English Amiga Board Amiga Lore

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 07 October 2014, 18:49   #21
hnn

I was able to make it smooth, but... with a few "issues".

I figured out how to force my monitor to 50hz, through nVidia control panel settings. I made a custom resolution. Then I put WinUAE to 50hz PAL + vsync and it is smooth as silk.

But:
- The result is not as sharp, it is a little bit "out of focus", but I can live with it.

- For some reason I can make this custom resolution up to 1280 x 720, not larger.

- With this WinUAE runs OK, but only as WINDOWED. If I try to use "full window" or "fullscreen", it gets as stuttery as ever.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 07 October 2014, 20:08   #22
Cobe

I'm usually having the same issue. But I always thought its lack of cpu power, AMD Athlon XP 2600+ and as I use WinUAE just for testing before using on real hardware I never bothered myself too much. It happens that with some configurations issue kind a disappears but I can't point them out with which one, I forgot, it's not simple cpu dependent. For a while I'm settled that's just the way it is. The same issue happends on my MSI Wind and its even bigger and nastier although I thought it would be otherwise on "dualcore"... maybe integrated soundcards are the one to be blamed...
Old 08 October 2014, 14:40   #23
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL Send a message via Skype™ to FOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobe View Post
I'm usually having the same issue. But I always thought its lack of cpu power, AMD Athlon XP 2600+ and as I use WinUAE just for testing before using on real hardware I never bothered myself too much. It happens that with some configurations issue kind a disappears but I can't point them out with which one, I forgot, it's not simple cpu dependent. For a while I'm settled that's just the way it is. The same issue happends on my MSI Wind and its even bigger and nastier although I thought it would be otherwise on "dualcore"... maybe integrated soundcards are the one to be blamed...

Im not sure on this, as it runs fine on my AMD 2x 2200 Athlon 64QL with embedded NB RadeonHD 3200. It sucks, but manages to run WinUAE at native resolution fine with no sound issues.
Old 08 October 2014, 16:16   #24
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Many old Athlon dual core CPU based systems had timer bug that caused QueryPerformanceCounter() to return different values depending on which core executed the call. This caused all kinds of mysterious side-effects.

Easiest test was to force WinUAE to use only single core (windows task manager -> affinity -> single checkbox).
Old 14 October 2014, 03:29   #25
Cobe

I checked. On my MSI Wind (XP sp3, WinUAE Public Beta 15, 2014.09.10) if it waits for blitter there is stuttering if I check immediate blitter in chipset options there's no stuttering.
Old 14 October 2014, 19:34   #26
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobe View Post
I checked. On my MSI Wind (XP sp3, WinUAE Public Beta 15, 2014.09.10) if it waits for blitter there is stuttering if I check immediate blitter in chipset options there's no stuttering.
Sorry but this helps no one without knowing the original config and including both SND% and CPU% value when there is sound problem (It must be always included!) and if less compatible config already runs better.

Your problem is most likely totally different than OPs. Nearly _everything_ that slows down emulation, even a tiny bit, will break the sound first. No one notices slightly frame speed difference (without really looking for it or without vsync), everyone hears the sound side-effect immediately.

I still blame the extremely common (when the CPU was new) AMD Athlon XP bug.
AdSense AdSense