English Amiga Board Amiga Lore

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 14 July 2014, 16:34   #1
villadelfia

Winuae strange freezing.

I have an extremely strange issue with WinUAE at the moment.

Whenever I start the emulation (so when I click start on the config window) or when I quit the emulator after emulation has started, or when I release focus and take it back, my entire system freezes for exactly 15 seconds, and I do mean exactly.

During this freezing, I cannot use the mouse or interact with my system in any way, and if I have music playing from other sources, it cuts out after about 7 seconds.

I have included the winuae logs.

I have also ran a profiler in kernel mode, to see where the holdup is during this period, and during these 15 seconds, winuae is waiting for a function call completely internal to winuae to resolve.

Lastly, to confirm that my gpu drivers are not the issue, I have checked the dpc latency of my gpu drivers to determine if it's them that are freezing for exactly 15 seconds, however I see no unusual response times.

Since it is always exactly 15 seconds, I'm assuming that winuae is waiting for something, and then that call is timing out after 15 seconds.

Please advise.
Attached Files
File Type: txt winuaebootlog.txt (20.7 KB, 63 views)
File Type: txt winuaelog.txt (6.1 KB, 50 views)

AdSense AdSense  
Old 14 July 2014, 19:25   #2
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Strange. WinUAE (or any application) can't stop Windows desktop mouse or pause the sound that way.

Some security/malware detection program misbehaving?

Does it still happen if you disable sound (Sound panel) and change graphics mode to DirectDraw (Misc panel) before starting emulation?
Old 14 July 2014, 20:26   #3
villadelfia

I have no security software installed, so that can't be it.

Both direct3d and directdraw cause this behaviour.

Disabling sound does not help.

I have however found out what does help: I need to unplug my Xinput controllers (xbox 360 controllers), then it doesn't freeze anymore.

Old 14 July 2014, 20:54   #4
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

I have never had any problems with XBox360 controllers (wired or wireless). Do you have up to date driver? (At least Windows7 built-in driver has update available)
Old 14 July 2014, 20:58   #5
Snake79

Quote:
Originally Posted by villadelfia View Post

I have however found out what does help: I need to unplug my Xinput controllers (xbox 360 controllers), then it doesn't freeze anymore.
I have XBox 360 wired controller too and doesn't have any issues as well (generic Win7HP SP1 built in driver). Strange... Try reinstalling DirectX drivers also...

Last edited by Snake79; 14 July 2014 at 21:17.
Old 14 July 2014, 21:50   #6
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

It probably is some USB-specific problem. If you have multiple ports connected to different controllers (for example USB2 vs USB3), does switching to another port cause same problem? Does other USB game controllers have same problem?
Old 14 July 2014, 23:33   #7
Dunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
Strange. WinUAE (or any application) can't stop Windows desktop mouse or pause the sound that way.
Sorry to butt in, but that's not the case. Chrome does it regularly for me - the whole system freezes when closing a tab if there's a large web page open in there. MS Security Essentials used to do it too, until I uninstalled all security software.

As you were, and apologies for the intrusion.
Old 15 July 2014, 08:06   #8
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Yes, I really mean it. Any properly working systems won't freeze, not even during heavy swapping. (EDIT: I mean freeze that lasts seconds)
AdSense AdSense