English Amiga Board Amiga Lore

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 13 June 2014, 14:07   #1
Wiffleplop
Cute but not bright

Floppy disk Workbench disk updates

I've just unpacked my A1200 and apart from lacking a mouse, doh! I've only got Workbench 2 on a very scratched up former magazine disk, which isn't up to much, or gonna last very long

I don't yet have any gubbins to permit me to download anything from the Internet, so I'm probably going to have to buy one off eBay, along with a set of 3.1 ROMs. The question is this: What are my alternatives? I have a PCMCIA card on the way, and am considering a CF HDD in the tap door cavity, but that's no use to me today.

Any advice on extra RAM too? My tablet won't let me search, as the moment the keyboard pops up, the search box disappears. I'm using Firefox on Android
AdSense AdSense  
Old 13 June 2014, 14:25   #2
Vot

You can make a complete hdd setup in winuae on your pc and transfer it to cf card then put it in your amiga and boot it. Better yet you can put adf images of workbench on the cf card. Then when you install the cf card you can write the workbench disks back to floppies.

The way i look at it is if you have an amiga with genuine roms then your licensed to write floppies of that version of workbench.. You couldn't buy the amiga without it.

Also you plug the cf card into the onboard ide connector inside the amiga not in the trapoor slot.

You can buy cheap converters like the following:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/380680314493 (no idea how reliable this seller is)

And a cable if you need it:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/141310756303 (no idea how reliable this seller is)

As for ram, personally I went for an ACA accelerator with 64mb ram on it. You could try tracking down an old accelerator or ram expansion but their not worth the money IMHO.

Last edited by Vot; 13 June 2014 at 14:41.
Old 13 June 2014, 15:19   #3
Wiffleplop
Cute but not bright

Thanks Vot I've learned summit! My trouble is that I left the Amiga scene after the 500, and didn't see any of the intervening modding, so I'm a total bonehead when it comes to all that. Can I plug a CF adapter into the PCMCIA slot? Think I have one lying around somewhere I could press into service.

Must sort out the mouse first though, as I haven't yet worked out the keyboard equivalent of a click Wish I'd kept at least some of my old gear

The ACA boards will have to wait until the bank balance recovers
Old 13 June 2014, 15:34   #4
Hewitson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiffleplop View Post
Must sort out the mouse first though, as I haven't yet worked out the keyboard equivalent of a click
LMB = Left Alt+Left Amiga
RMB = Right Alt+Right Amiga
Old 13 June 2014, 15:48   #5
Wiffleplop
Cute but not bright

Thanks for that chap Just bought an Amiga mouse off eBay, but will probably be looking to get an Optical mouse hooked up to an internal USB/PS2 card in the near future. I remember the woes of having dirty balls!
Old 13 June 2014, 15:54   #6
Hewitson

The original CBM mice are very sensitive to dirt. For some reason, the newer Amiga mice do not seem to suffer from DBS (Dirty Balls Syndrome).

Old 13 June 2014, 16:24   #7
Wiffleplop
Cute but not bright

Good stuff - that's the one I went for. I remember going through around half a dozen of the old fashioned so-called "tank" mice before I was done with the 4 A500s we used to use for development. Must go on the hunt for a copy of Deluxe Paint when I get a minute, as that's what I spent most of my day sat in front of back when I had a full head of hair
Old 13 June 2014, 16:30   #8
ptyerman

You can find Deluxe Paint on the EAB ftp, all versions. I know what you mean about a full head of hair, I think I've forgot what it is to have one though!
Old 13 June 2014, 16:55   #9
Nobby_UK

Re: Compact Flash Adapter
You can buy ones which connect direct to the pins on the mobo :

Also there are also SD card adapters -
which I am currently using.
(SD cards are cheaper + easier to find)

I have spares of both

You do not need the 3.1 ROMS
unless you are going to go OS 3.5 > 3.9
Old 13 June 2014, 23:27   #10
Wiffleplop
Cute but not bright

Floppy disk

I'm afraid I went a bit nuts today and ordered a bunch of stuff the damned FDD has packed up though I was trying to load an old Simpsons game when a horrible grinding noise started coming from the disk, followed by an unrecoverable disk error with that and any subsequent disks I tried, including my dodgy looking Workbench disk. Deep joy I'm a little peeved, and have contacted the seller on eBay about a partial refund to cover getting a new drive. Probably a dry bearing causing an inconsistent head speed or something. It's a good job they don't cost 250 apiece like they did when I got my first A500.
Old 14 June 2014, 01:14   #11
Nobby_UK

There should be a few more floating around since the advent of the Gotek drive
Old 14 June 2014, 01:41   #12
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
the damned FDD has packed up though I was trying to load an old Simpsons game when a horrible grinding noise started coming from the disk, followed by an unrecoverable disk error with that and any subsequent disks I tried, including my dodgy looking Workbench disk. Deep joy I'm a little peeved, and have contacted the seller on eBay about a partial refund to cover getting a new drive. Probably a dry bearing causing an inconsistent head speed or something. It's a good job they don't cost 250 apiece like they did when I got my first A500.
It sounds to me like your old Simpsons game disk may have been afflicted with mould growth. This would have produced a squealing noise while the disk was spinning and contaminated the drive heads, and it is this which is now causing the same symptoms with all subsequent disks.

The floppy drive and disks may just need a good clean.
Old 14 June 2014, 02:49   #13
Wiffleplop
Cute but not bright

mould? Wow! The joys of vintage computing! lol I'll have a look once the new drive arrives - the disks are somewhat scabby looking. What do you recommend to clean the disks and head? IPA?
Old 14 June 2014, 13:57   #14
Vot

You cantboot off pcmcia unless you have custom kickstart chips. Pcmcia is still handy once you have things setup it allows you to easily transfer files from your pc to your amiga. However you going to find it a pain to transfer the files over to the amiga to set it up.

Sd card adapters are fine if you find one that works with the amiga. Just ask people here which ones they have ordered and work. (With cf you don't need to worry about the adapter its just a dumb device. You just need a cf card that works with the amiga. Sandisk is what most people recommend but other brands work, its just a bit of hit and miss)
Old 14 June 2014, 15:12   #15
Wiffleplop
Cute but not bright

Thanks Vot - I'm going down the CF Card PCMCIA and HD route. In fact, the CF adapter arrived with a disk this morning, but I've yet to try it out until my replacement FDD arrives.

Back to the subject of mould. Is there anything I should be looking for on a visual inspection to see whether a disk is mouldy? I don't want to wreck another FDD, as I don't yet know how to clean one.

Just remembered - my A1200 has an A600 PSU. Is that akin to the A500 PSU with plenty of watts, or is it low wattage like the A500's supply? There's no wattage value given on the case, which seems odd.
Old 14 June 2014, 16:30   #16
ancalimon
Supernormal

Quote:
Just remembered - my A1200 has an A600 PSU. Is that akin to the A500 PSU with plenty of watts, or is it low wattage like the A500's supply? There's no wattage value given on the case, which seems odd.
You are going to need a better psu that is not 15+ years old. Check Amigakit for something safer.
Old 14 June 2014, 16:42   #17
Wiffleplop
Cute but not bright

Will do. Is it 23W for the A1200, 25W for the A600, but more like 45W for the A500? Amigakit are going to simply LOVE me!
Old 14 June 2014, 17:56   #18
ptyerman

Amigakit sell a converted ATX PSU for the A500/600/1200, I think it's 300w so will be plenty.
Old 14 June 2014, 18:17   #19
Hewitson

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancalimon View Post
You are going to need a better psu that is not 15+ years old. Check Amigakit for something safer.
I've never had any problems with the original power supplies. Of course I'd probably be very disappointed if I actually opened one and saw how cheaply they were made.
Old 14 June 2014, 19:20   #20
Wiffleplop
Cute but not bright

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptyerman View Post
Amigakit sell a converted ATX PSU for the A500/600/1200, I think it's 300w so will be plenty.
If you mean this one here, that's for a 1200T, unless I'm not seeing straight today (wouldn't be surprised if I'm honest ).
AdSense AdSense