English Amiga Board Amiga Lore

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 30 August 2014, 19:58   #101
Akira

You can copy to disk any of the stuff on tape if you want to.
You should be ripping these supposedly unique tapes to disk for everyone to enjoy.

The added TAP functionality of the modern version, yes, that's new stuff and of course paying extra if you happen to want that it's fine, but the previous version of C64SD didn't have this and is definitely just like any other SD2IEC device on the market and as such overpriced. I would understand that fancy case costs a lot of money to make, sure looks very pro and sturdy, but I don't want to pay for such a thing.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 30 August 2014, 20:03   #102
john1979

If you're willing to spend the money, then the 1541 Ultimate-II with the cassette adapter add on is the way to go.

I dislike the sd2iec because of compatibility problems with demos as mentioned earlier. Adding to that the sd2iec can't use crt files, and many new games are being released in this format.

Adding to that, you don't have to faff with card readers and sd cards. The cart will happily take a usb drive as big as you like. Why penny pinch buying all these different units when you could just save up and buy the thing that does the job right first time. I don't think I've ever unplugged mine from the C64 since I got it.

Last edited by john1979; 30 August 2014 at 20:20.
Old 31 August 2014, 06:00   #103
Cpt. Hindsight

Quote:
Originally Posted by john1979 View Post
If you're willing to spend the money, then the 1541 Ultimate-II with the cassette adapter add on is the way to go.

I dislike the sd2iec because of compatibility problems with demos as mentioned earlier. Adding to that the sd2iec can't use crt files, and many new games are being released in this format.

Adding to that, you don't have to faff with card readers and sd cards. The cart will happily take a usb drive as big as you like. Why penny pinch buying all these different units when you could just save up and buy the thing that does the job right first time. I don't think I've ever unplugged mine from the C64 since I got it.
You forgot to mention he'll have plenty of time to save up the money for the 1541 U-II since it'll take several months before he'll get his unit. Aside from that, not everyone is willing to pay 3 or 4 times the price of a used C64 for an expansion, no matter how good it is.
Old 31 August 2014, 06:22   #104
hansel75
Walk Off? Boolander!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawui1 View Post
Regarding TAP not on disk I can mention very easily all the cassettes that were sold in the newsstands in Italy.. you won't find them on disk..
Does this happen to be what your talking about-

http://www.edicolac64.com/public/eng...e_in_italy.php

http://www.edicolac64.com/public/eng...gazine_c64.php
Old 31 August 2014, 08:44   #105
hawui1

Again.. do not focus on TAP support, TAP support is there to recreate exactly the same feeling and the very same experience you had in those days, answer to my question: why do you use the real stuff while there's a nice emulator on PC that runs virtually any stuff around ?
With TAP support you can load tapes exactly as you were doing those days.

hansel75, yes, that's part of what I meant. You can probably copy it to disk but I don't think you can recreate exactly the same behavior.

Regarding Ultimate II, nice piece of hardware, It happens I have it, I had to wait six months after the payment to get it, I know (and I could be wrong here) that it's going to be discontinued. And again it applies the same rule, it depends on how much you would like to spend and the performance you would like to have in return. I would never say that Ultimate II is waste of one's money even if I can tell you the average user will use 20% of its potential and it costs actually a LOT compared to the hardware you connect it to. Say that your C64 power supply fails.. 10$ stuff failing would kill a huge amount of money.. But anyway it could be a good choice anyway.. it runs the demos as John was saying, if it's so important for you it could make the difference..

These are the considerations one's should think about.

Coming back to SD2IEC they're are not all the same as it could seem. Some are offering more in terms of circuit topology, usability, robustness, features, these ones could cost more but the additional cost could be justified if you need the additional features or you like the better usability or you appreciate the better lifespan of the product. That's the end user judgement. Before saying a product is a waste of one's money better to think twice and have very strong arguments at hand.

Last edited by hawui1; 31 August 2014 at 08:54.
Old 31 August 2014, 10:50   #106
hawui1

@Akira
I'm not saying you're wrong, your consideration on what to buy, at personal level, is completely correct.. You think a container is useless in a card like this.. ok.. I think that when your nude card comes in contact with that damn coin you forgot on the table you immediately realize that having a container in a card like this is not just fancy stuff. But if you're a picky person maybe this will never happen and you saved some bucks.

At any rate if you look closely to the two cards you will notice there are more differences than just the container. Again you've to evaluate.

In the end you can always decide to save the money buying the 30$ card and buy that "less than half tank of gasoline" for your car that the difference in the price allows you.. this is your choice.

but again, this doesn't mean C64SD (the previous model) is the same as the 30$ card.. you get what you pay for. It depends if this is enough for you or not, some features are more useful than others or might be wise to have, you simply cannot IMHO just judge from the fact they're both SD2IEC and one costs less than the other.

Last edited by hawui1; 31 August 2014 at 11:03.
Old 31 August 2014, 11:14   #107
hansel75
Walk Off? Boolander!

I think it's safe to say the manosoft sd2iec rom packs i use on my infinity will cover every requirement of mine.

I'm honestly not to worried about some obscure Italian games that may not be in these packs i have.

I have access to around 4000x d64 roms, 170x d81, 900x m2i, 5500x prg and around 10000x p00 roms, plus around 1700 demos in asst formats from the manosoft roms pack.

And these are all playable with the inifinity, and all of them apart from the p00 roms are useable on pretty much any sd2iec device.

I think that's enough to keep anyone busy and probably covers about 99.9% of all releases, so again i'm not greatly concerned about a few rare tape games that i have never seen before.

Lol i'll probably never get around to playing all my old favorites first let alone stuff i have never played before.

The only thing that sucks a bit with the sd2iec's in general and from my experience with the infinity, is that when i have tried to run some new release demos and games that i downloaded and put on the sd card myself, some of them don't run properly.

Edit- Although the sd2iec lacks crt support, i'm quite sure that all of old crt roms have already been either converted, or saved out into prg or p00 formats anyway.
But i do realize there are new releases in the crt format, can crt roms be converted to other rom types like prg etc with a util/converter??

Last edited by hansel75; 31 August 2014 at 11:22.
Old 31 August 2014, 11:23   #108
demolition
Unregistered User

If you just consider value for money and think logically, there's not much point in using the real thing since emulators are so good. Actually, if you use the real thing on an LCD, you lose most of the fluidity of it anyway, so an emulator might be better.

Do I prefer the real deal? Surely I do. It's not really logical, it's more emotional, so hard to argue against. The same thing goes for TAP support. Why have it when there's better and faster ways of loading a game? Has to do with sentimentality I think (except maybe preservationists). I also got the tape adapter for my 1541U-II but can't explain logically why.
Old 31 August 2014, 11:34   #109
hansel75
Walk Off? Boolander!

With most of the games i have played in other non tap formats, i still get the loading screen and music before the game starts and it's up to you to press a key to skip it or you can let it play out, and it's all done much quicker then the slower tap method.

I can understand some people wanting to use the tap format and have the slow load times, maybe to demonstrate to someone how things were in the old days.

But would you really want to wait up to 20mins to load a game?, when you could of been playing it in a few minutes instead, and still get the loading screens and music as well as the speedier load times.

Also i don't mind using new tech on old computers to take out the hassle of real disks and tapes, and to speed everything up.

But i do agree that if you have a real c64 then you really need to have a real crt tv to go with it, i personally use a 68cm crt tv with the c64 hooked up to it via s-video
Old 31 August 2014, 12:19   #110
hawui1

@hansel
I think the point is what demolition said. It's related to "emotion" and "sentimentality".. I bought Ultimate II tape adapter for the same reason, but I have also a uIEC and an Infinity + ITS module.

If you don't need TAP support you don't need it dot.. I like to have it as first because I want to play those games (that are not just a few) that for you are immaterial because you didn't pass through my same experience in the 80's and secondly because this way it's a complete emulation.. If one day I will find a TAP I like there won't be any need for me to go any further to convert or search for anything else, I load it. That manosoft package contains a huge number of TAPs as well.

However nobody is forcing any kind of choice, it fully depends on you to buy something that fullfills your expectations. Regarding 20 mins of loading, I can remember only one game taking so long: Manic Miner saved with ROM loader 220 turns.. !! I could have breakfast waiting for it to load.. but many of the other games (and even MM) saved with a fast loader required much less time (few minutes usually).. This fact of having everything loaded in split seconds however is a modern requirement.. those days we were far more patient :

Regarding the video I use instead an old 1084S.. I bought it those days.. Call me a purist :

Last edited by hawui1; 31 August 2014 at 12:34.
Old 31 August 2014, 12:30   #111
hawui1

Regarding those demos you cannot play, remember sd2iec is NOT a real 1541 hardware emulator.. it doesn't emulate Processor, memory space, internals etc. For sure if the demo (or the loader or the program itself) is based on one of the above resources it won't work correctly or it won't work at all. Some fast loaders are "emulated" in the firmware so they work but SD2IEC can cope only with what she knows. If it was a real 1541 emulation (like 1541 Ultimate) it could cope with anything you throw at it since a real emulation of 1541 in its entirety can accomodate any custom programming needs. SD2IEC is a sort of compromise... it allows to play 99% of what you come across but not all (if you're in the demo business this percentage is significantly less), even d64 format is a compromise that doesn't allow to reproduce all the disks.. but you pay far less than for a complete emulation stuff. Again it depends on what you need, I think that for casual user SD2IEC at the moment is the best compromise.
Old 31 August 2014, 15:53   #112
hansel75
Walk Off? Boolander!

Quote:
Regarding the video I use instead an old 1084S.. I bought it those days.. Call me a purist :
I have one of those as well on my A600, it's my original
Old 31 August 2014, 16:35   #113
Cpt. Hindsight

I have a 1084 S-2 which wasn't the best choice for my C128 unfortunately, since the S2 doesn't support all C128 resolutions. Well, you always learn the hard way, don't you?

Anyway, it's a fine choice for my Amigas and my C64C.

If you're using your C64/Amiga just for gaming a CRT TV is good enough, especially if you own one of the late 90's Sony, Philips or Panasonic TVs.

@Neil79: Didn't all Amstrads come with a (either monochrome or colour) monitor? Are there any pins to connect it with your C64?
Old 31 August 2014, 17:30   #114
Neil79

I know some people have modified an Amiga and ZX Spectrum to work with the colour monitor, so it must be doable
Old 31 August 2014, 18:00   #115
hansel75
Walk Off? Boolander!

There isn't much info out there about using a c64 on a cpc monitor from my quick look on google, but this might shine some light on the matter-

http://www.lemon64.com/forum/viewtop...40880c0ae44b41
Old 31 August 2014, 18:37   #116
john1979

Quote:
Originally Posted by hansel75 View Post
But i do realize there are new releases in the crt format, can crt roms be converted to other rom types like prg etc with a util/converter??
It depends entirely on the game. Some new games like Bomberland would have to be manually recoded to become multiload. Quite a big investment. Other simpler games may not need much work at all to turn to prg format.

Quote:
You forgot to mention he'll have plenty of time to save up the money for the 1541 U-II since it'll take several months before he'll get his unit. Aside from that, not everyone is willing to pay 3 or 4 times the price of a used C64 for an expansion, no matter how good it is.
The wait really is not a problem. I just carried on using my datasette till the unit arrived and didn't get impatient. I think the price really is worth it for anyone wanting to seriously get back into C64. For just a casual gamer, who is not interested in new game/demo releases, the SD2IEC is perhaps worth it.

@hawui1

There were some rumours about Gideon ending production of the Ultimate. But as far as I know they are just rumours, Gideon hasn't said anything concrete either way. Although I haven't been to the 1541U forums for a while, so things may have changed.
Old 31 August 2014, 18:39   #117
Cpt. Hindsight

Quote:
Originally Posted by hansel75 View Post
There isn't much info out there about using a c64 on a cpc monitor from my quick look on google, but this might shine some light on the matter-

http://www.lemon64.com/forum/viewtop...40880c0ae44b41
First: I'm pretty ashamed I didn't have a look at lemon64 myself before I asked.

Second: It doesn't read too promising (at least for me) to connect a C64 to an Amstrad colour monitor. There's probably a way, but obviously it's not done by buying a cable. I'm able to do lead glazing, but I'm utterly futile in soldering electronics. Since I'll probably never buy an Amstrad (or Schneider as they were called here in Germany) I don't really care, but it had been a nice option if you already own an Amstrad to use the monitor for your C64 as well.
Old 31 August 2014, 20:47   #118
hawui1

@John1979
Yes, I was referring to those rumors, somebody said current batch could be the last.. and looking to the Project Status the rumors could be true

2014-04-30: New (last?) production batch started.
Old 31 August 2014, 21:44   #119
Cpt. Hindsight

Quote:
@John1979
Yes, I was referring to those rumors, somebody said current batch could be the last.. and looking to the Project Status the rumors could be true

2014-04-30: New (last?) production batch started.
I wouldn't bet on that since Gideon summoned me to put myself on the waiting list today, after I was asking him a few questions about his device.
Old 31 August 2014, 21:49   #120
hawui1

What is written over there was written by him, not by me, it's on the official site Project Status list. It could be also that in the last batch there as still some units to be sold. The fact you're on the list doesn't tell anything about his real future intentions. Just that you're in contact with him take the opportunity to ask..
AdSense AdSense