English Amiga Board Amiga Lore

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 01 December 2002, 03:10   #1
PacDude

WinUAE Stuck in PAL; NTSC setting won't work

I just downloaded the latest WinUAE (0.8.22) and I cannot get the emulator to come up in anything but PAL anymore. I select NTSC on the "Output" Menu and select 640x480 to play games (e.g. Deluxe Galaga, which finally seems to work right here so far) and my Workbench comes up in PAL, but with the bottom cut off. Even though I selected NTSC, the Output Menu now shows PAL selected. Selecting NTSC again doesn't do any good. It just goes right back to PAL.

I can tell it's in PAL because the bottom of the screen is cut off (e.g. Windows can move down below the visible display and in Deluxe Galaga my ship isn't visible). Sure I can select 800x600 and see the full display, but then I've got essentially a "window" within the rest of the 800x600 frame that isn't used (i.e. the game doesn't fill the monitor).

I have a real Amiga 3000 (NTSC; I live in the US) and I've moved all my stuff over to the emulator, but it's disappointing to see I can't use the emulated machine as an NTSC one and while I don't mind using PAL mode, I don't like having to use 800x600 to display it properly. I see there is an OpenGL option, but my sound tends to stutter when I turn it on and it doesn't look as clean as without it.

My PC is a 1GHz PIII with a Radeon 7500 and a Hercules Game Theater XP sound card and 288 MB of ram.

Also, I've noticed that the emulator is significantly slower than the last version I've used (0.8.8 I believe). Using SysInfo, I used to get just over Amiga 3000 speed in its Speed Test when I had a 400MHz Celeron. With the 1GHz upgrade I did, it now reads 2.56 times A3000 speed while the newer WinUAE reads 0.89 times Amiga 3000 speed and that's with the CPU slider set towards CPU. With the 'Fastest but keep chip cycles' setting, I get like 2x Amiga 600 speed (yuck).

On the bright side, games like Archon and Deluxe Galaga now seem to work as long as I put the emulator on Full Collision (and in Archon's case use 1.2 with the appropriate Ram settings to simulate an older model A500). A lot of my games that stopped working when I got my real A3000 are now playable again thanks to WinUAE.

I haven't tried WinFellow yet; how is it coming along? I have an old Dos version of Fellow, but I haven't checked the progress of WinFellow in a long time. How does it compare?

AdSense AdSense  
Old 01 December 2002, 10:56   #2
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
Re: WinUAE Stuck in PAL; NTSC setting won't work

Quote:
Originally posted by PacDude
I just downloaded the latest WinUAE (0.8.22) and I cannot get the emulator to come up in anything but PAL anymore. I select NTSC on the "Output" Menu and select 640x480 to play games (e.g. Deluxe Galaga, which finally seems to work right here so far) and my Workbench comes up in PAL, but with the bottom cut off.
Now I can't hide a , sorry !!
I wonder if the Output menu isn't for AVI recording?

You have to select NTSC in the Chipset menu!
(screenshot)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	winuae.gif
Views:	482
Size:	7.2 KB
ID:	4186  
Old 01 December 2002, 10:59   #3
andreas
Zone Friend

just for you to have something to play with, here's an A500 NTSC config. I uploaded a game to the zone, Game of Harmony which will NOT work in PAL mode. So you can test if everything works O. K.
(NOTE: You need to register first to access the file.)

And try to use OpenGL mode. The stretching options are real great!
Attached Files
File Type: uae a500win_noopengl_640_480_ntsc.uae (6.1 KB, 173 views)
Old 01 December 2002, 12:20   #4
RCK
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by andreas
(NOTE: You need to register first to access the file.)
guest can download/see regular attachment like uae conf or pictures, they simply can not access to the zone.
Old 01 December 2002, 13:30   #5
andreas
Zone Friend

I know, it was actually about the game I upped there.
Old 11 December 2002, 03:37   #6
PacDude

Re: Re: WinUAE Stuck in PAL; NTSC setting won't work

Quote:
Originally posted by andreas
Now I can't hide a , sorry !!
I wonder if the Output menu isn't for AVI recording?

You have to select NTSC in the Chipset menu!
(screenshot)
Whoops. I guess I missed that bit and didn't figure it would be there since NTSC/PAL is just a jumper change to set the default on ECS and easily changed in software on my real A3000.

Does anyone have any suggestions about displayiong PAL modes correctly without having to use something like 800x600. Do I need to hack my video drivers or something? I'm amazed at how UNconfigurable PCs are when it comes to video these days. On my GVP Impact board, I could adjust the output of the video card really easily from the Cybergraphics retarg software so all the modes would fit the monitor (back then the monitor I was using didn't have digital memory like they all do these days).

My PC monitor broke last year and I hooked that old multi-sync up to my PC for awhile. Because it wasn't plug'n'play and I didn't have a settings driver for it, it would only default to basic 60Hz driver without trying to match one up or hack my own and changing resolutions meant things wouldn't be centered right. I'm guessing there are probably some tools out there to address things like that, but it's a shame good 'ole Bill Gates thinks were all idiots and don't need any real tools in Windows.

OpenGL seems to be the solution for everything screen related these days (sorry, but bilinear filtering just doesn't look the same plus I get choppy sound for some reason with it turned on here). Dos Mame could use custom video modes, for instance, but it wasn't much fun to setup by hand and you had to know what you were doing. Cybergraphics made things really simple on the Amiga for customizing the video output.

Old 11 December 2002, 10:23   #7
_Bnu

The only way you'd be able to display PAL modes in a resolution lower than 800x600 would be if you turned off pixel doubling and switched resolution to 320x256, since that's the default PAL resolution on an Amiga.

It'll look pixelated and stuff, but if you really want to use a lower resolution, you'd have to live with that.

AdSense AdSense