English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 01 September 2014, 18:25   #41
Retro1234

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfrsilver View Post
i have traced thru the whole code Boo Boo, there is no blitter access in anyway in the game code of Amiga Black Tiger. no blitter wait, everything is software driven by the 68000.
Thanks for the reply and sorry for going off topic but CPU speed doesnt seem to affect most commercial games.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 02 September 2014, 02:53   #42
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
well a lot of amiga games are coded to use the hardware abilities. Any game driven by software only will be tied to the processor speed. This is the case here, and in other ST ports.
Old 04 September 2014, 20:00   #43
saimon69
Bedroom musician

Have the feeling is better to rewrite that one from scratch than to fix it, huh?
Old 04 September 2014, 23:12   #44
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

well that's almost the right thing to do yes.
Old 05 September 2014, 02:26   #45
leathered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boo Boo View Post
Silly question im sure - I guess there is some kind of blitter wait so no matter what speed the Amiga is the game is about the same - What about the Atari ST version if this was run on a Atari ST 68060 would it not run super fast.
Since it relies purely on the CPU, and ran super fast in WINUAE, then I'm pretty sure that the answer to the last question is yes.

My opinion on this...
Stingray hinted at a way to go earlier in some context - instead of drawing everything with the CPU you can make a new routine that will take all the data and use the blitter for drawing each frame. This sounds similar in concept to what 'Where Time Stood Still' does in 'blitter mode'.

I wouldn't worry about the colours, to me they are well adapted to 16 (at least the first level). No mean feat...

I agree that there is probably a half decent game hiding in there (you can get a taste of that through WINUAE), and to someone with the skills and the time (and I have neither, unfortunately) then theoretically there's a reasonable means to update this using the custom chips without doing the whole thing again.
Old 05 September 2014, 06:47   #46
Retro1234

Quote:
Originally Posted by leathered View Post
Since it relies purely on the CPU, and ran super fast in WINUAE, then I'm pretty sure that the answer to the last question is yes.

My opinion on this...
Stingray hinted at a way to go earlier in some context - instead of drawing everything with the CPU you can make a new routine that will take all the data and use the blitter for drawing each frame. This sounds similar in concept to what 'Where Time Stood Still' does in 'blitter mode'.
I have to admit ive not tested this game - but noticed a number of games dont seem to run significantly faster on higher CPUs

Thanks for the info I belive `Where Time Stood Still' runs faster in CPU mode than blit on higher CPUs.

So youve already got a speed increase on higher CPUs without waiting for the blit?

Last edited by Retro1234; 05 September 2014 at 06:54.
Old 05 September 2014, 10:59   #47
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Quote:
Originally Posted by leathered View Post
There is no blitter wait at all, because this game makes NO access to any custom chip (Blitter, copper, whatever).

So the answer can't be yes.

Quote:
My opinion on this... Stingray hinted at a way to go earlier in some context - instead of drawing everything with the CPU you can make a new routine that will take all the data and use the blitter for drawing each frame. This sounds similar in concept to what 'Where Time Stood Still' does in 'blitter mode'.
that would be fine, but it would be hard..... a game like BT should run at 50 fps on amiga, for that the whole video engine must be changed.

Quote:
I wouldn't worry about the colours, to me they are well adapted to 16 (at least the first level). No mean feat...
The color scheme is horrible. 32 colors is really the minimum for a game which such a big palette.

Quote:
I agree that there is probably a half decent game hiding in there (you can get a taste of that through WINUAE), and to someone with the skills and the time (and I have neither, unfortunately) then theoretically there's a reasonable means to update this using the custom chips without doing the whole thing again.
The game is half decent indeed , i think it would need quite a big amount of time of time to work out the whole thing
AdSense AdSense