English Amiga Board Amiga Lore

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 01 September 2014, 07:51   #121
hansel75
Walk Off? Boolander!

Since i have a real datasette and disk drive here as well, is it possible to write a rom image out to real media with an sd2iec?

Is there a special utility for the job?

I ask because with some of the new releases that won't work on an sd2iec, this might be a way around it by using disks on my real 1541-II instead!!

Basically something that's the equivalent to the amiga adf to floppy writing utils, but for the c64!
AdSense AdSense  
Old 01 September 2014, 08:08   #122
Vot

Quote:
Originally Posted by hansel75 View Post
Since i have a real datasette and disk drive here as well, is it possible to write a rom image out to real media with an sd2iec?

I ask because with some of the new releases that won't work on an sd2iec, this might be a way around it by using disks on my real 1541-II instead!!

Basically something that's the equivalent to the amiga adf to floppy writing utils, but for the c64!
Must be some kind of nibble copier for the sd2iec. Personally i prefer tapes... (Emulated loading or the real thing). The loading music etc adds to the experience for me. A sd2iec is ok, but the 1541 ultimate is what i want... The price i don't mind... The lag in getting one and lack of postal insurance i really dislike.

I actually laugh about how people say the c64 takes to load a game. With fastloadero most are loaded in 3.5 mins... Boot your xb360 by the time it forces you to watch the splash screens to when you actually play... Its not always that much different.
Old 01 September 2014, 09:27   #123
Cpt. Hindsight

Quote:

DraCopy should do the job, if you set the SD2IEC to device 9. It's working like copying disk from df0: to df1: in X-Copyhttp://csdb.dk/release/?id=98664
Old 01 September 2014, 09:42   #124
demolition
Unregistered User

Quote:
You can only write floppy images, for example D64 files, out to floppy disks. ROMs can be much bigger than a floppy (some are for example 512kB which is much more than the 170kB a floppy disk can hold), so that is not possible in an automated way. If by ROMs you mean D64 files, then they can be written to a real disk from the SD2IEC using any regular disk copy program (not using any turbo modes). You need two IEC cables and connect it like this: C64 <-> 1541 <-> SD2IEC.
Old 01 September 2014, 10:32   #125
hawui1

@Vot
If it's just for TAP emulation C64SD Princess of manosoft will be enough at a fraction of the price, of course if price is not a problem for you and you need additional features Ultimate II offers go for it.
Old 01 September 2014, 10:51   #126
hansel75
Walk Off? Boolander!

Thanks guys, i might have a play around with it later and try it out with DraCopy.

Quite a few new demos are in d64 format, so this might be a workaround for the ones not working on sd2iec's.

As for the other new releases in other formats not working on sd2iec's, well there isn't much that can be done about that i guess.

To be honest it doesn't worry me greatly as i am mainly into the old stuff i grew up with anyway.
And i have more then enough here on the infinity to keep me busy for years, and all my old faves are in there
Old 01 September 2014, 14:59   #127
hansel75
Walk Off? Boolander!

While we're on the subject of C64's and sd2iec's, is a Super Snapshot V3 cart any good for anything?

I acquired one years ago and still have it here, i tested it once and it seemed to work fine.
But since then i have never used it for anything.

I know they were handy back in the old days, but are they of much use now?

Edit- Also what do you guys think of the Turbo Chameleon 64 if they can be found for sale, specs here-
http://www.vesalia.de/e_chameleon.htm

Last edited by hansel75; 01 September 2014 at 15:12.
Old 01 September 2014, 19:34   #128
john1979

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawui1 View Post
@John1979
Yes, I was referring to those rumors, somebody said current batch could be the last.. and looking to the Project Status the rumors could be true

2014-04-30: New (last?) production batch started.
I'm sure someone told me on lemon that Gideon had changed his mind and decided to continue. Although for how long who knows. He will obviously want to move on one day.

If he stops production the ones in circulation will be worth their weight in gold.

I've asked on the facebook page. Maybe he will get back to me with an answer.
Old 02 September 2014, 12:12   #129
Neil79

Had a bit of good news just waiting on the devices, I'm getting both a tape device and SD2IEC for press coverage in an agreement with the developers. Will be interesting to see how they work etc
Old 02 September 2014, 14:30   #130
hansel75
Walk Off? Boolander!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil79 View Post
Had a bit of good news just waiting on the devices, I'm getting both a tape device and SD2IEC for press coverage in an agreement with the developers. Will be interesting to see how they work etc
Looking forward to hearing more about it!
Old 02 September 2014, 14:44   #131
TMR

Quote:
Edit- Also what do you guys think of the Turbo Chameleon 64 if they can be found for sale, specs here-
http://www.vesalia.de/e_chameleon.htm
Well, this might as well be my first post... =-)

i've got an SD2IEC, 1541 Ultimate 2 and Turbo Chameleon and that saying about getting what you pay for is true. If you just want to load single file stuff or disk images that don't rely on the disk drive's processor then the SD2IEC and the variations are okay but keep a real 1541 handy to transfer stuff that needs a more accurate emulation and preferably a cartridge to make sending commands easier.

If you want a real disk emulation and the ability to emulate cartridges including the Easyflash series, the C64GS games like Toki which are just a bit too big to work on a stock C64 and pretty much any fastloader cartridge (as well as having RAM expansion support for those jewel cracks that support it) then the 1541 Ultimate 2 is a very purchase.

But if you want the features of the 1541U2, VGA out and PS/2 keyboard/mouse in, infra red for a CDTV pad and the option to spin processing speed up for sluggish games like those built with Freescape (as well as a few other toy) consider the Chameleon. It can even handle an FPGA emulation of other machines like the Spectrum and Atari 8-bit with more on the way. My work machine (the one i test code and play games on) has the Chameleon in the back and is connected to the KVM switch i have on the two PC desktops, whilst the 1541U2 and SD2IEC are in storage boxes and only come out for gaming events or testing machines.

The only word of "warning" to add is that, whilst the hardware is finalised, the Chameleon's firmware is still considered to be in beta but that means they'll take bug reports and deal with them.
Old 02 September 2014, 18:05   #132
hansel75
Walk Off? Boolander!

Going back to the original topic of tape alignment issues, for people who are still playing real tape games on a c2n, or when using a cassette adapter with the tape playback coming from another device.

I have found some more hints and tips in the Commodore Format magazines in regards to c2n head alignment, see pics!

There is also a little program in the 2nd pic that apparently allows you to hear the tapes audio through your tv's speakers!

This would be awesome if it worked, it would make the job of head alignment so much easier.

Also on a side note, i still have my c2n datasette and a cassette adapter that i used to use with it to load tape games.

So i guess if ever i wanted true tape emulation i can always still use that method instead of the Infinity.

And with new disk releases that don't work on sd2iec's, as mentioned before i can always copy out the d64's to real disks in my 1541-II(in which i am still to try out)!

So in some ways by still having a real tape and disk drive plus the Infinity v2, it virtually covers all bases apart from some large crt games that require an easyflash!

And with cart games like some of the larger Ocean and System3 cart games, almost all of them are also available in other formats that my infinity can play so cool!

Also does anyone know if the Super Snapshot v3 cart i have is any good for anything, or worth much to sell?

Edit- Thanks for the info TMR, was helpful!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CF C2N Alignment Tips.JPG
Views:	91
Size:	426.3 KB
ID:	41364   Click image for larger version

Name:	CF C2N Amplifier Program.JPG
Views:	88
Size:	108.8 KB
ID:	41365  

Last edited by hansel75; 02 September 2014 at 18:16.
Old 03 September 2014, 01:55   #133
TMR

Quote:
There is also a little program in the 2nd pic that apparently allows you to hear the tapes audio through your tv's speakers!

This would be awesome if it worked, it would make the job of head alignment so much easier.
There's a typo on line 20. It should read...

Code:
20 c=0:forl=49152to49198
...but after that it's fine. You'll have to crank the volume up most of the way on a C64C though, essentially it's playing the tape output as a sample.

Quote:
Also does anyone know if the Super Snapshot v3 cart i have is any good for anything, or worth much to sell?
i think the DOS wedge that should work with an SD2IEC but it would depend on if the fastloader is supported at the SD2IEC's end (i use an Action Replay 6 but don't get the fastloading because it isn't supported). i don't think i've ever owned any version of the Super Snapshot so can't test it here.
Old 03 September 2014, 10:14   #134
john1979

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMR View Post
But if you want the features of the 1541U2...
It's worth noting that the drive emulation of the Chameleon is still incomplete and poor compared to the now more or less complete emulation in the 1541U2..

edit: Further research looks like the gap between them in recent years has narrowed to almost nothing. I guess the Chameleon is really worth looking at for 1541 emulation now

Last edited by john1979; 03 September 2014 at 10:37.
Old 03 September 2014, 16:19   #135
hansel75
Walk Off? Boolander!

To Neil and any other c64 fans who haven't played it before, you must check out this shoot em up on your c64 called Enforcer - Fullmetal Megablaster!

It really shows off what the c64 can do and is by Manfred Trenz(C64 Turrican, Giana, Katakis, R-Type),and it was only today that i found out about this game.
I've no idea how this one slipped by me for all those years, but i am so glad i found it now

The video looks awesome and i'll test it out on my real c64 tomorrow!

[ Show youtube player ]

http://www.c64-wiki.com/index.php/Enforcer

D64 Download-

http://www.gb64.com/game.php?id=2512
Old 03 September 2014, 16:26   #136
john1979

Good luck. It looks and feels like an MD Shooter but it's as tough as nails.

Manfred always was good at hammering the C64 hardware.
Old 04 September 2014, 07:33   #137
Cpt. Hindsight

I guess it was pretty unknown since Enforcer - Fullmetal Megablaster was released on a disk mag called Golden Disk in germany. It wasn't really a disk mag like CU Amiga or something like that. Most of the times it was just the disk in a 2 page Din A4 cover. The games released on Golden Disk were a mixed bag in terms of quality and surprisingly the cover neither mentioned Trenz nor Markus Siebold.

Old 04 September 2014, 07:37   #138
demolition
Unregistered User

If it was released in 92 like it says on the cover, then that could explain why it never got much attention. Pretty much everybody had moved on to other platforms like the Amiga at that time.
Old 04 September 2014, 09:26   #139
TMR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt. Hindsight View Post
I guess it was pretty unknown since Enforcer - Fullmetal Megablaster was released on a disk mag called Golden Disk in germany. It wasn't really a disk mag like CU Amiga or something like that. Most of the times it was just the disk in a 2 page Din A4 cover. The games released on Golden Disk were a mixed bag in terms of quality and surprisingly the cover neither mentioned Trenz nor Markus Siebold.
Trenz wrote Enforcer under a pseudonym although it was fairly common knowledge who "The Master" was. It was reasonably well known but, because Golden Disk didn't travel far out side Germany, the only way for most of us to get their games was as cracks so it took a while for people to get their hands on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by demolition View Post
If it was released in 92 like it says on the cover, then that could explain why it never got much attention. Pretty much everybody had moved on to other platforms like the Amiga at that time.
At that point the C64 still had several dedicated magazines and a supply of commercial games, it took a couple more years for that to dry up until it was just the indies keeping things alive.
Old 04 September 2014, 22:27   #140
Neil79

The Ucassette arrived today and it's seriously awesome! Short Review coming soon
AdSense AdSense