English Amiga Board


Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

 
 
Thread Tools
Old 03 July 2014, 23:46   #21
Gunnar
Registered User

 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Germany
Posts: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by voyager View Post
No no no.. ;-) I mean the software for the FPGA core it self
But this is there already.

I think there are 4 to 5 different 68K cores developed already.
Some are faster some are slower.

I think I know of 4 different AMIGA chipsets..
Some with AGA some without

I think the code to put in the FPGA is there...
Gunnar is offline  
AdSense AdSense  
Old 03 July 2014, 23:47   #22
Mrs Beanbag
Glastonbridge Software
Mrs Beanbag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Edinburgh/Scotland
Posts: 2,202
I would buy one of these that was AGA + 020 compatible but faster and with lots of RAM, in a heartbeat. I would like to design a case for one, A1200 style with built-in keyboard and slimline optical drive on the side
Mrs Beanbag is offline  
Old 04 July 2014, 00:16   #23
Akira
Registered User

Akira's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: New York
Posts: 18,304
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnar View Post
You would get a compatible System to the best AMIGA 4000
with Cyberstrom, Cybervision, Network Card, USB Card,
for a fraction of the price.
And the system would be brandnew, with waranty.
I totally get your point, believe me. And my opinion does not count, I just am curious about the driving force behind such projects.

I can't help to think though that there are a bunch of projects that are similar (Minimigs, FPGA-arcades, Chameleons, Natamis and all that) and in the end what happens is that people get demotivated and let the projects, unfortunately, rot. I think maybe this could be avoided if all the people interested in the platform would actually work together into one unified effort.

There's lots of brilliant minds in the community to make something happen, but alone it's much harder.
Akira is offline  
Old 04 July 2014, 00:27   #24
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Retrofan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Lanzarote/Spain
Posts: 5,667
Send a message via Skype™ to Retrofan
I would preffer an accelerator&RTG for my A1200 than a complete "Pc" in a different case.
Retrofan is offline  
Old 04 July 2014, 00:36   #25
Gunnar
Registered User

 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Germany
Posts: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
I totally get your point, believe me. And my opinion does not count, I just am curious about the driving force behind such projects.
You are right.
You ask the key question.

And I'm not sure about what is best for AMIGA.


Dennis made the Minimig chipset. This was great work.
The Minimig hardware is rather simple.
If produced in numbers the Minimig could have been sold at Wallmart for $49 - and still with good profit.

Why did this not happen?
Can someone explain this?
Gunnar is offline  
Old 04 July 2014, 00:38   #26
spud
Registered User

 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: London, UK
Posts: 206
Because the world moved on.
spud is offline  
Old 04 July 2014, 00:41   #27
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Retrofan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Lanzarote/Spain
Posts: 5,667
Send a message via Skype™ to Retrofan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnar View Post
Why did this not happen?
Can someone explain this?
I want my A1200 case. Add whatever. That's my explanation.
Retrofan is offline  
Old 04 July 2014, 00:49   #28
TCD
Registered User

TCD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Germany
Age: 39
Posts: 24,032
Quote:
Originally Posted by spud View Post
Because the world moved on.
^ This.

There is no next gen Amiga. There might be a niche product with an Amiga sticker on it, but there's already the X1000. Of course a cheaper alternative is welcome, but it'll hardly make an impact. Developers will go where the money is and the few that are 'believers' already have enough different 'Amiga' successors to deliver. Alll the best, but you'll hardly make an impact with any Amiga semi-compatible system.
TCD is offline  
Old 04 July 2014, 00:52   #29
Gunnar
Registered User

 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Germany
Posts: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCD View Post
^ This.

There is no next gen Amiga. There might be a niche product with an Amiga sticker on it, but there's already the X1000. Of course a cheaper alternative is welcome, but it'll hardly make an impact. Developers will go where the money is and the few that are 'believers' already have enough different 'Amiga' successors to deliver. Alll the best, but you'll hardly make an impact with any Amiga semi-compatible system.
You are right.
The X1000 is not compatible but has an AMIGA sticker on it.

The FPGA system on the other could be 100% compatible.
Gunnar is offline  
Old 04 July 2014, 00:56   #30
TCD
Registered User

TCD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Germany
Age: 39
Posts: 24,032
But then again emulators are too. You really think that a new system besides OS4 and MorphOS would get any new development going? How many systems do you think would sell? Even given a price of 100$ per system.
TCD is offline  
Old 04 July 2014, 01:02   #31
Gunnar
Registered User

 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Germany
Posts: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCD View Post
But then again emulators are too. You really think that a new system besides OS4 and MorphOS would get any new development going? How many systems do you think would sell? Even given a price of 100$ per system.
Do you only know 2 neo AMIGA OS systems?

Come on there is AROS too.
Some people even think that AROS has the biggest potential of the three.

AROS could run perfectly on this box.
You would not only have the NEO AMIGA AROS - you could even run all old classic AMIGA games and software natively.
Gunnar is offline  
Old 04 July 2014, 01:09   #32
TCD
Registered User

TCD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Germany
Age: 39
Posts: 24,032
AROS runs on cheap PCs, so your point is rather moot.

You didn't answer my question though. I guess you are aware that this FPGA is another niche solution that will bring nothing new. Porting games from other platforms isn't going to get many new customers you see.

You wanted to know why this won't sell at Walmart and I think we established why it won't.
TCD is offline  
Old 04 July 2014, 01:13   #33
OlafSch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Nuernberg
Posts: 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCD View Post
AROS runs on cheap PCs, so your point is rather moot.

You didn't answer my question though. I guess you are aware that this FPGA is another niche solution that will bring nothing new. Porting games from other platforms isn't going to get many new customers you see.

You wanted to know why this won't sell at Walmart and I think we established why it won't.
Strange... I use the 68k version and heard rumors that it even run on real hardware... Strange but perhaps I am wrong...

I can say you why it has chances to sell... in opposite to your AmigaOS or MorphOS it has the "geek factor", it is special, interesting, different to a standard PC. And there are many people who remember amiga and might be tempted if it is cheap enough. Why sells the Raspberry? Not because of its hardware but because of the price.

@Gunnar

Big company investing sounds nice, do you have somebody interested or just theory? It would be great of course to have somebody again investing in the platform.

Last edited by TCD; 04 July 2014 at 01:25. Reason: Back-to-back posts merged
OlafSch is offline  
Old 04 July 2014, 01:18   #34
TCD
Registered User

TCD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Germany
Age: 39
Posts: 24,032
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlafSch View Post
Strange... I use the 68k version and heard rumors that it even run on real hardware... Strange but perhaps I am wrong...
Or that even. Means we don't really need any special new hardware to run AROS. Doesn't it?
TCD is offline  
Old 04 July 2014, 01:19   #35
Gunnar
Registered User

 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Germany
Posts: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCD View Post
You wanted to know why this won't sell at Walmart and I think we established why it won't.
Why should this not sell at Walmart?

The C64 Joystick was device which sold great.

With a FPGA base system you could create both.
An compatible classic AMIGA game system - which could sell in thousand at Walmart. And a system which could be use with original 68K software and AROS at the same time. You could use the free AROS as legal kickstart replacement and play games - you could ven use AROS with modern webbrowsers in such a system to surf the internet...

Now tell us why should this not sell at Walmart?
Gunnar is offline  
Old 04 July 2014, 01:21   #36
OlafSch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Nuernberg
Posts: 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCD View Post
Or that even. Means we don't really need any special new hardware to run AROS. Doesn't it?
Toni Wilen has invested some work in the Roms recently, f.e. added PSF3 support and added Blitter support. Wawa has tested it recently and said it becomes usable even without RTG (he has 060 so he cannot say how it behave on say 030)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnar View Post
Why should this not sell at Walmart?

The C64 Joystick was device which sold great.

With a FPGA base system you could create both.
An compatible classic AMIGA game system - which could sell in thousand at Walmart. And a system which could be use with original 68K software and AROS at the same time. You could use the free AROS as legal kickstart replacement and play games - you could ven use AROS with modern webbrowsers in such a system to surf the internet...

Now tell us why should this not sell at Walmart?
Sounds good. It could be a new start for the platform but we need investors (people or companies) who take the risk and produce it in big numbers.

Last edited by TCD; 04 July 2014 at 01:24. Reason: Back-to-back posts merged
OlafSch is offline  
Old 04 July 2014, 01:24   #37
TCD
Registered User

TCD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Germany
Age: 39
Posts: 24,032
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnar View Post
Now tell us why should this not sell at Walmart?
Do you even know how much the C64 DTV was sold for? I guess I'll leave this thread to the delusionists then and keep my opinion for myself. All the best with your wonder-cure and its amazing ways to sell
TCD is offline  
Old 04 July 2014, 01:31   #38
Gunnar
Registered User

 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Germany
Posts: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlafSch View Post
Big company investing sounds nice, do you have somebody interested or just theory? It would be great of course to have somebody again investing in the platform.
I agree that a big company could make a big difference for the platform.
Commodore was good in producing their system for little money and selling them for an affortable price.

The A500 was good value for the money.
The A1200 also was good value for the money.

I miss this good value for the money.
Could a good value for the money be produced again?
What would it needed for this?
Gunnar is offline  
Old 04 July 2014, 01:32   #39
robinsonb5
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Norfolk, UK
Posts: 522
The only downside I see in the SoCkit board is the lack of HDMI - much as I don't want to see VGA disappear, it does seem to be on its way out now.
robinsonb5 is offline  
Old 04 July 2014, 01:36   #40
Gunnar
Registered User

 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Germany
Posts: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by robinsonb5 View Post
The only downside I see in the SoCkit board is the lack of HDMI - much as I don't want to see VGA disappear, it does seem to be on its way out now.
This system has HDMI
http://www.altera.com/products/devki...gx_starter.jpg
It costs 150 but it has only 512 MB fastmem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCD View Post
Do you even know how much the C64 DTV was sold for? I guess I'll leave this thread to the delusionists then and keep my opinion for myself. All the best with your wonder-cure and its amazing ways to sell
Do you have any clue what a Minimig system really costs to produce in numbers?
If wanted you can produce a Minimig system for less than $20.

Last edited by TCD; 04 July 2014 at 01:49. Reason: Back-to-back posts merged
Gunnar is offline  
AdSense AdSense  
 


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Amiga X1000 needs a next gen Launch Game fondpondforever Amiga scene 37 18 August 2014 15:46
Collective order: X500 Plus next gen case inspired to Amiga 500's shape Omolungo News 10 16 February 2013 00:59
Classic 1st Gen EA games for the Amiga illy5603 support.Games 8 03 July 2010 03:59
Next-gen Amiga development LaundroMat Coders. General 3 05 October 2002 01:30
People vs. the Amiga Inc. oldpx Amiga scene 19 21 March 2002 02:51

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 15:22.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Page generated in 0.45509 seconds with 11 queries