English Amiga Board Amiga Lore

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 25 August 2014, 17:55   #1
Experiment T

Question Decent Amiga 1200 Setup?

I recently got an Amiga 1200 for free off an old friend of mine that had 2 of them. I opened it up to check if there was any battery inside like there is with the 500+ (I have a 500+ and the battery had leaked, but damage was minimal and it runs fine after I ripped it out)

And I found something called a Blizzard 1200 Attached to the port underneath and an old Hard Drive which I also removed presuming it'd be dead after 20 years of non-use. Would swapping the HDD for a CF Adapter and getting Workbench 3.1 (I need to grab 3.1 Kickstart chips first and foremost) be suitable for a decent WHDload machine?
AdSense AdSense  
Old 25 August 2014, 19:54   #2
Leffmann

Is it the Blizzard 1200/4? That's a 4M RAM expansion, and there's also usually an FPU on it, though you won't have much use of that. You can just boot the Amiga up and look at the Workbench title bar to see if the memory is there.

Many WHDLoad installs will run with the 2M RAM you have built-in, but some will need a bit more. WHDLoad only requires Kickstart and Workbench 2.0 or better, so you're good with your 3.0.
Old 25 August 2014, 19:58   #3
Experiment T

Yeah it's a 1200/4, Unfortunately the only workbench disk's i have are the green 1.3 ones, but i used the boot menu to see if the accelerator board was working and it does, though it lacks the FPU
Old 25 August 2014, 20:03   #4
Leffmann

The 6M of RAM you have in total is fine, you just need to add a new hard drive and you're good. Also, replace the old battery on the Blizzard, and make sure it hasn't begun leaking and corroding the board.
Old 25 August 2014, 20:13   #5
abbalah

Some Blizzard cards support Blizkick which lets you load any Kickstart image after bootup. Yours probably doesn't and it's not necessary anyway.

A CF IDE adapter is a must. You can install ClassicWB using an emulator and transfer the HDD image to your CF card. No need to hassle with floppies.

Also get a PCMCIA CF adapter if you want to easily transfer files to and from Workbench.
Old 25 August 2014, 20:24   #6
Experiment T

I've opened up the Trapdoor and checked the battery on the card. It's still intact and not leaking, Should i just pull it out with pliers and leave it till i can get my hands on more modern battery setup? I did prepare a HDD File years ago for WHDLoad on WinUAE for testing and such, I could just copy it over to a CF Card and it'll work?

Edit: I've successfully removed the battery on the Blizzard. Used a screwdriver to pop the tabs from out of the battery and made sure the tabs can't contact each other with electrical tape. All i need now is the CF stuff, Kickstart 3.1 so i can leave the option of going up to OS3.9 in the future and to register WHDload

Last edited by Experiment T; 25 August 2014 at 21:09.
Old 25 August 2014, 21:34   #7
abbalah

Good you removed the battery. It was well past its expiration date.

In principle all you need is an Amiga prepared (partitioned, formatted) CF card that you mount through your emulator and fill up with whatever goodies (operating system, utils, games, demos, modules) you want.

Amigakit sell prepared cards if you don't want to do it yourself. Fitzsteve has made a really good [ Show youtube player ] which explains everything.
Old 25 August 2014, 22:08   #8
Experiment T

Great. Seeing as the Amigakit is the cheap and comes pre-formatted. I'll go with that option and then use WinUAE and a PCMIA CF Adapter to shift things over using Fitz's tutorial. Thanks for the help One last thing. Can you attach CD-ROM drives via the PCMIA port?
Old 25 August 2014, 22:11   #9
Cpt. Hindsight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Experiment T View Post
Great. Seeing as the Amigakit is the cheap and comes pre-formatted. I'll go with that option and then use WinUAE and a PCMIA CF Adapter to shift things over using Fitz's tutorial. Thanks for the help One last thing. Can you attach CD-ROM drives via the PCMIA port?
There were options for that like the Overdrive and the Squirrel back then, but I can't say how easy it is to get one of those nowadays.
Old 25 August 2014, 22:26   #10
Experiment T

Oh well, It was just a thought . I could probably do any CD-ROM work via WinUAE in the future and transfer over via CF. Again thanks for all the help.
Old 26 August 2014, 10:58   #11
jbenam
Italian Amiga Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt. Hindsight View Post
There were options for that like the Overdrive and the Squirrel back then, but I can't say how easy it is to get one of those nowadays.
I recently sold a SquirrelSCSI complete with the drive on Amibay. Shouldn't be too difficult to find them around, they pop up every now and then... I know it took quite a while to sell mine!
AdSense AdSense