so straightforward that you could just follow some simple three step instructions (many attempts have been made towards such, but as we can see, it's difficult).

You have to understand what you are doing and how to adapt stuff to any given situation. Back when Amiga users where setting these things up over twenty years ago, asking for help on the internet wasn't really an option!
Old 19 October 2014, 22:07   #36
Kola

ajk, I was one of those amiga users setting things up. Iowned my first amiga in the 80s. An A500. I made music using Protracker. Used to spend my life playing Turrican and Alien Breed and Utopia (that not many remember sadly)

My a1200 what I upgraded too on its release came with a 120 meg hard drive thankfully. Eventually it failed and it wasn't replaced. I just stuck to floppies.

I just hoped with the advances in computing technology things could be more streamlined these days. Unfortunately unless you eat and breath computers this is a none starter.

Luckily thanks to strong support from this very forum Arnie has offered to do this for me. A offer I am truly grateful and would like the opportunity to publicly say so.
Old 19 October 2014, 22:14   #37
ajk

Things are more streamlined for newer computers but that doesn't mean it carries over to the old ones Stuff gets phased out and there isn't always a direct replacement, so it often just gets more complex.

You could get your Amiga set up by a professional back then, just as you can now, nothing has changed for the worse in that regard.
Old 19 October 2014, 22:30   #38
Kola

Yeah very true. I used to use the talents of a local computer shop.
Old 19 October 2014, 23:31   #39
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
Hi Kola, I've responded to about a dozen of your PM's and said serval times that not all 4 gb cf's are the same size. As i said I'm more than happy to give you an image if you can tell me the exact size in bytes of your cf.

Sorry my messages are short, I have very little time these days and I'm posting mostly from tapatalk on my mobile.

I even offered to send you workbench disks for free so why do hostile?

If you still want them I'll send them tomorrow as promised.

I'm sorry I just don't have the time to give you one to one support in depth, I work two jobs and have a family.

On a side note, I'm not asking money for the disks or the image, it was only if you sent me your cf I would ask you to pay for the setup.

Last edited by fitzsteve; 19 October 2014 at 23:42.
Old 19 October 2014, 23:53   #40
Kola

Fits steve I dont think we communicate effectively at all.

I am not being hostile in any way. Im just explaining my position here. I am very thankful for your help in all of this. It was your idea that I start this thread.

I had no idea all 4 GB CF cards are not the same size. I still cant understand the logic in this. Its like buying a red apple and it be blue. Whats the point of calling them 4 gig, especially if its so important to its function.

I am sorry you feel my reply is hostile. This is not how I intended it to be. To the point yes, but not hostile.
AdSense AdSense