English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 31 July 2014, 22:29   #101
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by subone View Post
Thanks for that release

it doesn't work on A500 or A1200 with hfe format. (Guru Error after title screen)
Does anybody try with HxC ?
In all cases, my work is configured to work on a REAL Amiga, anything additional to that definition is of no interest to me.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 31 July 2014, 22:30   #102
Dunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codetapper View Post
I've done most of the map already with Maptapper and some ASM, but it wasn't easy. The game uses 12 different areas for the tiles, so you scroll into a region and suddenly the tileset appears to change due to the map changing. The second map that uses the tiles itself is run-length-encoded so it's hard to extract from memory. Also the tiles near the edges of each of the 12 sections are not identical.

I can send you what I have if you wish to add extras to it such as the WOS map, as the one I have ripped is just the land. It does show the 2 tiles which appear to be incorrect graphics near the right side of the map.
That would be very interesting - can't promise anything right away, but give me a week or so and I'll get it done to the same standard (well, better!) as the Speccy version's map.

paul.dunn - gmail.com is my addy, replace - with @.

D.
Old 01 August 2014, 01:38   #103
Codetapper
2 contact me: email only!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
That would be very interesting - can't promise anything right away, but give me a week or so and I'll get it done to the same standard (well, better!) as the Speccy version's map.

paul.dunn - gmail.com is my addy, replace - with @.

D.
I've uploaded the current map to HOL so everyone can see how it currently looks, and have emailed you all the source graphics. Enjoy!
Old 01 August 2014, 03:36   #104
Frog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asman View Post
Well done, big thanks to all involved. Very nice crack intro.

This is the question. I spent today few hours to find something interesting exclusive game. Interesting for me of course, mean shmup or platform game. And nothing. Some small Atari ST gem would be perfect.
Slap Fight ! : Atari Legend
Old 01 August 2014, 06:45   #105
Codetapper

This game really needs the ability to save your progress.

I have made a modification to the WHDLoad version to allow a quick save option by pressing 'S' and you can re-load a saved game by pressing 'L'. But there are some side-effects. You must have the exact same configuration to reload the save game or it won't work (complete lockups sometimes). A newer slave will most likely break your save game too.

I guess it's more use as a memory save than anything else. If anybody wants to test it, please let me know. It's basically just saving vital chip memory so it's a real hack. But it's nice to not have to retrace your steps as you can get killed randomly, plus your colleagues are thick as planks sometimes and get stuck, fall off cliffs, drown etc.

I would ideally like it to be a proper save game but you have to save both Atari ST screen buffers at $70000, both Amiga screen buffers (at $30000 and $5e300), the ST memory (at $1000) plus whatever else the game changes, which could be directly into the map buffers etc. So this hack might be as good as I can do for real Amiga users unless someone else has a better plan.
Attached Files
File Type: zip WhereTimeStoodStill10aSlave.zip (1.7 KB, 49 views)
Old 01 August 2014, 13:05   #106
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
This game really needs the ability to save your progress.

I have made a modification to the WHDLoad version to allow a quick save option by pressing 'S' and you can re-load a saved game by pressing 'L'. But there are some side-effects. You must have the exact same configuration to reload the save game or it won't work (complete lockups sometimes). A newer slave will most likely break your save game too.

I guess it's more use as a memory save than anything else. If anybody wants to test it, please let me know. It's basically just saving vital chip memory so it's a real hack. But it's nice to not have to retrace your steps as you can get killed randomly, plus your colleagues are thick as planks sometimes and get stuck, fall off cliffs, drown etc.

I would ideally like it to be a proper save game but you have to save both Atari ST screen buffers at $70000, both Amiga screen buffers (at $30000 and $5e300), the ST memory (at $1000) plus whatever else the game changes, which could be directly into the map buffers etc. So this hack might be as good as I can do for real Amiga users unless someone else has a better plan.
You can save memory by not saving the Amiga screen buffers.

By simply accessing the screen convert routine, it will automatically take the present ST screen and convert it for you in place saving memory
Old 01 August 2014, 15:01   #107
Codetapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT View Post
You can save memory by not saving the Amiga screen buffers.

By simply accessing the screen convert routine, it will automatically take the present ST screen and convert it for you in place saving memory
That will save a little memory in the save state (at the cost of a little more complexity) but won't avoid the current problems that occur if the slave doesn't sit in the exact position that it did before.

I added a couple of nops to the slave to test what would happen with a future slave update and WHDLoad bombs out with an "unsupported version" error. Several registers suddenly had strange values and I guess the stuff on the stack would potentially be a real mess.

Loading the save game on a different config (less memory, different CPU etc) locked up the game completely too. I even tried re-running the patch of the AMIGA file so the addresses would be recalculated but it didn't help.
Old 01 August 2014, 15:27   #108
daxb

@Codetapper:
With slave V1.0 on A1200 040/40 AGA 32MB I can freeze the system by pressing and/or hold keys 0-9 while cracktro is running.
Old 01 August 2014, 16:01   #109
Codetapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by daxb View Post
@Codetapper:
With slave V1.0 on A1200 040/40 AGA 32MB I can freeze the system by pressing and/or hold keys 0-9 while cracktro is running.
I can probably prevent that by not enabling the keyboard interrupt until after the intro. The downside is you wouldn't be able to quit the slave while the intro is running.

The intro doesn't seem to be 100% safe with regards to the interrupts. All sorts of exceptions were being fired while it was trying to clean up after itself while developing the slave and it caused several crashes.

The other obvious solution is not to touch the keyboard during the cracktro!
Old 01 August 2014, 18:25   #110
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Any chance that you map the space key to a second button?
Old 01 August 2014, 18:31   #111
daxb

Quote:
The other obvious solution is not to touch the keyboard during the cracktro!
If that small bug (maybe not worth the try) isn`t really easy to fix then I would also vote for this solution. Just add a notice in ReadMe file about the situation.
Old 01 August 2014, 19:05   #112
PortuguesePilot
The Son of Luso

excellent work! keep it up! and many, many thanks!
Old 01 August 2014, 21:44   #113
Guru Meditation

Quote:
Originally Posted by retro-nerd View Post
any chance that you map the space key to a second button?
+1

Old 01 August 2014, 22:36   #114
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frog View Post
Slap Fight ! : Atari Legend
I may create an Amiga port, so far it's fun (protection was pretty useless though). See screenshot.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	slapfight.png
Views:	404
Size:	13.7 KB
ID:	40776  

Last edited by StingRay; 01 August 2014 at 22:42.
Old 01 August 2014, 22:45   #115
Frog

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingRay View Post
I may create an Amiga port, so far it's fun (protection was pretty useless though). See screenshot.
Nice
Asman has some plans for this game see this thread
Old 02 August 2014, 00:33   #116
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

That sounds somewhat vague but I'll continue working on my port anyway, should there be 2 ports of the same game (which I doubt seeing that Asman has "other plans") people can choose which one they like best which isn't a bad thing IMHO.
Old 02 August 2014, 00:38   #117
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingRay View Post
Welcome to the party
Old 02 August 2014, 13:37   #118
Jeff_HxC2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by subone View Post
Thanks for that release

it doesn't work on A500 or A1200 with hfe format. (Guru Error after title screen)
Does anybody try with HxC ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT View Post
In all cases, my work is configured to work on a REAL Amiga, anything additional to that definition is of no interest to me.
Works with the latest firmware version with the track change settling time increased (5ms->16ms).

Anyway, FYI, the trackloader used here seems to be quite flakey with any floppy disk drive or emulator having a low track change settling time.
Old 02 August 2014, 13:49   #119
DDNI
Targ Explorer

Send a message via ICQ to DDNI Send a message via MSN to DDNI
Had five mins with this on my 030 A1200. I did not RTFM so apologies if these are obvious user errors.

1. If the character gets into a corner like the ramp just above the plane crashh site, then the other survivors block him in and he cant move. I had to restart.
2. If the lead character goes over the cliff edge, the other characters still ask him what to, but then just stand there. I had to restart.
3. At the beginning, there is a bag near the plane and supplies just north of the ramp. If the main character approaches the supplies he gets the option to pick up the supplies and the bag that is on the other side of the ramp. If you choose to pick up both he gets stuck trying to walk through the ramp to the bag.
4. There are glitches that appear to be remnants of the inventory window.
Old 02 August 2014, 14:38   #120
Codetapper

1. You can send other characters to pick up other items by pressing Space and choosing them. They will sometimes get out of your way by doing this.
2. Press Space and choose another character to control when the main one dies.
3. I'm pretty sure you can play around with the inventory screen to cancel one of the pickups.
AdSense AdSense