Old 13 September 2014, 18:28   #21
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Send a message via Skype™ to Retrofan
Subscribed! .
AdSense AdSense  
Old 26 September 2014, 15:29   #22
Mister Octopus

We've just finished our playthrough of [ Show youtube player ], one of the Lucasfilm Games point-and-clicks that people tend to forget!

There's a couple small easter eggs at the end of the first episode, then lots of watching my wife trying to [ OPEN ] [ BIRD ] from there!
Old 26 September 2014, 16:14   #23
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Octopus View Post

Also, to "celebrate" the US film release of Michael Bay's historical drama "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles"
He he he Even MB himself would piss his pants reading that.
Old 17 October 2014, 12:03   #24
Mister Octopus

Hello everyone! Just wanted to step out of the police box for a second to show you a couple Doctor Who games we've just finished playing.

The first was [ Show youtube player ], a "promoware" game that Accursed Toys created to tangentially promote their other game, Boppin'. For a free non-licensed game, we actually had a lot of fun with it. The sprites they made for all the Doctors and companions you play as throughout the game are really awesome and a nice touch.

The second was the more official [ Show youtube player ], a platformer that I can't imagine anyone has ever finished without turning on the unlimited lives cheat. This one is crazy hard, and features the Second, Fourth and Seventh Doctors, as well as the Brigadier and Ace taking on the Daleks and Ogrons across Earth and Skaro. We could hardly get past the first few screens without using the trainer, but I can't say we didn't try!
Old 26 October 2014, 06:08   #25
Mister Octopus

Halloween is coming, so as per usual, everyone on YouTube is going all spooky-scary. We wanted to join in on the fun, so my wife and I have pulled out a few appropriately themed games for the weeks running up to everyone's favorite pumpkin-mutilating holiday.

While she has me playing through Zombies Ate My Neighbors on the SNES, I've put her through the annoyingly difficult [ Show youtube player ], the ridiculously difficult [ Show youtube player ], and the not-so-difficult-and-actually-kind-of-awesome [ Show youtube player ].

All three games are just one-shot episodes for us, but we're also beginning a longer series of [ Show youtube player ], which is still extremely playable. Actually, I might just go play some right now.
Old 26 October 2014, 13:12   #26
capehorn

I wasn't sure what to write in the comments of the SotB video at the time so I didn't write anything. A lot of people here would tell you that your experience of it was basically it, it's way too tough, unfair death traps everywhere etc. not worth playing. It's one of those that you really needed have a trainer on for, and even that wouldn't have saved you from reaching the death skeleton without the weapon you needed. There are some really great longplays on Youtube ( [ Show youtube player ]) that could have helped you with that. I kind of wish you had gone right from the beginning to as you would have seen some of the best bits of the game then, and made some actual progress (although you can't actually complete is without going right!)

It's one of my favourite games and I think it has a lot of merit. Once you learn the death traps, you won't fall for them again (you wouldn't walk past that tree again, right?!). The graphics, sound and parallax are all great, and while it's basically a memory game, (knowing where the baddies are going to come from is everything) and it takes a heck of a lot of practise to beat, I still really enjoy it.

Maybe it's worth checking out darkfalzx's amazing PC remake, he's deliberately made it easier too!
Old 26 October 2014, 14:38   #27
Mister Octopus

Quote:
Originally Posted by capehorn View Post
There are some really great longplays on Youtube ( [ Show youtube player ]) that could have helped you with that. I kind of wish you had gone right from the beginning to as you would have seen some of the best bits of the game then...
Well I was thinking of trying to play it again with a trainer, but after checking out that longplay, I'm guessing it still would have been a day of frustration! For all the awesome and creepy graphics and music, there's some really strange level design in Shadow Of The Beast. Like being able to climb down the well right from the beginning, even though it's not obvious until later that you're only supposed to use that as an exit from the first underground area. And some of those later screens of emeies are just downright insane, with spikes coming out the ground and things flying or bouncing toward you. Craziness!
Old 26 October 2014, 14:46   #28
s2325
Zone Friend

Old wells are always accessible, you know, it's realistic game
Old 07 December 2014, 05:29   #29
Mister Octopus

Hi again! As a prelude to my inevitable playthrough of the new remastered Wings, I introduced my wife to [ Show youtube player ]. She had a little trouble with the dogfights at first, but she picked it up in the end! It's a long and repetitive game (we don't play through the whole thing), but still one of my favourites!

Old 08 December 2014, 22:22   #30
lifeschool
Vroom World Champion!

Great to see more videos from you guys. Dont forget your friends at LemonAmiga.
Old 22 December 2014, 20:20   #31
dreamkatcha
My elbow tastes of icky

Hi,

I've really been getting a kick out of your Amiga videos so thanks for making my bus journeys so entertaining. I almost forget I'm going into the office some days.

I've got to ask though, what is going on at the start of your [ Show youtube player ] episode? Is the stripey one aware that you're trying to share an anecdote? Are you even in the same room? I have family members who do exactly the same thing to me. Many times I've been close to throwing a hissy fit and stomping out of the room until they learn to take it in turns to speak.
Old 23 December 2014, 12:07   #32
Mister Octopus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamkatcha View Post
I've really been getting a kick out of your Amiga videos so thanks for making my bus journeys so entertaining. I almost forget I'm going into the office some days.
Thanks! That's an awesome compliment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamkatcha View Post
I've got to ask though, what is going on at the start of your [ Show youtube player ] episode? Is the stripey one aware that you're trying to share an anecdote? Are you even in the same room?
We do sit next to each other! The Striped One was just so very excited about her new flying bathtub. And fair enough!
Old 23 December 2014, 14:31   #33
capehorn

I'm just glad that she finally found something about the Amiga that she likes
Old 27 December 2014, 06:18   #34
Mister Octopus

Quote:
Originally Posted by capehorn View Post
I'm just glad that she finally found something about the Amiga that she likes
Ha! To be fair, she has enjoyed most of the games I've shown her so far-- especially Bubble Bobble, Parasol Stars, Nuclear War, New Zealand Story, Silkworm, Addams Family and Golden Axe.
Old 08 February 2015, 23:58   #35
Mister Octopus

Hi again! It's been a few weeks since I dropped in, but I've introduced my wife to a few more classic (and not-so-classic) games from my yesteryears!

Monty Python's Flying Circus
- A game with a few good laughs, but not a terribly competent platformer. Actually, it's a pretty incompetent platformer, but I get the feeling that "a playable game" was not high on their priorities!

Garfield Winter's Tail
- I played this game a lot as a kid, but I'm not entirely sure why. It's honestly pretty terrible-- especially that impossible skating level.

[ Show youtube player ] & James Pond II - These two games are very different. The first is a bit of an oddball throwaway-- fun for a few minutes but not totally engaging. The second is a bit more in-depth-- a cute platformer with some great graphics, but let down a bit by its slippery (pun intended) controls and some weird enemy hitboxes.

Ugh!
- I still love this game! It's a unique little game about a caveman with a helicopter taxi, where each level is a balancing puzzle between speed, accuracy and trying to figure out the order of things. We don't always play the games I show my wife after we've done our videos, but this one we played for a while after!

The Addam's Family
- One of my favourite platformers on the Amiga. Great graphics, great music and a lot of level theme variety. The only thing that annoys me is that Gomez can be a bit slidey at times, but the game is otherwise pretty fair and doesn't kill you off unexpectedly-- which is always a plus for me!

Batman: The Movie
- The first game I ever played on the Amiga! It came bundled with our Amiga and The New Zealand Story, but who cares about a fluffy little kiwi when you have BATMAN? And I totally forgot about how brutal that second level is.

Last edited by Mister Octopus; 09 February 2015 at 00:05.
Old 29 May 2015, 15:38   #36
Mister Octopus

When people talk about the greats of Amiga gaming, they speak of Turrican... Sensible Soccer... The Secret Of Monkey Island... but they always forget one game. And that game... is Donald Duck's Playground

Old 29 May 2015, 21:06   #37
lifeschool
Vroom World Champion!

I still havent seen your James Pond videos, must watch those soon. As for #1 worst Donald Duck game, I think you two guys got more laughs from this game than any kids playing it at the time, and the 'insert swearing here' moments when a vegetable gets dropped matches the game perfectly. This may seem like a vegetable catching sub-game but its actually a teaching guide as to how and when to swear, by Donald himself.
Old 29 May 2015, 23:57   #38
Bugala

I never knew they had that Donald Duck game in Amiga too. I remember playing it on C64, and while it looks laughable now, I would like to point out that when i was very much a kid still, that was one of the best games i had ever played.

Basically it is not as crappy a game as it is often being thought, but it actually was a great game for its intended audience and i always wanted to play more of it than i could, since only ones who had it, were enough much older than me, that they thought it as boring.
Old 07 January 2016, 23:27   #39
Mister Octopus

Hi everyone! It's been a good long while since I posted here, but seeing as people were fairly interested in our latest Garfield: Winter's Tail level fix video, I thought they might be interested in checking out some of the other games we've played over ther last year...

Star Wars
- Yay, vector graphics! As a kid, it was kind of mind blowing to be actually moving through a 3D space within a game. Even though it was extremely short, I remember replaying this a lot. As good as it was, the sequel was so much better...

Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back
- This is the game I really think of when I think of Star Wars on the Amiga. You haven't played Star Wars until you've flown between an AT-AT's legs for no reason (see also: F/A-18 Interceptor; Golden Gate Bridge).

Star Wars: Return Of The Jedi
- Never played this one as a kid. Unfortunately it was a big departure from the vector graphics of the previous two games, using an isometric shoot 'em up style instead. It had a few laugh out loud moments for me, like watching Han Solo casually toss a grenade into the base on Endor as he wandered on past.

Discovery: Spelling
- One of my favourite educational games on the Amiga. Part platformer, part trying-to-figure-out-what-the-hell-the-computers-are-saying, the music in this one was pretty damn catchy too.

The Great Giana Sisters
- I'd never even seen a Mario game when I first came across Giana Sisters, so to me it seemed like a revelation in platform gaming! Oddly creepy with it's walking eyeballs, giant spider/earwig things, is that a... sentient hamburger?... okay, there's a lot of weirdness in this game.

Another World
- The classic! There was something so glorious about discovering games like this that you'd never heard of before. It's really difficult to replicate that feeling in our modern time of interconnected communication. Maybe if you trip over some quirky indie game on Steam? Anyway, my wife loved this. My saruba!

Final Fight
- It's weird that I remember this game pretty fondly, because I played it a bunch of times as a kid. Playing it now you can see how awful it really is. I remember reading an interview with the programmer, where he described a nightmare scenario of having to create this arcade port almost from the ground up, as the original developers didn't offer any kind of assistance at all when it came to providing original game elements for him to work with. Not a bad result considering what he had to go through to get this port made. I still love Hagar's Tombstone Piledriver!

Wings! Remastered (PC)
- Not an Amiga game as such, but a remake of the classic Cinemaware game. It doesn't exactly stand up to the AAA games of today, but this hits all the right nostalgia buttons for me. Maybe a touch easier than the original, but still really, really fun. I never thought I'd be playing a remake of wings 15 years after playing it the first time! Now for an It Came From The Desert remake, please...

Moonwalker
- I never played this as a kid, and I would have been sorely disappointed if I did. This is just... well there's only so many ways to call a game awful. The Mega Drive / Genesis and arcade Moonwalker games are so much more fun in comparison. Gotta love those 3 second music loops.

Apidya
- Kinda like Silkworm, if Silkworm had actual silkworms in it. There aren't many games out there were you can blow off a snail's head. That's a selling point right there!

Zool
- In my experience, this is one of those polarising "it's awesome!" / "it's awful!" games, kind of like Superfrog. I'd certainly take Superfrog over this, but there is the germ of a good game in here. The graphics and the wall-jumping mechanics are great, but there's lots of weird little design decisions that ruin everything. How about those endlessly spawning enemies as soon as you walk off the screen, eh?

Pang
- Not much to say about this, except that I played the vastly inferior clone, Ooops Up, as a kid. This was much better!

Escape From The Planet Of The Robot Monsters
- One of the classics from my childhood. It still holds up, in my opinion! The whole tone of the game is great, and there's lots of fun little death animations to be seen. Two player is a riot.

Toki
- I remember enjoying this more as a kid, but that's probably because I was abusing Unlimited Lives cheats. Another one of those arcade ports that doesn't really hold up to the original all that well. Not terrible.

SWIV
- I hear a lot of people love this, but I still prefer the side-scrolling of Silkworm. And someone told me that there's no level breaks? Bah!
Old 07 January 2016, 23:34   #40
Mister Octopus

Battle Squadron
- Another one I played a lot with friends as a kid. I'd take this over SWIV, but then I'm dumb that way. I like the weird overworld mechanic where you can kind of choose which levels to enter.

Banshee
- One of the better top-down vertical scrolling shoot 'em ups. If only that guy had made the microwave oven like the aliens asked, we wouldn't have had all this trouble!

Terminator 2: Judgment Day
- So much worse than I remember. One of those weird movie tie-ins where they thought that giving you a handful of minigames was the same thing as making an actual game. Some of the minigames are better than others, but... a sliding block puzzle? Really? Terrible combat mechanics too. The top-down driving sections were okay.

Superfrog
- Like Zool, this game seems to have a lot of both fans and detractors, but I find it hard to hold it up to the same standard as some of the iconic platformers on other systems, or indeed to modern platformers. There's a lot of great elements here, some neat flashes of humour, and cute graphics. Each "world" goes on for one level too long in my opinion, and that snow world is just cruel. By the time we got to the end of the game, we just wanted it to be over. AND THEN IT SNUCK IN A HIDDEN SPACE WORLD.

Midnight Resistance
- Oh I still love this. It's my favourite Contra-'em-up, and the weapon selection system still holds up for me. Love that music too.

Dynamite Dux
- A weird little cartoony beat 'em up. Another arcade port that didn't make the jump all that well, but it's definitely playable.

Double Dragon
- Another beat 'em up arcade port that doesn't hold up anywhere near to the original game. I did play this quite a bit as a kid, but I really shouldn't have. Gotta love those death SFX though!

Double Dragon II: The Revenge
- Quite an improvement over the previous game! A lot more enemy variety and just a better feel all around. Not perfect, but much more playable.

Double Dragon III: The Rosetta Stone
- This was my favourite of the Double Dragons as a kid, but I'm not really sure why. Again, an Unlimited Lives cheat may be to blame for that one. This is actually a really close replica of the original arcade game. Unfortunately, the original arcade game was pretty terrible. The graphics are... okay, I guess? The storyline is mental and forgets about itself halfway through.

Shadow Of The Beast II
- I would say that this is easier and more playable than the original, but that's really not much to crow about. Even with an Unlimited Lives cheat available, this game still finds ways to easily roadblock all your progress and force you to restart. I love the music, the art design and the atmosphere in general, but oh my god these games were so awful to actually play.

Elvira: Mistress Of The Dark
- This game actually went down surprisingly well with us! I only have a few memories of trying (and failing) to play this as a kid, but this time we actually play all the way through to the end. One of the better examples of the first-person point-and-click genre. Great graphics, great death scenes, mental puzzles, lots of weirdness. Definitely worth checking out if you've never played it before! Might just have to play the sequel this Halloween...

Back To The Future II
- I actually really liked this as a kid, even though I could never get past the first level. And thank goodness I didn't, as I would have eventually gotten to that side-scrolling beat 'em up level and promptly thrown my Amiga out a second-storey window. Great music, neat little references, but man oh man did they make those hoverboard levels stupidly long and repetitive.

Back To The Future III
- Much like the movies, I prefer the second one. Graphics are pretty good, but... yeah, I don't know. It ends with a big plate-throwing fight. Yeah.

Fire And Ice
- A neat little platformer that I didn't play much of as a kid. A bit unnecessarily tough at times, but the graphics are great and the platforming physics are actually consistent for once. We also played the Xmas level.

Flood
- I love Flood, even though it's just a little bit insane. I love the wall-climbing, I love that Aunt Matilda is chasing you the whole time, I love the water mechanics, I love the art style and the enemy design, I love the weird backgrounds, the sound effects... and the ending! Can be a wee bit repetitive though, to be fair.
AdSense AdSense