English Amiga Board Amiga Lore

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 21 January 2015, 15:01   #21
Nibbler
nam nam nam

Quote:
Originally Posted by watsonfmly View Post
I remember seeing Windows floppy disks at a friends house (he was using them for blanks, it must have been 1.0). I asked "what is that", he said "it's like Workbench for a PC".

Btw, I had an IBM PS/2 model 30. As soon as I saw an Amiga (playing the Newtek demo), I sold my IBM and bought an Amiga 500. That was the best decision I ever made.

I know what you mean

We had an PC10/ or PC20 (dont remember) ( 1986 ) ...
Then ... i saw an Amiga...

I could not believe it.
It was a Quantum leap... and my jaw dropped.

The Sound, The Graphics, A Mouse, Joysticks.. ,plug and play,
No commands, The Games, The Apps O M F G !!!!!! * MINDBLOWN *

I sold the Pc and got an A-500. it was just to awesome to describe !!!!

Nibbler was in heaven

Last edited by Nibbler; 21 January 2015 at 17:36. Reason: Spelling error
AdSense AdSense  
Old 21 January 2015, 15:11   #22
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

I moved from Germany to USA back in 1995 - sold my A500+ with HD and monitor, and moved to use hopping to get A1200HD.... but to my big surprise, not much of Amiga computers hardware and software in USA. (note at the time Commodore was already for all purpose dead company)

Thus, I got PC compatible computer with Pentium processor.

I was never sure what has happened to all Amigas and how come it was not as popular computer as in Europe.

One thing also to note, while in Germany there were video stores holding amiga/pc games as well stores that lets you rent games for various formats, there was nothing similar to that in USA. You could get console games, as some mentioned, even cable provider had Genesis hooked up to network for game downloads... wired...
Old 21 January 2015, 15:29   #23
lordofchaos
TinkerTailorContentMaker

It's what Galahad said. Over in Europe we had already warmed to the home computer with the old 8-bit machines and once they started to fade people were hungry for more. Also marketing can only go so far, word of mouth and proof of concept are definitely a factor too.

In our art department at school we had the Archimedes with it's basic paint program, when I bought the Amiga 500 to school the art teachers jaw hit the ground, DPaint to her was like witchcraft, it blew her mind when I presented it's animation and perspective functions. Her response, "we must have one of these!". Too late though, already invested in the Archimedes.

I think companies like IBM had the right approach, get your foot in the door with a business machine and grow from there (a perfect breathing space to weather the storm), Commodore never got the traction in that area because it ended up being known more as a games machine.
Old 21 January 2015, 15:55   #24
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

Amiga was business machine in USA, even some were used until recently by no other then NASA. Also all those weather images toast machines etc... Problem in USA with anything by IBM compatible was software base... amiga did not have good and at good price office package, same thing Apple lacked until MS released MS Office for Mac. That and rest of business programs such as databases etc... even in Germany at work we had PC with DOS and DBase. Used to joke with my boss at the time that my Amiga blows his home PC away, until he got it upgraded to 16MB memory and I saw x-wing running... that moment amiga felt outdated... Soon after that you had games that were far better on PC, like C&C, Warcraft, new LucasArts adventures were PC only and soon after that CD compatible. (The Dig, Full Throttle etc.)

Europe had bit behind console market, but I don't think that was only reason 8 bit flourished there, it was more about option to make your own computer, that I never seen in USA. People here don't like that much to make stuff themselves... Michael Dell exploited that, droped from school and made Dell company...
Old 21 January 2015, 16:03   #25
lordofchaos
TinkerTailorContentMaker

I'd be really interested in knowing the actual percentages of companies/schools/academic institutes that used the Amiga/PC, I wouldn't be surprised if the PC won out by a large margin. We can all name places that used either but what are the numbers and can we ever obtain them in any reliable way?
Old 21 January 2015, 17:05   #26
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

My buddy google said to check here, but apparently greedy b@#$*# require 10 bucks to get timeline... with little to no possibility to get numbers we are looking for...

http://pctimeline.info/amiga/

Last edited by Anubis; 21 January 2015 at 17:32.
Old 21 January 2015, 19:24   #27
lordofchaos
TinkerTailorContentMaker

Hmmm, that's a shame. I suppose the info is out there somewhere, scattered across the internet. And even then it would take a huge effort to bring it all together into one cohesive package.
Old 22 January 2015, 01:23   #28
saimon69
Bedroom musician

Well Amiga IMO at the end in the US found its killer niche with the Toaster and lightwave but was a bit late to save it...
Old 22 January 2015, 05:38   #29
mc6809e

Blame superior Atari marketing in the USA. I remember many of my friends excitedly buying STs a few months before the Amiga came out.

I tried to tell them to wait, but Atari was successfully convincing people that the ST was just a cheaper Amiga.
Old 22 January 2015, 10:17   #30
Sandro
Banned

in the time the Amiga was popular in Europe in the USA the popular computer was the Apple II

the masters of Doom ie john Carmack, john Romero etc all learned to code in the Apple II first, the firsts games they coded were for the apple II

The apple II was the common computer in the secondary and Universities, then the PC started to become popular due the new VGA cards and soundblasters etc

in the USA up to 1991 the apple II ruled, from 1992 and later the PC was the king, the AMiga in the USA was the computer only for a few fans
Old 22 January 2015, 11:04   #31
Hewitson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandro View Post
in the USA up to 1991 the apple II ruled, from 1992 and later the PC was the king, the AMiga in the USA was the computer only for a few fans
I'm not sure about that. The Amiga may not have been hugely successful in the USA, but the C64 certainly was.
Old 22 January 2015, 11:18   #32
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewitson View Post
I'm not sure about that. The Amiga may not have been hugely successful in the USA, but the C64 certainly was.
But only as a gaming machine I guess? The Apple II would have been for all purposes and thus also penetrated into schooling systems. And because that's where people were introduced to programming for the first time, I don't find it hard to believe that the Apple II reigned supreme.

Funny enough in the Netherlands I saw the MSX a whole lot in schools before the PC started to become a common thing.
Old 24 January 2015, 05:54   #33
Sandro
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
But only as a gaming machine I guess? The Apple II would have been for all purposes and thus also penetrated into schooling systems. And because that's where people were introduced to programming for the first time, I don't find it hard to believe that the Apple II reigned supreme.

Funny enough in the Netherlands I saw the MSX a whole lot in schools before the PC started to become a common thing.
here before the PC, the common computers in schools were the spectrum instead MSX, (specially the 128k spectrum done by Investronica )
Old 24 January 2015, 08:42   #34
Bamiga2002
BlizzardPPC'less

Send a message via MSN to Bamiga2002
Why, but I read the thread title as
"why c-usa never liked the Amiga?"
Old 24 January 2015, 14:10   #35
Vot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewitson View Post

I always find it ironic it was never popular in the usa given that it was a usa invention
Old 26 March 2015, 04:21   #36
turrican3
Moon 1969 = amiga 1985

I'm sure that if the amiga was sold in usa like in europe the future could have been different.
AdSense AdSense