Old 06 November 2014, 19:18   #21
Etze
A500-Fan

It brings new icons!
AdSense AdSense  
Old 06 November 2014, 22:06   #22
Hercules
Beer monster

Just installed in FS-UAE. Super fast boot time! Its how C= should of released stock WB imho. Thanks for your hard work on this gulliver. I may stick this on my A1200 later on in the week
Old 17 November 2014, 13:01   #23
Dwyloc

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulliver View Post
BetterWB 3.8 24th September 2014

This is a new version of BetterWB workbench pack, that aims to be an enhancement, an updated extension to AmigaOS 3.1, without all those hardware requirements typically associated with these kind of packs. It is indeed a better 3.1 than 3.1 itself!

BetterWB works on any Amiga. It installs on top of a clean AmigaOS 3.1 installation. It is distributed as a set of floppy images and occupies about 10MB of harddrive space.
Thanks as always for the update.

Now for the anti feature request any chance of a low space install option, that does not install things like printer drivers and other such addon that are of less use on a low specification amiga with a harddisk size measured in megabytes rather than hundreds of megabytes or gigabytes.

The reason I ask is I use BetterWB on my 2MB A500 with a 100MB HD and my 1.5MB Minimig with an 80MB Hardfile, both of which now struggle to run the latest versions of BetterWB and don't really have 10MB's of space just for the operating system.

I am not saying don't add extra stuff that can be of use on expanded A1200's as I am sure its of use to lots of people just can we have a base install option, so use with more limited systems can still take advantage of the excellent bug fixes and modern icon support added by BetterWB.
Old 18 November 2014, 00:52   #24
gulliver
BoingBagged

@Dwyloc

I thought free HDD space not to be an issue in BetterWB. The story goes like this:
AmigaOS 3.1 requires about 2.5 MB of HDD space.
BetterWB install on top of the above mentioned 3.1 system, and adds just under 9 MB to it.

I really dont think it is a lot to generate troubles. But certainly, some space can be saved by:

not installing printer drivers -- 0.5 MB (aprox)
removing unused iconsets -- 0.5 MB (aprox)
deleting documentation -- 2.4 MB (aprox)

I dont think it is worth it. But then if you really need that space, I will see what can I do to add an option for tiny space setups, and save a whooping 3.4 MB
Old 18 November 2014, 13:01   #25
Dwyloc

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulliver View Post
@Dwyloc
I dont think it is worth it. But then if you really need that space, I will see what can I do to add an option for tiny space setups, and save a whooping 3.4 MB
Yes I know in todays world of Multi TB disks trying to save 3.4MB does feel a little odd. Even in the Amiga world I expect most people will take a GB of disk space or more.

But were you are running from 80MB disk and adding a larger disk requires upgrading the disk controllers ROM saving 3.4MB would allow you to install WordWorth2 or DPaint3 in the space saved :-)

But I quite agree for Most Users with a moderately expanded A1200 disk space is not likely to be an issue.
Old 19 November 2014, 04:07   #26
gulliver
BoingBagged

@Dwyloc

Okay, this is what I have done, and will be usable from BetterWB 3.9 onwards:

Wether you are upgrading from a previous version or installing from scratch, you will have a hidden option to save those 3.4 MB of HDD space I mentioned above. You just need to select the Window-> Show all workbench menu option when on the BetterWB upgrade floppy or on the first BetterWB install floppy (Misc3.1). Now you will see a drawer named ADVANCED. Inside it, there is a script that when executed frees the space. Remember to execute it after installing BetterWB.
Old 19 November 2014, 12:12   #27
Dwyloc

@gulliver
Perfect, thanks again for all your hard work.

As I said I can't really see many people using it but I expect there must be a few other A500 and A2000 users with limited disk space who may also fine saving a little disk save useful.
Old 24 November 2014, 21:52   #28
Genlock
BAA - Born Again Amigan

Hey Gulliver !
Just a quick note to say I love your latest BetterWB.
Mostly because it works great with Scala.IC and all the video screens i have tried up to now..

Great work buddy!
AdSense AdSense